The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
61 - 80 of 86 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,556 Posts
My G5620T CB has been up for a while on various sites and although there have been hundreds of views, no takers. It is not just my guitar I'm talking about, a lot of Gretschs seem to take a loooong time to move.

Any thoughts as to why they seem to not be very appealing to most ?
Personally, I haven't played a Gretsch yet that I've liked. The neck doesn't do it for me and I found them acoustically inert. I do like their designs and looks though. That being said, Gretsch is one brand I would never buy sight unseen.

·
Premium Member
12,972 Posts
Sometime in the mid '70s my parents were invited for dinner with friends and asked me to tag along. Normally I wouldn't have but there was a promise of something interesting. Ends up the host was a pro live TV and radio studio musician with a basement full of cool gear, including two (that I recall) Gretsch guitars that I was invited to play. Me, a snot-nosed teenager drooling over stuff I'd only ever seen in Guitar Player magazine. Even having virtually no point of reference, I was astonished by the tone and playability.

All that to say there's a vast difference between the best Gretsch models and the also-ran models.

·
Premium Member
431 Posts
I spoke earlier in this thread but will update my posts. I own and have owned many Gretsch’s from Vintage to reissue and there have been a few Korean models in there . I will say that the higher end 6 series (Japan) is overall a much better guitar in stock form, they just are. The 2 stock electromatics I owned were gone after very short stays . Weak points are the pickups, tuners, nut and Bigsby compared to the 6 series.

I have found that I “personally” don’t care for the Filtertron sound in Gretsch’s. Just too warm for me and although it’s a great sound …it’s not my style . But I LOVE a Gretsch equipped with The single coil DeArmonds/Hi Lo Trons or Dynasonics…they have a snap and twang to them that is just pure music to my ears…Duane Eddy tones. I play a bunch of 50’s-60’s classic country and Rock so these fit just perfect.

Here is the list of Gretsch’s I own or have owned within the last 6 months . Some are gone ..mostly the ones with Filtertrons.

• 1959 Gretsch Duo Jet (Black)
  • 1960 Gretsch Double Anniversary (Smoke Green)
  • 1964 Gretsch 6120 x 2 (Western Orange)
  • 1965 Gretsch Country Gentleman (Walnut)
  • 2014 ‘57 Gretsch Duo Jet (George Harrison Reissue) ..Black
  • 2005 Gretsch Billy Bo (Red)
  • 2004 ‘57 Gretsch 6120 (Reissue and is Glorious) …Western Orange
  • 2003 Gretsch 6120 (Brian Setzer) Green
  • 2004 ‘59 Gretsch Duo Jet (Silver Sparkle)
  • 2008 Electromatic 5422 (White with Gold)
  • 2009 ‘59 Reissue Gretsch Double Anniversary (Smoke Green)

Out of all of these …the best in my opinion are the single cut ‘57 Reissue 6120 with Dynasonics and the 1960 Double Anniversary (Single Cut) with Hi-Lo Trons. They just suit me the best

I will try post a video clip of the 6120 if I can find one .

·
Premium Member
431 Posts
The look. It just doesn't do it for me.
Yeah for sure not for everyone . I’m a retro guy myself …I love the look of 50’s-60’s fashion, house decor, Cars, guitars etc…and of course the sound of the guitars of that era so they suit me ….but 100% agree they aren’t for everyone.

For example …”myself” I would never own or play a PRS guitar or others of that type. I don’t think they look good whatsoever and just am not attracted to them ….even many Les Paul’s are just so so to me …..but another guy will tell you they are the most beautiful guitar ever created and I’m an idiot …lol ….. It’s all preference for sure ….not saying they aren’t good guitars …just don’t do it for me personally. And that’s what makes the guitar industry so amazing and the massive variety of guitars we all get to enjoy and try .

·
Registered
277 Posts
I’m REALLY late to the thread, I’ve had 3 Gretches that I picked up in trades, a MIK 5120, and a couple of MIC guitars, I think they were Jet variants.

My take:

The pickups were really muddy, the finishes were not as good as some Epiphones I’ve had, and they really didn’t feel good in the hands. I wanted to love them, but really didn’t.

I think the Ibanez Artcore series are a far superior hollow body, especially the early 2000’s models, and they are much cheaper.

In terms of the Jet types, they have a look about them, but I’d want to change the pickups out to TVJones models or something along those lines.

US Gretches are probably night and day different, but I’ve never seen one in the flesh. They are legendary so there’s obviously something there, but I have the feeling that the imports are just riding that branding and reputation.
There’s a sweet spot between the guitars you’ve tried and the US-made options. Since the 90s, and especially since Fender started overseeing production in 2003, the prolines (6xxx models) have been made in Japan and are excellent guitars. The only US-made guitars are hand made custom shop models from Fender’s California master builders and they are $$$$. Also, the 54xx models are better regarded than the 51xx, but often get modded anyway. I look for deals on the Japanese models and have never been unhappy.

I spoke earlier in this thread but will update my posts. I own and have owned many Gretsch’s from Vintage to reissue and there have been a few Korean models in there . I will say that the higher end 6 series (Japan) is overall a much better guitar in stock form, they just are. The 2 stock electromatics I owned were gone after very short stays . Weak points are the pickups, tuners, nut and Bigsby compared to the 6 series.

I have found that I “personally” don’t care for the Filtertron sound in Gretsch’s. Just too warm for me and although it’s a great sound …it’s not my style . But I LOVE a Gretsch equipped with The single coil DeArmonds/Hi Lo Trons or Dynasonics…they have a snap and twang to them that is just pure music to my ears…Duane Eddy tones. I play a bunch of 50’s-60’s classic country and Rock so these fit just perfect.

Here is the list of Gretsch’s I own or have owned within the last 6 months . Some are gone ..mostly the ones with Filtertrons.

• 1959 Gretsch Duo Jet (Black)
  • 1960 Gretsch Double Anniversary (Smoke Green)
  • 1964 Gretsch 6120 x 2 (Western Orange)
  • 1965 Gretsch Country Gentleman (Walnut)
  • 2014 ‘57 Gretsch Duo Jet (George Harrison Reissue) ..Black
  • 2005 Gretsch Billy Bo (Red)
  • 2004 ‘57 Gretsch 6120 (Reissue and is Glorious) …Western Orange
  • 2003 Gretsch 6120 (Brian Setzer) Green
  • 2004 ‘59 Gretsch Duo Jet (Silver Sparkle)
  • 2008 Electromatic 5422 (White with Gold)
  • 2009 ‘59 Reissue Gretsch Double Anniversary (Smoke Green)

Out of all of these …the best in my opinion are the single cut ‘57 Reissue 6120 with Dynasonics and the 1960 Double Anniversary (Single Cut) with Hi-Lo Trons. They just suit me the best

I will try post a video clip of the 6120 if I can find one .
My Double Anni with Hilotrons sounds amazing. Why no one talks about these, I’m not sure!

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
I'm a fan, I have one, but this is why I probably wont ever buy another one, although I would buy a G6121-1959 if it wasn't discontinued:

Most of them have a short scale [including the 6121].

The old ones need the binding fixed.

The new ones have US prices for a Japanese guitar and the pickups never sound right [try replacing them with Ray Butts]. They mostly don't have vintage specs and hardly any have zero-frets.

The cheap ones are cheap.

·
Premium Member
431 Posts
I'm a fan, I have one, but this is why I probably wont ever buy another one, although I would buy a G6121-1959 if it wasn't discontinued:

The new ones have US prices for a Japanese guitar and the pickups never sound right [try replacing them with Ray Butts]. They mostly don't have vintage specs.

The 6 series Japanese models are every bit as high quality as anything made in the US . They are made with very high standards and high quality parts . Just like the Fender Japanese made vintage reissue Strats and teles …they are the same high quality as the American Made AVRI series …

The Japanese 6 series reissues for the most part perform better than all my vintage ones I have had, More reliable for sure …I have only had minor minor binding issues with one of my vintage Gretch’s, all the others have been perfect binding.

·
Premium Member
Reverend Flatroc (1st gen import), Gibson Melody Maker (2003 variation), Tele Builds
5,445 Posts
So many of my favourite players play them (Billy Zoom from X being a big one). I bought a really nice very upgraded Electromatic about 3 years back hoping to love it. But I just never got a feel for it. My buddy has one of those beautiful looking new double cuts in the natural finish. Same thing.

My Reverend Flatroc is an older model with their filtertrons, and a chambered mahogany body and spruce top. But it has a fender scale neck and a Les Trem. I love it. I get basically the same tones, but I love the feel.

But beyond that, the higher end models are pricey and the Electromatic are just never that hard to find used.

Motor vehicle Vehicle Rectangle Automotive tire Automotive design

·
Registered
277 Posts

The new ones have US prices for a Japanese guitar and the pickups never sound right [try replacing them with Ray Butts]. They mostly don't have vintage specs and hardly any have zero-frets.

I have a 6121-1959 and it’s quite a thing of beauty. I play it less than my 6120 and 6117, in part because it’s so fancy. I’m afraid of scratching it! It does stand out as the only Gretsch with a wider neck.

·
Registered
Gibsons, Fenders and a Knaggs
252 Posts
I had a white falcon a bit over a year ago. My mom was coming for a visit to see the grandkids and it was being sold in my hometown for a great price.

I wanted to love it. But like everyone has said, I found it awkward and bulky (I mostly play standing). Ended up selling for the same price took a few months.

Also my wife said I looked ridiculous with this gawdy blingy thing. That counts more than anything in our house
Musical instrument Guitar Musical instrument accessory Guitar accessory String instrument accessory

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,284 Posts
I was thinking of Rickenbacker the other day. I'm kind of surprised they're still around.
Because they decided long ago to stay the same successful, niche guitar company that can profitably sell as many guitars as they’re capable of making as opposed to trying to become a worldwide, mega-brand.

They could have different levels of instruments, built in every corner of the world, priced for every budget, but they’re completely content to just keep doing what they’ve always done and make “enough” money. A lot of companies seems to be in an endless pursuit of growing the brand and no amount of sales is ever enough. The guitars seem to be secondary.

Fender is a successful corporation. Rickenbacker is a successful guitar company.

·
Premium Member
1,209 Posts
Because they decided long ago to stay the same successful, niche guitar company that can profitably sell as many guitars as they’re capable of making as opposed to trying to become a worldwide, mega-brand.

They could have different levels of instruments, built in every corner of the world, priced for every budget, but they’re completely content to just keep doing what they’ve always done and make “enough” money. A lot of companies seems to be in an endless pursuit of growing the brand and no amount of sales is ever enough. The guitars seem to be secondary.

Fender is a successful corporation. Rickenbacker is a successful guitar company.
That seems like a reasonable explanation. So that can't be it

61 - 80 of 86 Posts