The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a Zvex Nano today. Should get it sometime next week. Anyone have experience with these? I have some extra speakers floating around and want to build a cab for it. Not sure what to build. 1x12 or 2x12...

As for the purchase itself. Completely impulsive. Always wanted to try one. Can't wait to compare it to my modded Epi VJ.

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got a Box of Rock and I'm hoping it doesn't sound exactly like the Nano. I'll see soon enough.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Cool! I'd like to try one of those.

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Can't wait to try it. All I've heard are the sound bits on YouTube and the website. I'll see what it sounds like next to my modded Epi VJ and then decide if it's a keeper or not.

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I got the Nano head today. Of course I plugged it in running through a 2x12 cab (Greenback and 70/80 spkrs) wired for 16 ohms. Sounded ok but wasn't very loud. I wasn't expecting to get blown off my feet but all the reviews said it was really loud for a 1 watt amp.

So then I plugged it into a Traynor 1x12 extension cab loaded with a Tone Tubby TT Ceramic 40/40. WOW! Wicked. It's pretty loud but no too loud. Sounds awesome and very versatile. Haven't tried it with my Strat yet but I'll do that later.

Definitely a keeper for now.

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
Sounded ok but wasn't very loud. I wasn't expecting to get blown off my feet but all the reviews said it was really loud for a 1 watt amp.
QUOTE]

Most people are expecting that at 1 watt they can crank it wide open without bothering anyone. They are shocked when they find out how loud 1 watt really is; too loud for an apartment I'm sure . . .

TG

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Figured out why the 2x12 wasn't very loud....drum roll......in my haste to hook the little head up to a cab and accidentally the speaker wire running through an attenuator - duuuuhhhhhh!!! Normally I am much brighter than that!

With that minor issue out of the way that little 1 watter is pretty loud. Perfect though - because I can crank it and get that sweet saturated sound without using an attenuator and without blowing the windows off my house. It's a perfect little overdriven amp. The cleans are ok but nothing special. Of course that isn't what it was designed for anyways.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts