The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
I'd be interested to hear what your thoughts are on it. I've been looking at the Q2/3/4 lately as a solution for videos. I'm pretty happy with how my iPhone captures video, but the audio isn't great. I'm hoping to use a Zoom as a the main static cam and audio and use the iPhone for a 2nd shot/mobile cam.

·
Super Moderator
15,746 Posts
Strangely enough I picked up a used Q2HD from L&M yesterday, for a lot more than $40 I might add. Anyway I just plugged it in and recorded this, haven't read the manual yet so it might get better. As you can see i went to great lengths to dress appropriately and set up a nice exotic background (not). Also had no clue what to play so ignore all of that shit and listen to the recording. Reinhardt 18 combo and just cycling through my pedalboard. Strat Ultra with lace pups btw. Arthritic hands and brain.

L

·
0 Posts
That came through surprisingly well.
Would you say that the sound from the vid represents what you heard in your room?

·
Registered
9,286 Posts
Your ensemble was awesome! Your such a fashionista. ;)

Seriously, even though you were just checking things out with your new toy, your tone, vibrato and playing were really interesting and so soulful! Nice playing!

·
Super Moderator
15,746 Posts
That came through surprisingly well.
Would you say that the sound from the vid represents what you heard in your room?
Yep, I was pleasantly surprised, best live recorder I've used. Video is not great but that's not why I wanted it. Hopefully will try it with the band in a couple of weeks.

·
Registered
9,286 Posts
Strangely enough I picked up a used Q2HD from L&M yesterday, for a lot more than $40 I might add. Anyway I just plugged it in and recorded this, haven't read the manual yet so it might get better. As you can see i went to great lengths to dress appropriately and set up a nice exotic background (not). Also had no clue what to play so ignore all of that shit and listen to the recording. Reinhardt 18 combo and just cycling through my pedalboard. Strat Ultra with lace pups btw. Arthritic hands and brain.

That riff at 0:40 just grabbed me! It took me on a journey and then some! Just wicked!

·
Super Moderator
15,746 Posts
That riff at 0:40 just grabbed me! It took me on a journey and then some! Just wicked!
Thanks, I don't usually think about what I'm doing, it just comes out. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't :) I like playing that riff over some Coco Montoya stuff, this one in particular.

here's the pedal board. Nothing fancy.

·
Registered
6,272 Posts

Sounds pretty decent. Looking forward to seeing how it works with the band. This is the model I was looking at as well.

My issue with my iPhone is that the audio sounds decent, but the limiter on the phone's mic is VERY aggressive, so if there's a quiet intro with just guitar, it sounds nice and full, but when the band kicks-in, the limiter aggressively reduces gain so the mic won't clip and there's a noticeable volume drop in playback. I was wondering how the mics on the Zoom stuff handle big volume transitions at club levels.

I've used the old H4n audio recorder many times and liked it, but based on price, I imagine the mics on that are better than whatever is on the Q series. Maybe not.

·
Super Moderator
15,746 Posts
Sounds pretty decent. Looking forward to seeing how it works with the band. This is the model I was looking at as well.

My issue with my iPhone is that the audio sounds decent, but the limiter on the phone's mic is VERY aggressive, so if there's a quiet intro with just guitar, it sounds nice and full, but when the band kicks-in, the limiter aggressively reduces gain so the mic won't clip and there's a noticeable volume drop in playback. I was wondering how the mics on the Zoom stuff handle big volume transitions at club levels.

I've used the old H4n audio recorder many times and liked it, but based on price, I imagine the mics on that are better than whatever is on the Q series. Maybe not.
I have an old H4 kicking around here somewhere, I'll try to record something with both. From memory I much prefer the audio quality on this Q2HD.

·
Premium Member
4,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
the zoom pad is consistent therefor the eq and subsequent need to tweaking is the same throughout. I usually eq the whole track the same and then normalize and boost output all in audacity and then. ta da. gold certified album

·
Super Moderator
15,746 Posts
Not sure if there is a good way to compare the Q2HD and my old H4. Prior to conversion and compression the Q2 seems to be a tad brighter and louder. Nothing that can't be adjusted during the processing though.

If anyone like the tone of the guitar these are Vineham Classic B pups, I personally love them. Middle position alone is worth the price of admission.

Here's the very short Q2 video and I'll try to find a way to post the H4 file.

L

·
0 Posts
They both sound good, however, the H4 really stands out in comparison.
btw, nice rendition of 'nature's way'.

·
Super Moderator
15,746 Posts
They both sound good, however, the H4 really stands out in comparison.
btw, nice rendition of 'nature's way'.
Yep, I was abe to upload the H4 as a Wave file, not sure if that was the difference. The Q2 was converted to youtube and I'm pretty sure that messes with quality. In native format the Q2 sounds much better but I think I still slightly prefer the H4.

I wasn't sure anyone would recognize "Natures Way", it's been years since I've played it, LOL.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts