The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm back at work where I finally have some free time, so here's a review of my fave new toy - not a guitar or amp for once.

ZOOM H4

I picked this up before Christmas along with a 2 gb SD card. It comes with a 128 mb card, an AC adaptor, tripod mount, and a copy of Cubase LE (if you want to also use it as a USB interface). This gadget is not much bigger than an IPod, runs on AA batteries and does multitrack or stereo recording, up to 96k/24bit wav audio, or direct to MP3.

This has to be the fastest, easiest way ever to demo a new song for bandmates to listen and learn. With a family, a job and a weekend band I don't have much time to monkey around with an elaborate home studio setup. For my first test, I plugged in a Strat and headphones and used the built in effects to dial up suitable tones for rhytm, bass and lead tracks. Then I overdubbed the vocal track on the built-in mics and bounced it all to a stereo wav file. I USB'ed it to the PC, compressed to MP3 and was ready to email it to the bandmates. The whole process took less than an hour.

This weekend I took the H4 to my bar gig (fits easily into a guitar case) and recorded a set direct to the built-in x/y stereo mics just to see what I'd get. After a few button clicks to set it to record direct to MP3, I pressed Record and let it run for an hour while the band hacked away. Again, amazingly clean audio throughout, including all the crowd ambience. We sounded every bit as terrible on MP3 as we do live! It also revealed that my mix was a bit off, so I made adjustments for the next set.

Cons: The user interface is a bit goofy and the LCD screen is a bit small. No big deal, considering everything this unit can do and the audio quality you get for the money.

The verdict? The H4 completely kicks ass!

·
Registered
541 Posts
Cool! I just bought one online. It should be delivered next week.

I've owned 2 recdorders previously (Zoom1044cd,BOSS BR-8) and I found the menu system goofy on both. It took me a while to get used to finding things in the menu and all the abreviations (due to the small screens) are confusing. But other than that I found Zoom had the better sound quality of the 2.

Any chance you'll post a clip of your jam session so we can hear how well the onboard stereo mic works?

J

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Jeff

What stores in town carry the Zoom? Any idea on the price?

Tks

Terry

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Jeff Flowerday said:
L&M and Axe off the top of my head. It's $378+taxes
Yup, mine came from Axe. Salesguy said they A/B'ed the built-in mics against the Edirol, which is more expensive and only does stereo, no multitrack. The Zoom won hands down. Then Bryan Cymbaluk told me he bought the first unit shipped because he was so blown away by the specs. I think this little gem will be a hot seller!

I did use the 320/MP3 setting for my live band test. Very nice audio and used just under 150 mb for about an hour straight recording. Concert bootleggers will love this thing!

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
I picked one up. The recording quality is pretty darn good. Just had it sitting on the floor and played acoustic and sang a little and I was quite amazed by the embience you could hear in the play back.

It was full, clear and detailed. Very Nice!

I'll give it a good work out tomorrow night at rehearsal.

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
We used it to record our whole practice last night. The recording quality is really good. I'm going to position it differently next time or maybe try good quality condensors to do a stereo track.

I'd put up a snippet, but the practice wasn't of good quality. We were drinking!

·
Registered
255 Posts
Jeff Flowerday said:
We used it to record our whole practice last night. The recording quality is really good. I'm going to position it differently next time or maybe try good quality condensors to do a stereo track.

I'd put up a snippet, but the practice wasn't of good quality. We were drinking!
Yah a few beers and were like a bunch of school girls..bla bla bla..

·
Registered
541 Posts
Robboman said:
So I finally got my H4 in the mail. I haven't had a chance to try it yet but I did notice that it doesn't have the dark gray cover that is in the pic covering the x/y mics. Did anyone else that bought one of these get one or not get one with their H4?
Are there 2 different models?
What else should be included?
The main reason why I'm asking all these questions is because the H4 came in it's origanal box but everything inside appeared to have been opened before. Kind of like it was a return and I want to be sure that some parts weren't left out.

Thanks, J

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Metal#J# said:
So I finally got my H4 in the mail. I haven't had a chance to try it yet but I did notice that it doesn't have the dark gray cover that is in the pic covering the x/y mics. Did anyone else that bought one of these get one or not get one with their H4?
Are there 2 different models?
What else should be included?
The main reason why I'm asking all these questions is because the H4 came in it's origanal box but everything inside appeared to have been opened before. Kind of like it was a return and I want to be sure that some parts weren't left out.

Thanks, J
I didn't get it either. I got a black foam clown nose, which is fun to play with.:tongue:

·
Registered
145 Posts
Jeff Flowerday said:

I'd put up a snippet, but the practice wasn't of good quality. We were
drinking!

Send snippets please ! ............ promise we wont listen to them unless we are drinkin !

:food-smiley-004:

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
davetcan said:
Very cool version of 'Little Wing" on your site. :food-smiley-004:

I'd love to hear something done on the Zoom. (pretty please)
I think Dave and I are going to get together and work on tightening up my guitar work this evening. :tongue:

We'll record some acoustic only stuff on the zoom, our singer is out town so no vocals.

Maybe we'll do Little Wing again. The Taylor should take it to a new level over his Larivee. :bow:

·
Administrator
16,153 Posts
Jeff Flowerday said:
I think Dave and I are going to get together and work on tightening up my guitar work this evening. :tongue:

We'll record some acoustic only stuff on the zoom, our singer is out town so no vocals.

Maybe we'll do Little Wing again. The Taylor should take it to a new level over his Larivee. :bow:
If he could tighten mine up in one evening I'd be paying him a lot of money. :smile:

Have fun. Little Wing sounds just fine the way it is.

·
Registered
255 Posts
The clarity is much better than the stock mics within the zoom. Crystal clear!

Only downside is importing the 400mb file into Nuendo..It takes about 30min.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Here is a recording of the zoom in action at stereo mode in 320khz mp3..The recording came in as a stereo mp3 file then split into two seperate waves..Mixed down with a bit of eq..Then mastered to bring the final level up.

http://www.guitarscanada.com/Board/showthread.php?t=3867

1 - 20 of 23 Posts