The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
I love Zep, I love Page but man I wish he'd move on. So many wasted years when he could have been creating new material.

·
Premium Member
11,823 Posts
To be fair to Mr. Page, he isn't the only one in that camp (not moving on). Some of my most revered influences are doing the same (Brian May, Steve Howe, etc).

And I can see hanging on to something as significant as what these guys have turned out. If I had created 0.1% of the great stuff any of these guys has, I'd be going on about it constantly. I'd be insufferable. You'd never hear the end of it and you'd all hate me even more than you already do. You are all so lucky I can't write my way out of a wet paper bag.

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
I'm guessing yet another remix, alternative mix, or live version of some 'hit' already played to death on classic rock radio. If it is truly new material I will have interest, but I fear yet another 'remastering' or repackaging.

I think Page is just written out. How couldn't you be after writing two out of every three classic rock riffs! I wish he would form a new group and play some rockabilly inspired stuff with a heavy dose of blues, funk, and early rock and roll. There are some great live Zep tracks where they are anything but heavy and are really swinging. Take the back half of WLL from TSRTS (the parts that are not in anyway WLL!) and run with it.

TG

·
Registered
3,309 Posts
I'm guessing yet another remix, alternative mix, or live version of some 'hit' already played to death on classic rock radio. If it is truly new material I will have interest, but I fear yet another 'remastering' or repackaging.

I think Page is just written out. How couldn't you be after writing two out of every three classic rock riffs! I wish he would form a new group and play some rockabilly inspired stuff with a heavy dose of blues, funk, and early rock and roll. There are some great live Zep tracks where they are anything but heavy and are really swinging. Take the back half of WLL from TSRTS (the parts that are not in anyway WLL!) and run with it.

TG

·
Registered
3,309 Posts

TG

·
Registered
10,033 Posts
Just reading this now, I had this random thought of Page doing something with Nels Cline. I'm not really a huge fan of either, but it could either be interesting or a complete disaster.

·
Premium Member
13,020 Posts
I'm guessing remixed and unreleased trax. His real genius is behind the mixing board

Reactions: Lord-Humongous

·
Registered
14,555 Posts
To be fair to Mr. Page, he isn't the only one in that camp (not moving on). Some of my most revered influences are doing the same (Brian May, Steve Howe, etc).
Brian May put out a real good solo album after Queen--but it went nowhere because people wanted Queen.
It was way better than anything he's done since.

Some of it does sound like Queen--because, well he was in Queen & an important part of their sound--and they all wrote songs...

But it was also different.

Reactions: Diablo

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The Firm was pretty good, in my opinion... those 2 albums weren't just Zep or Bad Co knock-offs. He definitely took a step into the modern with them. His solo Outrider was kinda uninspired though. Coverdale Page was totally Zep knock-offs! God, I can't listen to that album anymore! When it came out, I loved it.... cause it was basically new Zeppelin material, but David Coverversion is just trying too hard to be Plant.

I can't see Page finding anything we haven't heard before. I think the 90's boxed sets with Hey, Hey, What Can I Do, Traveling Riverside Blues, and Baby Come Home were it for truly unreleased.

·
Premium Member
11,823 Posts
Coda was the beginning of issuing unreleased stuff for LZ. Our impression at the time, for the most part, was "there's a reason it was unreleased." I still don't really consider it an LZ album.

But over time, we've become more wanting of some good ol' Zep, so we'll take just about anything now. I'm happy going back and listening to the stuff they thought worthy of release back when they were still all together. That stuff never gets old.

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
you know though, in the grand scheme of things...how the music industry works anymore...he probably makes way more money (which I'm quite sure the other three don't complain about) by beating a dead horse, then by trying to teach a new horse tricks...

·
Premium Member
11,823 Posts
you know though, in the grand scheme of things...how the music industry works anymore...he probably makes way more money (which I'm quite sure the other three don't complain about) by beating a dead horse, then by trying to teach a new horse tricks...
I'm pretty sure one of "those other three" doesn't complain at all. About anything. :(

·
Premium Member
3,316 Posts

And I can see hanging on to something as significant as what these guys have turned out. If I had created 0.1% of the great stuff any of these guys has, I'd be going on about it constantly. I'd be insufferable. You'd never hear the end of it and you'd all hate me even more than you already do. You are all so lucky I can't write my way out of a wet paper bag.
Howe has released over 15 solo albums. That doesn't include his Homebrew albums, Trio stuff etc. in fairness, the last solo album I bought of his was The Steve Howe Album (about the same time I bought my last Zep album, Coda :))

·
Premium Member
11,823 Posts
Howe has released over 15 solo albums. That doesn't include his Homebrew albums, Trio stuff etc. in fairness, the last solo album I bought of his was The Steve Howe Album (about the same time I bought my last Zep album, Coda :))
I didn't mean they haven't released solo stuff. They all have. It was more about the fact that both of them (and others I didn't mention) keep working the old thing as well, as does Page. The last couple of times I saw Steve Howe was with Yes. Years ago I saw a solo show of his - he was opening for Terry Bozio (I think it was). First/last time I'll go to a 2 hour long drum solo, but I enjoyed Steve's set.

·
Premium Member
9,695 Posts
Brian May put out a real good solo album after Queen--but it went nowhere because people wanted Queen.
It was way better than anything he's done since.

Some of it does sound like Queen--because, well he was in Queen & an important part of their sound--and they all wrote songs...

But it was also different.
Anybody here familiar with the Starfleet Project?
Lol..although it does answer the question"what would Brian May and EVH sound like in the same room?" ;)
Losing Freddy late in their career is a far better reason to hang it up than losing a drummer relatively early on. plus Brian's busy doing academic stuff.

·
Registered
14,555 Posts
Anybody here familiar with the Starfleet Project?
Lol..although it does answer the question"what would Brian May and EVH sound like in the same room?" ;)
Losing Freddy late in their career is a far better reason to hang it up than losing a drummer relatively early on. plus Brian's busy doing academic stuff.
I was thinking of this album:

·
Registered
46 Posts
So, a Japanese “connection” has announced through email this-

“Immigrant Song - Special 1 Track Extremely Ltd Ed (100 Copies Only) Single Soundboard Revolution Release!
This Single Track features for the very first and only time anywhere, the Legendary Authentic Perfect Stereo Soundboard from 9/29/71 Osaka!”

This, along with a single song release of Black Dog from the previous days concert (sept 28 1971) is being seen in “inner circles” as a good indication that a set of multi tracks from legendary concerts (always believed to be in the bands possesion) is being worked on for official release and bits are leaking out.

If the 50th anniversary set is indeed Japan 71, then be prepared for a treat. This is one of the eras or concert runs that Zeppelin fans feel is arguably the very best. It definitely demonstrates them with best combination of technical playing, loose atmosphere and live creativity, IMO.

A Japan 71 release would pose interesting questions regarding royalties and how that would relate to what, if anything gets cut, particularly from the whole lotta love medleys as all kinds of songs were thrown in.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts