The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
Tell your prophets to pray and tell your bandits to run.
7,600 Posts
Ah ... I was sure the slugs were only used on the Melody maker. Very different then.
I got the 2015 used but the Gibson spec page says it has a P90S - T. So it's the original pickup. The original owner got rid of the robo tuners and put Klusons on it, also put a nylon nut on there in place of the original brass one. The 2015 is a nice sounding guitar but needs a new bridge. I bought it in 2017 but if I'd known the 2018 was coming I would have waited.

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
I might have just got a bad one the the one a tried was muddy as hell, neck was super bassy, I was so disappointed!

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
I like the stock P90s in my PRS SE Soapbar II.

Brown Musical instrument Guitar String instrument String instrument

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
I might have just got a bad one the the one a tried was muddy as hell, neck was super bassy, I was so disappointed!
Did you take photos of that guitar ? I'd bet that its neck P90 was adjusted as high as the bridge P90. Out of all pickups, singlecoils, humbuckers, Filtertron, etc, a P90 is the most sensitive to height adjustment. Even the best P90 ever in neck position will sound muddy if too close to strings.

This is where a neck P90 should be.
Automotive lighting Wood Musical instrument accessory Automotive exterior Eyelash

I like the stock P90s in my PRS SE Soapbar II.
I'm with you, they probably are the best ones out there.
Musical instrument Guitar Guitar accessory String instrument String instrument

·
Premium Member
18,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
You can match the pole pieces to your radius too.

·
Premium Member
11,812 Posts
There's a pair of Seymour Duncan P-90s in my 2007 Godin LG. I like them and see/hear no reason to change them. Much better than the one that was in a Telecaster Aerodyne I had, and leagues better than a Guitar Fetish one I tried.

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
I've had several kinds (Gibson, SD Antiquities, Bare Knuckle, Lollars). The Sanford Magnetics set I had were really nice which I would describe as round/full with bite. I had them in my Yamaha SG1802.

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
I just had Craig (Vineham) wind me a set of bluesdog with the neck pickup RWRP. Great pickups, great cleans on the clean channel and cleans up nice with the overdriven tones. Very touch sensitive. 🎸

·
Premium Member
1,638 Posts
After going through all things P90 for a year including a 50’s that I got in a guitar from Hugh, I ended up keeping and loving the Fishman Gristlemaster P90’s set. Quiet and clear when wanted, warm when needed.
Really the voicings are awesome and being able to switch between them rules.

·
Premium Member
18,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Are you guys matching the poles to the radius of the neck, or sticking flat?

·
Registered
12,875 Posts
Are you guys matching the poles to the radius of the neck, or sticking flat?
Only if a string sounded a bit weaker output than the others, but usually just leave them flat and adjust the pickup overall.
With my Junior and the dog ear pickup that's a direct mount though, adjusting the poles is about all you have to go with.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Only if a string sounded a bit weaker output than the others, but usually just leave them flat and adjust the pickup overall.
With my Junior and the dog ear pickup that's a direct mount though, adjusting the poles is about all you have to go with.
For a dog ear you can always add a shim between cover and guitar surface.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Ya, I have seen those, but they seem to mostly be used on an ES type guitar.
On a flat top like the Junior, the pole adjustment seems to be enough.
Right. I played with that for awhile and came back to level with cover. That Lollar is strong enough, if pole pieces are too close to strings, it starts to lose its definition and gets a little ice picky.

Musical instrument Musical instrument accessory String instrument accessory String instrument Guitar accessory

Musical instrument String instrument String instrument String instrument accessory Plucked string instruments

Musical instrument Guitar String instrument String instrument accessory String instrument

21 - 40 of 59 Posts