The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What was the first song you played in your first band? If my memory serves me correctly (most times it doesn't) was either Gloria or Midnight Hour. :D

·
Registered
874 Posts
Grade 8 dance...we called ourselves National Muscle. No bass but 2 electrics (I think I had some old solid body hagstom) one acoustic and drums. The first tune I remember well because I practiced it forever.....House of the Rising Sun.

Tarl

·
Premium Member
2,040 Posts
"House Of The Rising Sun" by The Animals. I was in grade seven (1966) My band was called Rebel Flight.
Also no bass player. Two guitars and drums, no vocals.
At my Mom's funeral a couple of years ago, our lifelong next door neighbour, Mr. Todd, said to me (wagging his finger)"When you were a kid, you had no idea how close you came to being murdered. All I could hear was House of The Rising Sun, over and over and over for about two years."
cheers
Pete

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Well a few of us are from the same era, I'll have to go with House of the Rising Sun as the first then it was Last Kiss and on to Ghost Riders in the Sky

:DevilGuitar:

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
I think it was fat lip by sum41.:D

but that was like 4 years ago.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
It was early 1985 when I started my first band.
The first 3 songs we learned were...

Subdivisions - Rush
Baba O'Reilly - Who
Summer of '69 - B.Adams.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Hmmm... Tough one. I don't gig & never have, but the first tune I can remember jamming to with a full bad was "Cold Gin". That'll happen when two of your best pals are complete Kiss junkies...

·
Premium Member
301 Posts
First song I played with a complete band was Metallica's, Enter Sandman - Grade 9 talent show. IIRC, it was videotaped - sure hope that tape was destroyed.
First song I learned to play on my own was, Closer to the Heart by Rush.

Cheers,
Joe

·
Registered
737 Posts
Ummm, first song jamming would have to be some Rolling Stones like Jumpin' Jack Flash or Live With Me. But the first song I remember playing/practicing was Restrictions by Cactus and I still love to play that, Tim Bogert definitely had an influence on me. Also on the same album, Evil, you gotta hear that and now it's in my head for the rest of the day! Yay! :rockon2:

·
Registered
697 Posts
i've still barely learned any complete songs that arent original...

But the first riff I ever learned was either Smoke on the water or Paint it black.

·
Premium Member
1,296 Posts
I'm one of the old timers that started with the Animals version of "House of the Rising Sun", Satisfaction-Can't Get No by the Stones, People Are Strange by the Doors, and then graduating to Sunshine of Your love by Cream. Thoose were the days:rockon2:

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
I'm up there with the old guys, but jeez, I am surprised you guys can remember that far back, lol

My first band ('66) played mostly Stones, but some Animals, so I'm sure Rising Sun was in there somewhere.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
"Warning! Geezer content!"

Ah yes, "House of the Rising Sun" was one of the first but if memory serves I cut my teeth with Jimi's "Hey Joe", followed closely by "Wild Thing."

It was probably less than a week later before I was butchering the lyrics into something steeped in teenage locker room humour...:tongue:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts