The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Occasional CEO
JB Custom
1,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lunch here... Doing some wood research and had a random attack of GAS for non-existent gear and thought I'd share.

Mine would be the following:
Style: Neck-thru (reinforced neck with spoke-wheel truss rod)
Body: Ergonomically designed (lighter/thinner, and comfortable to sit or stand)
Body Wood: Spanish Cedar Core, Wenge layer, Cocobolo Heart & Sap Top
Neck: Headless, compound profile (rounder near the head, flatter near the heel)
Neck Wood: 7-piece (Flame Maple, Purpleheart, Wenge, Quilted Maple)
Fingerboard: 25.5"-26" scale (7th fret center), 24 stainless steel frets + Zero Fret
Fingerboard Wood: Cocobolo Heart & Sap
Pickups: H-S-S (fat medium output humbucker, noiseless singles)
Controls: 5-way, Volume (treble bleed and PP coil split HB), Tone (PP high-pass)

If you had the funds to get a top luthier to build you your dream guitar (or just a guitar you think would be cool), what would it be? I don't mean something that already exists on the shelves (or in the past), something new. Could be based on a classic design, I suppose.

·
Registered
5,689 Posts
I feel I have my dream guitar. Just a really good Telecaster. But if I had the money I'd sure love to have a Nik Huber Krauster 2.
For Acoustic as well I have my dream guitar, my D-28 Authentic 1941.
But since you're asking for a dream guitar I'd love to have a Prewar Co. 28 style with Brazilian back and sides, distress level 1. I wouldn't sell anything I have in order to get it though which is why it will most likely remain a dream guitar.

·
Premium Member
9,695 Posts
If you had the funds to get a top luthier to build you your dream guitar (or just a guitar you think would be cool), what would it be? I don't mean something that already exists on the shelves (or in the past), something new. Could be based on a classic design, I suppose.
Part B to this topic should be :what would you be willing to pay for this guitar?
TBH, id find that more interesting than the main topic.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
I feel I have my dream guitar. Just a really good Telecaster.
I'm happy with Teles, but I wanted a few changes:

* locking tuners
* wider nut, like 1 3/4"
* flatter radius, like 12"
* ebony fretboard
* no fretboard inlay
* SS frets
* Not your average Tele colour (no butterscotch blond or burst)

I was contemplating Warmoth or USACG, then I saw G&L lets you custom order all the above. I have my dream guitar.

·
Registered
5,689 Posts
I'm happy with Teles, but I wanted a few changes:

* locking tuners
* wider nut, like 1 3/4"
* flatter radius, like 12"
* ebony fretboard
* no fretboard inlay
* SS frets
* Not your average Tele colour (no butterscotch blond or burst)

I was contemplating Warmoth or USACG, then I saw G&L lets you custom order all the above. I have my dream guitar.
Out of your list I most desire SS frets. I had it done on my 52 Tele. One of these days I'm going to have SS frets put on my Masterbuilt Nocaster.

·
Registered
12,259 Posts
i want a carved top, double cut-away neck thru, weight relieved, with evh frankenstein bridge pick up, gibson 57 classic neck pick up, a 60's slim tapered neck with a compound radius board, 24 s.s. frets, stop tail roller bridge, roller nut, locking tuners, 4 knob/3-way controls and a piezo, and stereo wired. it would be a mahogany body & neck, with a quilted maple cap, some kind of black on the perimeter fading into a deep red that fades into a slightly redded natural in the center. no binding. black ebony board with small abalone pot leaf inlays, black headstock, black plastic, black hardware, no pickguard. i don't have any idea what a guitar like that should cost, but it's not so unusual that it should be all that expensive.

·
Registered
24,342 Posts
So I guess you haven't really ever given much thought, eh? ;)

I honestly don't know that I would have any "dream guitar", in the sense of one instrument that would capture all my moods, playing styles, tonal desires, etc. I can certainly think of things I'd like to have, but there is no particular design, construction material, or category that would lead me to think I'd reached the top of my own particular guitar mountain. Doesn't mean others can't legitimately imagine something to fit that bill. Not my particular daydream, though.

You didn't happen to eat your lunch over at KJP hardwoods, did you, Jon?

Carry on.

·
Occasional CEO
JB Custom
1,818 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So I guess you haven't really ever given much thought, eh? ;)

I honestly don't know that I would have any "dream guitar", in the sense of one instrument that would capture all my moods, playing styles, tonal desires, etc. I can certainly think of things I'd like to have, but there is no particular design, construction material, or category that would lead me to think I'd reached the top of my own particular guitar mountain. Doesn't mean others can't legitimately imagine something to fit that bill. Not my particular daydream, though.
Lol. When my mind wanders I think of random shapes and wood combinations that appeal to me. Like you, no one guitar could do it all. Different tools inspire differently.

You didn't happen to eat your lunch over at KJP hardwoods, did you, Jon?
Hahaha. Easy to get lost in there for sure.

·
Registered
5,492 Posts
I just want a perfect Telecaster.

Locally sourced ash body, birdseye maple neck.

Butterscotch blonde nitro finish.

7.25" radius, stainless medium frets.

Chunky V profile that feels like it was moulded from my own left hand.

Broadcaster spec bridge pickup, blackguard pickup in the neck, twisted tele in the middle.

Forrest Lee or Parsons/White B/G bender.

Vintage style tuners. 60s style truss rod.

3 brass saddles in a vintage style bridge.

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
I would need two electrics, a tele and a hollow body and they would both have to have the Fishman TriplePlay system.

I would also need two acoustics, likely a Martin HD-28 and a 12 string, perhaps a Guild.

Reactions: jbealsmusic

·
Premium Member
4,126 Posts
Hummm, dream guitar!
It's hard since it seems to always change.

The more I look at Florian's instruments, the more I want one.
  • Wood is sourced localy;
  • Paint is eco friendly;
  • He even build is own metal parts;
  • Offset body design;
  • Rosted maple;
  • Bridge humbucker and neck P90;
  • Fixed bridge;
  • Master Volume, master tone;
  • 3 way toggle switch (sounds stupid but I hate blade style switch);

mgs3.jpg

1 - 12 of 12 Posts