The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

· Registered
351 Posts
I was wondering why so many severely overpriced Bad Monkeys (or “contact for price” Bad Monkeys) suddenly hit Kijiji.

Now I know.

· Premium Member
116 Posts
I just saw this pedal on Reverb listed for more than $1400 lol. I remember this pedal being one of the must for so many metal players. I kinda enjoy watching how the JHS show shakes pedal market every time it introduces pedals from the past. Didn’t even know Bad Monkey was discontinued. I’m almost certain Digitech will bring it back because it was one their best selling pedals at the time and it shouldn’t be a problem recreating the circuit.

· Registered
1,323 Posts
Digitech gear, as well as the Talker ( Talk Box) was $ 75.00 USD just 6 years ago, now as high as $ 700.00 USD and the Freqout Pedal ( Feedback Generator) that listed for $ 80.00 USD, now they sell for as high as $ 250.00 USD !!!!
WOW !!!! 😱

• Wow
Reactions: East Coast Pat

· Premium Member
116 Posts
Digitech gear, as well as the Talker ( Talk Box) was $ 75.00 USD just 6 years ago, now as high as $ 700.00 USD and the Freqout Pedal ( Feedback Generator) that listed for $ 80.00 USD, now they sell for as high as $ 250.00 USD !!!!
WOW !!!! 😱
That’s interesting. Freqout is not discontinued and that’s as much as buying brand new. Digitech/DOD has been picked up by Cortek recently and heard they have a list of pedals they are going to reissue. Hopefully I won’t see Bad Monkey listed for $1000+ again lol

· Registered
14 Posts
From Josh on Insta:
"No one kept you from trying it in 2004. Learn to listen with your ears and not trends, and you will be a much happier guitarist.

Next: People will list them for ridiculous prices, and it’s extremely easy to not to buy them at those prices. Just wait. They will return to normal, and people will move on to the next thing.

One more thing: people listing for $600 and people buying them for $600 are two very different things. Sit back, relax, and enjoy guitar with what you have. The point of the episode was to help you see that what you have is enough."

· Premium Member
124 Posts
I had one of these back when I was a teenager in the early 2000’s. I had just upgraded my little pawn shop solid state amp to a pro junior and the little music shop I bought it from sold me the bad monkey for like 40 bucks I want to say. I honestly loved it and played it for hours ! I went on to purchase the Grunge on my Birthday that year too.

what a time to be alive:ROFLMAO:

· Premium Member
380 Posts
The Bad Monkey was always a bit of a sleeper/cult effect. Going rate for a used one was $40 back in the day c2007. And it sounded great for that price. The Xotic AC crushes it in every way (fidelity/clarity, options [on the custom version], compression…), as an OD with similar range and controls. I can’t believe it is now the more affordable option now. 😂

I like Josh. He definitely knows a lot about effects and apparently has the world’s biggest collection. A bit douchey at times, but who wouldn’t be with ego strokes like this.

· Registered
1,670 Posts
Notice the similarity to the Bad Monkey video and the Metal Zone video?

I don't mean that they were shown to be different than the collective wisdom (sarcasm)

But the amount of "experts" coming out and saying......Of course! I could have told you that, why didn't you ask me?

· Registered
14 Posts
Apparently it's been "community" knowledge for some time. lol

To me it's all so hilarious and incredibly well played by JHS. The pedal itself is silly, the name, the enclosure, the brand and the whole vibe around it. It's literally the type of thing pedal cork sniffers stick their noses up at.

So to artificially create demand to illustrate a great point about using the gear you have or can actually afford is genius.

Oh and there's actually practicing your instrument as well... you might just find that your lack of "tone" is resolved by just putting in the work. lol

· Monster Replier
'97 Strat Plus, '22 LP Studio
7,249 Posts
Apparently it's been "community" knowledge for some time. lol

To me it's all so hilarious and incredibly well played by JHS. The pedal itself is silly, the name, the enclosure, the brand and the whole vibe around it. It's literally the type of thing pedal cork sniffers stick their noses up at.

So to artificially create demand to illustrate a great point about using the gear you have or can actually afford is genius.

Oh and there's actually practicing your instrument as well... you might just find that your lack of "tone" is resolved by just putting in the work. lol
That couldn't be more on point if you tried, so if you did try, well said!

1 - 20 of 83 Posts