The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone out there with a Gibson es335? or a similar style semi-hollow body.

I just ordered a Washburn oe30 (OS), and am wondering what kind of strings people are using on this style of guitar. First electric guitar and I am completely naieve about the string choice.

any comments are appreciated.

·
Premium Member
15,823 Posts
I have an ES345 with a Bigbsy Trem and use .009 - .042 on it. You could go heavier. It's all about the way you play it really. The make of the strings are up to you. I use GHS Guitar Boomers but that's wide open.

I personally find the lighter guage better with the trem, but that is my preference, I do not think there is a golden rule out there.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Whatever you are comfortable with will be fine, 9s or 10s usually.

I have an ES330, I use 9-42's, the same strings I use on all my electrics.

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
I prefer 11s on my Epi Riviera. Just a slightly beefier tone than 10s, but 10s are okay too. Bending not all that much harder with 11s. Currently I use D'Addarios.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I owned a Washburn OE-40-carefully inspect the finishing of the guitar before you buy. As well, check out the pickups-mine would hum and suffer from excessive feedback. I sold mine after six months. Good hollowbodies, I guess, are expensive.

·
Premium Member
5,417 Posts
I own an Ibanez Artstar AS-120 which is a 335 clone and I use 10-52 D'Addarios on it, just like the rest of my other electric guitars. As everyone has said, just depends on what you are comfortable with, both in terms of playability and tone.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Gibson Howard Roberts Fusion 3 (For sale if interested)

I use GHS Boomers 11-49 on it and most of my electrics. I've got big hands and am used to 13s on the acoustics so they feel light in comparison. This might be similar to you as you noted that you have no electric experience.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I use .11 - .52 on my Les Paul and .10 - .48 on my Strat.

My acoustic has .12 - .54.

Really, it comes down to the guitar; how easy it is to bend, manuoever, vibrato etc.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
It basically boils down to how strong your fingers are. The more you play the stronger they get and there is the physical thing about hand size. Whatever guage you can twist and it feels right then that is what to use. Also depends on how much bending you do and how far you like to go with them. The 335 is much like a les paul except it's got a pair of gull wings, try what you use on your paul and see how it feels..... :wave:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.