The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the last five years, I 'be noticed young people under 20, wearing 80's band T-shirts, here in California.
Bands like Ozzy, Rush, AC-DC, Thin Lizzy, Triumph, Motley Cruel and others.

I talked to a kid and asked if he actually liked the music and he started talking about his favorite songs from those bands ....

I don't think the 2000's Punk, Alternative or Nu Metal era of music ....isn't aging too well.

Reactions: laristotle

·
Premium Member
12,730 Posts
Dad still has/listens to his albums and kids are growing up with that.

·
Registered
13,084 Posts
I think a lot of these shirts are novelty items. kids aren't necessarily fans, they just like the shirt and they heard the song in a movie once. that and theyre available everywhere these days, used to be concert merch and ordering out of the back of a magazine and now we get them at Walmart and Marks Work Warehouse

·
Registered
6,381 Posts
My 11 year old grand daughter wears a Pink Floyd t-shirt and its one of her favorites even though she really doesn't know who Pink Floyd is.
Her only connection to Pink Floyd is when she was a new born. She lived with me for the first 3 years of her life. When her mother couldn't get her to settle and stop crying she would give her to me and I'd hold her infront of the computer and listen to the the album "Wish You Were Here". She'd be asleep before the full intro of "Shine on You Crazy Diamond" was over. Of course I'd sit there with her through the whole album. It was funny as soon as she heard those keys drone in her eyes would stop moving and it was like she was hypnotized.
But she wouldn't remember that. Or would she?

·
Premium Member
11,034 Posts
They sell them for like $10 at Giant Tiger.

sometimes it’s just a fashion statement....like if you see a 30 yr old former supermodel wearing a Dead Kennedys t-shirt...it’s just to look “rock n roll”.

·
Premium Member
2,151 Posts
Kids these days, pffft

Anyway, with streaming music I bet more of them have heard the entire ACDC or BlackSabbath catalogue than guys my age.

·
Premium Member
2,647 Posts
My daughter stole one of my AC/DC tshirts and she also likes their music, so good for her. She gets to be cool and also likes good music.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I’d respect the kids who dig a little deeper and find more obscure band shirts.... maybe not Metallica, but megadeth?

The music’s all there for kids to listen to, so I’m sure some are familiar.

·
Premium Member
1,694 Posts
Sorry - the great music ended the decade before. Show up in a Little Feat T-shirt - I'll be impressed.

·
Premium Member
526 Posts
Sometimes I wear an Edmonton Oilers hat or t-shirt. I know nothing about hockey. I just like the look.

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
Misfits is a popular Tee for any age group I find. It's the rebel coming out.

·
Premium Member
1,238 Posts
I got alot of compliments on my Led Zepplin and Pink Floyd shirts when I was working with the younger set in Alberta. One guy i worked with in his mid 20`s dropped by on a Sunday afternoon. He got introduced to a mixed set of Zepplin, The Allman Brothers, Floyd etc., at about 7 on the volume dial while we sat on my patio and shared coffee and cannabis.

I remember the first time I heard Robert Johnson. It was a "WTF am i listening to?" moment. He had the same look on his face when "Heartbreaker" came through the speakers. Lots of questions at that point, and gave me the opportunity to talk about the bands i saw in Detroit in the 80`s. I bet his ipod play list grew after that day, but who knows.

No Justin Bieber shirts for me...

·
Premium Member
708 Posts
My 11 year old grand daughter wears a Pink Floyd t-shirt and its one of her favorites even though she really doesn't know who Pink Floyd is.
Her only connection to Pink Floyd is when she was a new born. She lived with me for the first 3 years of her life. When her mother couldn't get her to settle and stop crying she would give her to me and I'd hold her infront of the computer and listen to the the album "Wish You Were Here". She'd be asleep before the full intro of "Shine on You Crazy Diamond" was over. Of course I'd sit there with her through the whole album. It was funny as soon as she heard those keys drone in her eyes would stop moving and it was like she was hypnotized.
But she wouldn't remember that. Or would she?
That's funny. I fall asleep when those songs come on too. Or I change the station

1 - 20 of 27 Posts