The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
a thing of the past

Thats too bad.......yeah Much is not......well, much anymore is it?

·
Registered
249 Posts
Erica Ehm. Mmmmmmmmm.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
The Bass player and Drummer are smokin'. The guitar player didn't give them enough space though, I would have to say that he is over playing.

I used to do the Erica Ehm and Dan Galliger Road shows whay back in the ?? Late 80's earlly '90's ?? she was allways smokin'.

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
Hamm Guitars said:
The Bass player and Drummer are smokin'. The guitar player didn't give them enough space though, I would have to say that he is over playing.

...guitar players is such showoffs!

:banana:

-dh

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hamm Guitars said:

I used to do the Erica Ehm and Dan Galliger Road shows whay back in the ?? Late 80's earlly '90's ?? she was allways smokin'.
Dude! It's Robben Friggin Ford man! :bow: :bow: :smile:

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Great clip! Robben Ford is one of my favourite players. Also it was nice to see Erica Ehm. God, she was smokin' hot!:banana:

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
I listened to it again.

I keep hearing the same thing. Obviously just my opinion, but I like some space. I've always been of the school that what you don't play is just as important as what you do play.

The bass player and the drummer are pretty tight, and I find my self trying to block out the guitar so I can zero in on them. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying I don't like the guitar player - I just think that there were alot of oportunities that he could have layed back a bit and let the rhythm section drive for a while. Again, my opinion, but I think the whole thing would have sounded more tastefull and the guitar playing would have had more impact.

I realize that they were booking as Robben Ford and the Blue Line, but the drummer and bass player are just as good as He is.

I can't play anywhere near as well as He does, but I've seen alot of players who have had more impact with less talent by playing less.

Now this was '93, I am not that familiar with the man's work myself, but I bet his later work has more breathing room. Is this assumtion correct, or is this like his signature style?

Fell free to slap me if I'm wrong, I'm wrong alot and I find my writing style comes off as a little condensending (much more so that I actually am in person), but I'm trying hard to correct this.

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
Just remember that the "good ol' days" were not actually all the good. Playing stuff like this was still very rare back then and we shouldn't hold this up as an example of how awesome MM used to be . . .

I've never really been able to dig this guy. Awesome chops but I find the music SO generic; I've heard this "guitar thing" a billion times before and it just seems completely tired to me. Not flaming anyone nor saying you're crazy for liking it. It just doesn't do anything for me.

TG

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
traynor_garnet said:
Just remember that the "good ol' days" were not actually all the good. Playing stuff like this was still very rare back then and we shouldn't hold this up as an example of how awesome MM used to be . . .

I've never really been able to dig this guy. Awesome chops but I find the music SO generic; I've heard this "guitar thing" a billion times before and it just seems completely tired to me. Not flaming anyone nor saying you're crazy for liking it. It just doesn't do anything for me.

TG
Hey TG, I completely disagree with you, BUT I am really happy that you would post that. This is what make's this forum so great. Cheers, Mario. BTW, I still think Erica was hot!

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
mario said:
Hey TG, I completely disagree with you, BUT I am really happy that you would post that. This is what make's this forum so great. Cheers, Mario. BTW, I still think Erica was hot!
Yep, to each their own. Nothing is more redundant than people arguing about "who rulz" (especially when we all know it's Neil Young None )

TG

·
Registered
635 Posts
I'll have to stand up for Traynor Garnet here. That stuff just sounds like generic background music for shows on the Discovery Channel. I have no idea how people can get off on listening to it, but then again, I have no idea how people like Nickleback either. Or Inuit throat singing. Haha. :tongue:

I definitely agree with the "you'll never see stuff like this on Much again" though. It's a shame how bland and teeny-bopper that channel has become. I know people that work there and they all agree. The channel is just out for numbers and money now, so they go for the broadest base they can attract. They days of hearing a wide variety of music on channels like Much and MTV are over. Everyone has a video now- it's mandatory, but when they started they were scrambling for content, which is why you'd see such contrasting music on there.

And the personalities are gone. Instead of the Dan Gallaghers, Kim Clark Champnisses, Simon Evanses and Erica Ehms, there's a parade of generic, good looking early twentysomethings that know jack shit about music other than what they read from the teleprompter. As much as I found Steve Anthony an annoying idiot back when he was on, the dude looks like a genius compared to that Devon kid. I think that Rick Campanelli was the last of the VJs that gave a crap.

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
nine said:
I'll have to stand up for Traynor Garnet here. That stuff just sounds like generic background music for shows on the Discovery Channel. I have no idea how people can get off on listening to it, but then again, I have no idea how people like Nickleback either. Or Inuit throat singing. Haha. :tongue:

I definitely agree with the "you'll never see stuff like this on Much again" though. It's a shame how bland and teeny-bopper that channel has become. I know people that work there and they all agree. The channel is just out for numbers and money now, so they go for the broadest base they can attract. They days of hearing a wide variety of music on channels like Much and MTV are over. Everyone has a video now- it's mandatory, but when they started they were scrambling for content, which is why you'd see such contrasting music on there.

And the personalities are gone. Instead of the Dan Gallaghers, Kim Clark Champnisses, Simon Evanses and Erica Ehms, there's a parade of generic, good looking early twentysomethings that know jack shit about music other than what they read from the teleprompter. As much as I found Steve Anthony an annoying idiot back when he was on, the dude looks like a genius compared to that Devon kid. I think that Rick Campanelli was the last of the VJs that gave a crap.
If you are going to mention Rick then you also have to say George snufalufagus or what ever the heck is last name is.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Yeah, George was great, but he wasn't really much of a host by the end. Just did the news or whatever. You can tell that he really cares about music though. Smart dude.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I love Robben Ford..Good clip. He is an amazing player!

1 - 20 of 47 Posts