The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
24,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Watching Seinfeld last night on Peachtree, which comes from Atlanta, and in the middle of Seinfeld, around 10:20PM, on comes an ad for a Smith & Wesson handgun. I believe it was a WP2.0 model. At first I thought it might be some sort of satirical ad that would switch to something else. But no, it was a legitimate ad that went over all the fine features of this particular model; the grip, the trigger mechanism, the weight, etc..

This was not an ad for long-guns directed at hunters, or anything like that. It was an ad for a handgun; something intended to shoot people and not game. What the...? And just who the heck do they think watches Seinfeld?

·
Premium Member
16,821 Posts
Heard an ad on radio for a tactical shop while in PA last weekend. It was an odd experience.

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
The wife and I are mild "preppers", so we watch all the survival stuff on Netflix for ideas and info.

It's unsettling how much depency the American survivalists place on weapons. Not just a hunting rifle -- paramilitary bullshit all the way!

How's this for a survival strategy? MOVE SOMEWHERE SAFER!

Our "prepping" consists of having enough to feed ourselves until our peaceful agricultural community can re-organize itself back into the 1800's. Should take a few months. After that it's a stash of trade goods: medicine, spices, etc.

Marauders? Can't even imagine it on the prairies, either side of the border. Life would probably get better. LOL.

Dustbowl? With the increase of trees and reservoirs average rainfall is up 20%

Energy? Paved highway and railroad to coal field 80 km away. Get out the horse and ox.

·
Premium Member
9,736 Posts
ive been to Hotlanta.
that ad makes perfect sense.

·
Registered
24,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As a sponsor for "COPS", "America's Most Wanted", or "Dog: Bounty Hunter:, probably. But for Seinfeld? That's not going to be good for business. That's not going to be good for anyone.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
As a sponsor for "COPS", "America's Most Wanted", or "Dog: Bounty Hunter:, probably. But for Seinfeld? That's not going to be good for business. That's not going to be good for anyone.

A gun sponsor for COPS, not really a good idea with all the violence and guns already on the show. Now DOG could use some good sponsors and he'd probably agree with gun sponsors.

:)

·
Premium Member
9,736 Posts
it might have just been a one-off...the advertiser bought up x amount of ad space and it had to be used up before a specific date so they threw it in there. I watch peachtree sometimes and have never see that commercial.
broadcasters make mistakes like that all the time. for instance, they also are usually instructed to avoid airing commercials for competing businesses during the same break ie a Wendys commercial followed by a McDonalds commercial, for example, as it lessens the branding impact. but it happens. or, when they air commercials that have a time sensitive component eg "...come to our big sale on Sunday April 16" that continues to air past this date.
shit happens.

·
Registered
24,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's a fair assessment. Things often happen for reasons you don't suspect, and for reasons that do not reflect the intent one might first suspect.
We'll see if it crops up again.

·
Registered
12,263 Posts
it's in the south, where 99.9% of the population grew up around guns, and don't see them as the evil tool canadians do. there is nothing unusual about it. as for what type of person totes a gun and watches seinfeld?
even good ol' boys like to laugh. although pussy-fied liberals like to promote themselves as smarter than everyone else, the truth is, lots of gun toting red necks are smart enough to get seinfeld, and lots of them are even smart enough to do math and science.

·
Premium Member
11,859 Posts
I remember how strange I thought it was when drug companies started marketing their products directly on public television, straight to the hypochondriacs and bypassing the doctors and medical community (their previous marketing model). Weird, I thought, but apparently it's caught on quite well. Well, I guess only for that '5% of us' that are influenced by marketing. LOL

I suppose we'll just get used to this, too. Once it hits our airwaves and copper/glass connections.

·
Registered
24,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
it's in the south, where 99.9% of the population grew up around guns, and don't see them as the evil tool canadians do. there is nothing unusual about it. as for what type of person totes a gun and watches seinfeld?
even good ol' boys like to laugh. although pussy-fied liberals like to promote themselves as smarter than everyone else, the truth is, lots of gun toting red necks are smart enough to get seinfeld, and lots of them are even smart enough to do math and science.
It's not a question of being "smart enough". It's the particular style of humour that tends to appeal to urban types. Sticking Smith & Wesson ads in the middle of a Seinfeld episode makes as much sense to me as sticking Poise adult undergarment ads in the middle of Sons of Anarchy. Sure, there are always lots of people who enjoy a particular type of show that you wouldn't associate with that sort of show, but the basic premise of advertising is that you stick your ads where you expect the majority of viewers to be interested in your product. Otherwise, why spend the money on TV ads.

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
I grew up in rural NB where just about every family had someone that hunted including me and thus owned guns and had a rifle/shotgun in their home.

Handguns scare me!

Reactions: KapnKrunch

·
Registered
6,039 Posts
Not taking a shot at anyone but I would find the S&W ad more innaresting than a Seinfeld show. Guns were around our house all the time when I was a child. I was taught to use a rifle when I was 8 or 9 and a .38 revolver when I was maybe 12 or so. No one thought anything about it back then. There was a gun club in high school - imagine that now...lol And when I was in grade six the teacher brought in an antique flint lock and wheel lock for the glass to look at and then he fired them off in the playing field out back during recess. All in all, a pretty good place to grow up...lol

P

·
0 Posts
Maybe the gun maker knows what people who are watching reruns of Seinfeld really want to do...

·
Premium Member
13,025 Posts
It's America. What did you expect?

Reactions: Scotty

·
Premium Member
9,736 Posts
I don't think of Seinfeld as "smart humour"...no more so than a Tim Allen show. at least not any more...the humour, the references, the Kramer spaz character, have all become very dated. that show was carried by JLD and Jason alexander.
But like mhammer suggests, it doesn't seem like something a gun-toting southerner would enjoy, what with all them...ahem... "queers and joos!"

Wasn't there a story a while back about a US bank that would give guns to new customers as a promo? that seemed odd ass well.

·
Registered
12,263 Posts
But like mhammer suggests, it doesn't seem like something a gun-toting southerner would enjoy, what with all them...ahem... "queers and joos!"
this attitude is one of the few things i won't miss when i leave canada. it is one shared by many here, and it bugs the shit out of me. it is the entire reason for my previous post.
the stereotype is way outdated. i mean, canadians like to talk about being so accomodating, and "ooh look at me with all these foreign cultures i bring in."
but there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of sincerity behind it when your neighbor to the south, who always has your back, is thought/spoken of this way. you guys will go out of your way to show everyone how nice you all are to the ones who wear funny hats or eat strange things. then disrespect the one who's always been in your corner, been your buddy, by not making any effort at all to understand them. instead they are written off as stupid and backwards.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts