The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

You think they did it?

915 views 19 replies 9 participants last post by  NorlinNorm 
#1 ·
After a few days of testing and measuring the people from Cytomic created a preset for their Tube Screamer plugin "The Scream" that sounds to me like an exact replica of my own TS9 so a bit for fun and a bit to show them my appreciation for such a generous detail I made a simple video comparison. Of course my opinion is too much biased so I would like to ask for your opinion: would you say they did get close? Thx

#6 · (Edited)
I can't tell the difference but again I'm biased and I know the answers of the blind comparison at the end so my opinion doesn't count. Another cause for any difference could be an unintentional favour over one or another on the playing. I will eventually record a new video using a looper or a pre recorded track as a sound source with matched input gain (this one was by ear). Thanks for your comments!

I forgot to mention, there is a blind comparison at the very end of the video

#14 ·
Now that I can finally listen to it, it sounds pretty close. In fact, if one took any two Tube Screamers, the component tolerances would likely make them sound a little different, so I'm not bothered by whatever minimal differences I can hear between the analog and plug-in versions here.

Of course, what is missing is the opportunity to hear the plug-in pushing an amp, which is where the TS traditionally shines.

#15 ·
Of course, what is missing is the opportunity to hear the plug-in pushing an amp, which is where the TS traditionally shines.
I can do that (with amp simulators of course). I will also make a comparison with all the other TS plugins I have. These videos are difficult to make but they are fun and useful which count most.

They were ready to measure the components of my Tubescreamer but it is not a good idea to ship a pedals to Australia and back. Still I had to process a lot of white noise and sine/saw/etc tracks through it so they had enough data to make the model.

#17 · (Edited)
Yes, but is was my TS what they made me measure for this preset. When the MOD switch is off the pedal is a regular TS but when the mod is on you can change the values of the components and that's what they did to match my pedal in specific. The plugin (this preset specifically) should sound pretty close to mine (which sounds very different from the newest ts)

#18 ·
It sounds fine.
Enjoy.
Nobody in the bar watching and listening is going to notice any difference.
Probably not even any musicians who might be present because the differences between their hands and yours would be greater than between your sim and your pedal.
With the rest of your band playing with you any fine nuances of tone that might be missing won't be noticed at all.
Just go out and play.
Most guitarists spend too much time obsessing over the tiniest minutia of their sound when in fact they're the only ones who notice.
You are far closer than just being "in the ballpark".

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.