The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
9,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...what really effing hurts? Getting a big ass splinter underneath your fingernail and being unable to get it out because it is in too deep. Ask me how I know................

·
Registered
24,689 Posts
Sympathies.

Sometimes the regret over what actions yielded such splinters (or any other sort of strum-impeding injury) can be almost as painful. Currently dealing with cuts to three fingers on my fret-hand. Not terrible, but annoying enough to know that a splinter would be worse.

·
Premium Member
3,177 Posts
...what really effing hurts? Getting a big ass splinter underneath your fingernail and being unable to get it out because it is in too deep. Ask me how I know................
If you can't live with it, how about a doctor or emerge visit where they can freeze it and take it out.

·
Premium Member
11,075 Posts
Yeah, hurts like the blazes, don't it! Ran a splinter from an oak handrail under one of mine once, yanked my hand back and lost a little flesh in the process. Funny how every cuss word comes to mind at such times.

Get it seen to. Nails are a bitch when they fail.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
Straighten out a metal paperclip. Heat the clip with a torch until it is cherry red. Apply cherry red wire to the nail with pressure above the splinter. Wire will burn through the nail, allowing you to access the splinter. Remove splinter. Drive to hospital burn unit.
Are you crazy if you were going to drive to a hospital you better let them get it out . Dah !

·
Premium Member
3,177 Posts
Epson salts may help if it's infected but splinters that are deep under your nail, or have already become infected, may need to be removed by a doctor.
You can tell a splinter is infected if it continues to be painful after a few days and the area around the splinter is swollen or red in color.
  • If the splinter is causing serious and excessive bleeding, go to your local emergency room to have it removed.
  • If the splinter is embedded under your nail such that you are unable to reach it on your own, or if the skin around the splinter is infected, make an appointment to see your family doctor. The doctor can remove the splinter and give you antibiotics.
  • In most cases, the doctor removing your splinter should be able to give you a local anaesthetic to numb the area and reduce the pain of removal.
  • Be aware that a doctor may have to remove some or all of your nail in order to remove the splinter completely.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts