The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I took the Humming bird back,paid my restocking fee yadda yadda yadda. I started looking for a new guitar. I came across another dealer with a similar Bird on sale. I called them up . Wouldn't you know it the pick guard was coming off this one too. The lady said she would check at some of their other stores for me for one that was ready to go. She phoned three other stores and said only one had a pick guard intact. I called them up told them how a previous dealer had sold me a bird with a bum pick guard and how I had to pay a restocking fee on damaged goods. I explained how this was a gift and that I was obliged as a man and husband to replace this symbol of love from my wife. Come hell or high water I was gonna have that new guitar for Christmas. I was in a bind . I just couldn't turn down a gift like this from my wife but I couldn't accept a substandard guitar from Gibson.either. I was now a little gun shy about Gibsons. I asked the sales person if they could send pics of the bird on sale and pics of a HD-28 as well. They did send a few shots of the Martin but before I could decide the store closed . It was Saturday and they would not be open again until Monday. Monday morning came I picked up the phone, I called and made the deal. I bought the Martin. They shipped it I waited the two days. When it arrived it was in worse shape than the Gibson I sent back. The top was all rippled as if the wood grain was coming through I was so worried I contacted Martin customer service. I sent them a picture . The CS rep said it was a case of grossly over or under humidification and that it obviously happened at the store. The store , Martin and region manager are going to decide what they can do for me. As it stands they have offered me an exchange. I hope I don't have to pay some kinda fee on this one.

P.S.
Many thanks to all those who have been so supportive in what is obviously an unbelievably hard experience.
Thanks kenute

·
Registered
18,597 Posts
From what I have seen and read, Martin stands behind their product very well. (So does Taylor). I think they will treat you as a goo customer. If they know about the Gibson, they will even do more to make it right for you.

·
Registered
7,501 Posts
I was gonna suggest a Martin D-18 as thats closer to a hummingbird than an HD-28. However I don't know why you are having all these issues with quality. I have heard that Gibson can be real hit and miss and other than an R7 I bought last year I don't have much experience with Gibson. When it comes to Gibson acoustics I just don't like them tonewise.
However I've got a lot of experience with Martins. I've played literally hundreds and have owned 8 in the past 20 years. I've never had an issue with quality. I think now Martin has a good track record for quality.
Out of the 8 Martin guitars I owned I had one issue. On a D-28 I bought brand new, the finish started peeling off after a month. Long and Mcquade sent it back to the factory for me to be refinished. Long and Mcquade also gave me a used HD-35 off the floor to take home to use for as long as my guitar took to come back, which ended up being 6 months.
So Martin did take care of me but more importantly so did the retailer. And thats important. Sounds like in your area the retailers aren't very supportive.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
From what I have seen and read, Martin stands behind their product very well. (So does Taylor). I think they will treat you as a goo customer. If they know about the Gibson, they will even do more to make it right for you.
Hello Steadfastly I feel quite confident as far as Martin is concerned. They responded right away . Gibson on the other hand leaves me doubtful about their service. Before I tried to buy the second hummingbird I phoned Gibson customer service. I told them how I had found several guitars with pick guards coming off and asked if their was some kind of systemic problem with their pick guards. They said they were not aware of any problem. So what am I some kind of unlucky schlep who somehow is able to find the only faulty pick guards Gibson ever made? The CS rep was however quick to point out that Gibson does not cover warranty issues for Canadians. So I bought the Martin instead.
Best regards Kenute

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was gonna suggest a Martin D-18 as thats closer to a hummingbird than an HD-28. However I don't know why you are having all these issues with quality. I have heard that Gibson can be real hit and miss and other than an R7 I bought last year I don't have much experience with Gibson. When it comes to Gibson acoustics I just don't like them tonewise.
However I've got a lot of experience with Martins. I've played literally hundreds and have owned 8 in the past 20 years. I've never had an issue with quality. I think now Martin has a good track record for quality.
Out of the 8 Martin guitars I owned I had one issue. On a D-28 I bought brand new, the finish started peeling off after a month. Long and Mcquade sent it back to the factory for me to be refinished. Long and Mcquade also gave me a used HD-35 off the floor to take home to use for as long as my guitar took to come back, which ended up being 6 months.
So Martin did take care of me but more importantly so did the retailer. And thats important. Sounds like in your area the retailers aren't very supportive.
Hello guitarman2. I think your right about the D-18. It is closer to the Hummingbird. For some reason I liked the HD-28 better.
We only have one dealer in our town that carries Martin ,Taylor , Fender and Gibson. In fact that's where I went to try out the Martins. I figure that since they got my restocking fee I am kinda entitled to go right in and pick up a new model and strum away. So that's what I did . I tried it locally but bought it out of town. And yes they are not supportive after purchasing an instrument but they'll do just fine for trying stuff out. As far as the folks that sold me the Martin go, we'll just have to wait and see. They were quite apologetic and seemed quite sincere . I just can't believe all this happening to me.
Best regards Kenute

·
Registered
630 Posts
shit man what luck, the last couple years have been brutal with some makers qc, maybe smaller dealers like folkway would tell the truth when selling a git, I really hope your frustration is short lived and you get to guitar glee soon jim

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks jimmy c g I honestly think that Martin's qc is not in question here. Gibson on the other hand...well that's a different story. And to think I wasn't even in the market for a new guitar when this all started. I'm also sure their are good reputable dealers out there like Folkway .

Regards kenute

·
Registered
7,501 Posts
shit man what luck, the last couple years have been brutal with some makers qc, maybe smaller dealers like folkway would tell the truth when selling a git,
When it comes to Folkway I would buy a guitar there sight unseen. When I go there every guitar I pick up has great fit and finish and sounds amazing. They set up every guitar beautifully and they change the strings often. If you know what it is your after then ordering online from Folkway is about as risk free as it gets.

·
Registered
355 Posts
When it comes to Folkway I would buy a guitar there sight unseen. When I go there every guitar I pick up has great fit and finish and sounds amazing. They set up every guitar beautifully and they change the strings often. If you know what it is your after then ordering online from Folkway is about as risk free as it gets.
+1 for Folkways.
I would be very hesitant to buy an acoustic from a store that is predominantly electric. Lots of great small-store luthiers around too.

·
Registered
7,501 Posts
Hello guitarman2. I think your right about the D-18. It is closer to the Hummingbird. For some reason I liked the HD-28 better.
We only have one dealer in our town that carries Martin ,Taylor , Fender and Gibson. In fact that's where I went to try out the Martins. I figure that since they got my restocking fee I am kinda entitled to go right in and pick up a new model and strum away. So that's what I did . I tried it locally but bought it out of town. And yes they are not supportive after purchasing an instrument but they'll do just fine for trying stuff out. As far as the folks that sold me the Martin go, we'll just have to wait and see. They were quite apologetic and seemed quite sincere . I just can't believe all this happening to me.
Best regards Kenute
If there is a new D-35 you can try give that a go. If you like the sound of the D-35 there is one at Folkway right now that has some the nicest EIR grain I've ever seen. It rings and resonates better than any D-35 I've ever tried. If I had the $3,600 I would have bought it.

·
Registered
7,501 Posts
d 35s are so sweet, love the 3 piece back , lifetime warranty for neck sets etc is awesome as well, Shit,now I want one !... excuse my gas, it comes on unexpectedly ...j
Unfortunately the era of unconditional neck resets on warranty is reported to be at an end. Reports of many warrant claims for neck resets being refused unless its actually separating from the body. There is an in depth conversation about this at the UMGF. The likelihood that your claim will be accepted is better if needed before the 5 year mark than it is after the 10 - 15 year mark. Martin claims that there warranty was always based on these parameters. At one time they were less discriminating so it was likely your claim would be approved. Now they are clamping down it seems.

·
Registered
630 Posts
what the fret ? I never thought a martin would need a reset in 5 or less years, they didnt use to, also very sad too hear the warranty is crumbling as it was one of the best secondary reasons to buy martin, as a canadian with a j45 Im used to the company not properly warrantying, no offense to l and m they try but...

·
Premium Member
5,705 Posts
I know this is the acoustic forum, but i'm a little disappointed with a used Gibson lp jr. I just bought and although it is in mint shape, it looks like they didn't even sand the slab. From a few feet away it looks great, but hold it up close you can see ripples. I have no idea how much a brand new Junior costs, but the paint on my Epiphone black beauty puts the Gibson to shame. If I ever GAS for another LP it will be a Burny from Japan.

·
Registered
7,501 Posts
what the fret ? I never thought a martin would need a reset in 5 or less years, they didnt use to, also very sad too hear the warranty is crumbling as it was one of the best secondary reasons to buy martin, as a canadian with a j45 Im used to the company not properly warrantying, no offense to l and m they try but...
It is unusual for a Martin to need a neck reset but not unheard of. I guess thats why its more likely your warranty claim wouldn't be rejected. Where as the 15 year mark and on its considered a symptom of time and just something that needs to be done on this type of neck joint.
There were a lot of owners of Authentics needing a neck reset as soon as they got the guitar or within one month to one year after getting the guitar. Mine look very good and I don't see a potential problem. The guitars that come from the factory already needing a neck reset is evident they just weren't very careful when setting the angle during the build.
Many people over at UMGF are stating that with the neck reset not being a guarantee its more motivation to not buy new. I agree with them.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
One guitar is bad luck. Multiple guitars from multiple dealers and manufactures suggests a systemic problem. Sounds like crap guitars are getting dumped north of the border where there is little to no recourse.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
One guitar is bad luck. Multiple guitars from multiple dealers and manufactures suggests a systemic problem. Sounds like crap guitars are getting dumped north of the border where there is little to no recourse.
I gotta think the Sane way BSTheTech and I'm gonna find out. The dealer has agreed to ship a new outta the box HD-28 . Is it a new 2016? Is it something someone from the states has sent back , refurbished by Martin and then sent to Canada? I may be jaded from my particular experience, but we have tried to buy two high end guitars from two separate Canadian dealers and both times we were sold crap. I think that when you buy high end in Canada you are just buying U.S. seconds. Go ahead Martin prove me wrong. Up yours Gibson , treat Canadian consumers with the same respect as Americans. This second rate Canadian warranty is horse ----! . Shove your Bozeman crap right up your Kalamazoo .
Regards Kenute

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
I gotta think the Sane way BSTheTech and I'm gonna find out. The dealer has agreed to ship a new outta the box HD-28 . Is it a new 2016? Is it something someone from the states has sent back , refurbished by Martin and then sent to Canada? I may be jaded from my particular experience, but we have tried to buy two high end guitars from two separate Canadian dealers and both times we were sold crap. I think that when you buy high end in Canada you are just buying U.S. seconds. Go ahead Martin prove me wrong. Up yours Gibson , treat Canadian consumers with the same respect as Americans. This second rate Canadian warranty is horse ----! . Shove your Bozeman crap right up your Kalamazoo .
Regards Kenute
I find it hard to believe we're buying U.S. seconds here in Canada, but I do think some stores put seconds and refurbished models on the shelf as No. 1 new stock. I'm almost certain my local Gibson dealer does this, the difference between his stock and what I find in other stores is big.

As for the second rate Canadian warranty you're blaming the wrong company. From what I understand Gibson sells their lifetime warranty guitars to Yorkville distributing on a sort of as is/where is basis. Yorkville then turns around and offers those same Gibson guitars with a 1 year warranty at a price higher than what they go for with a full warranty in the states. So if it's up yours to anyone it should be to Yorkville and I doubt they'll be showing us any respect anytime soon according to the price hikes I see.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Howdy Morkolo ! How incredibly convenient for Gibson. Sell the guitars to the Canadian distributor who in fact are the original purchaser and so have the warranty . When they the distributor resell the guitars the original warranty is void absolving Gibson of any responsibility Why yorkville and Gibson have this arrangement is not known. But it creates an opportunity for a conflict. As far as yorkville is concerned I agree . I have tried several times to call them and no one ever returned my call. So ok, up yours too Yorkville.
Regards kenute

1 - 20 of 67 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.