The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
what if I learned to both at the same time? then im not a guitar player that plays bass, or a bass player that plays guitar:DevilGuitar:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Jeff Flowerday said:
There just aren't enough of you.

Plus you also need to stop precreating with guitar players, because a guitar player that plays bass just isn't the same. :) :) :)

:confused-smiley-010

Hmmm, lets see, I started on piano, moved on to guitar, and now I play bass in my band...

May I procreate?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Funny enough I just happen to be a little over 6 months pregnant.
Brace yourself though, the Daddy is a guitar player. My first daughter is totally confused, she plays her acoustic 6 string like an uprightbass.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Well I guess I'm a guitar player that plays bass now. I just went and bought a cheap bass to play around with. :rockon:

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Jeff Flowerday said:
No, go ahead that direction is allowed, it can only make you a better guitarist. The other direction just makes for a crappy bassists. IMO. :) :)
I was going to say something smartass, but Jeff summed it up pretty well in a politically correct fashion!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Plus you also need to stop precreating with guitar players, because a guitar player that plays bass just isn't the same. :) :) :)
No, go ahead that direction is allowed, it can only make you a better guitarist. The other direction just makes for a crappy bassists. IMO. :) :)
Man, what's with all the trashing of guitarists who play bass? Saying that a guitarist can't be a good bass player is a load of bollocks. Maybe some of you are forgetting that some of the best bassists ever were guitarists first. I just happen to be a guitarist first, but I think of myself as a much more acomplished bassists. So unless you guys only know shitty musicians who can't play their bass, maybe you should stop with the generalizations.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I could play either in a band and be happy

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
RadioDaze said:
I think of myself as a much more acomplished bassists.
Well I don't know man, I could think of myself as an accomplished guitarist but that sure in the heck doesn't actually make me one. That said, I don't know you so I'll have to take your word for it.

Even if 1 in 10 guitarists are good bass players, it's still low enough of a number for me to make a generalization, don't you think? There's always the odd exception.

The scene in Calgary lacks bass players bad so there are way too many guitar players playing bass to make money.

:food-smiley-004:

·
Registered
885 Posts
Jeff Flowerday said:
Even if 1 in 10 guitarists are good bass players, it's still low enough of a number for me to make a generalization, don't you think?

The scene in Calgary lacks bass players bad so there are way too many guitar players playing bass to make money.

:food-smiley-004:
Guess I'll throw my 2 cents in :) Making a generalized statement like that is moot, but I can appreciate where you're coming from. Any guitar player who thinks they can just pick up a bass and play it well from the get go is fooling themselves. The bass in my opinion is a completely different instrument, and requires unique musical skills to play it well. The guitarist looks at the bass and sees a neck, strings, and frets, and says to themselves, sure...this should be easy (or easier) to play.

But this can be said for other instruments too. I have a friend who is a terrific blues piano player. He recently just purchased a Hammond organ. There's commonality in the two instruments in that it has the same set of black and white keys that when pressed, play the same notes. He quickly found out, that playing the organ requires a completely different set of skills. Suffice it to say, he's not a good organ player at the moment.

That being said, the guitarist can be a good bass player with study and practice, just like everything else. There are no shortcuts.

Lawrie

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Fajah said:
Guess I'll throw my 2 cents in :) Making a generalized statement like that is moot, but I can appreciate where you're coming from. Any guitar player who thinks they can just pick up a bass and play it well from the get go is fooling themselves. The bass in my opinion is a completely different instrument, and requires unique musical skills to play it well. The guitarist looks at the bass and sees a neck, strings, and frets, and says to themselves, sure...this should be easy (or easier) to play.

But this can be said for other instruments too. I have a friend who is a terrific blues piano player. He recently just purchased a Hammond organ. There's commonality in the two instruments in that it has the same set of black and white keys that when pressed, play the same notes. He quickly found out, that playing the organ requires a completely different set of skills. Suffice it to say, he's not a good organ player at the moment.

That being said, the guitarist can be a good bass player with study and practice, just like everything else. There are no shortcuts.

Lawrie
I agree with you. As long as they approach as a different instrument, there's a groove and feel that proper bass players have. Playing it like a guitar doesn't work. .02

·
Registered
14 Posts
We procreated....

Hubby's the bass player. I'm a singer and we ended up with:

one male keyboard player/programme writer,
one female singer/songwriter/website designer
one female singer/songwriter/fashion designer
one male keyboard player/drummer/singer

how'd we do dat?!!
:rockon:

·
Registered
14 Posts
bass playing

Quote: "The bass in my opinion is a completely different instrument, and requires unique musical skills to play it well. "
----------------------------------

May I say guys, that this goes deeper than just playing the instrument? I've found that the bass player is usually a grounded, laid back, stable personality whereas a lead guitar player is an 'out there' front man, show-off hoon-type of personality (sorry guys :) ) - (give it to me in different english!) (who's also pretty prickly!)

Can anyone agree with me on that? What's been your experience?

·
Registered
737 Posts
Hi All! I only took up guitar because I wasn't in a band anymore and found it a little boring playing bass by myself and I wanted to do some recording too. I discovered though, that some things I can figure better on guitar rather than bass, then just do the translation. Works in reverse too. My nails get in the way of doing a lot on guitar but no problem with bass.

Guitar is much more of a stress release thing, much more physical, bass keeps me grounded but I find myself moving a lot now with bass since I started gigging again. Never lose a pick or break a string, no feedback, no array of effects, just the bass and amp grinding like a jack-brake.

SeeYa
Michelle

Oh! A little treasure find.....a set of Roto Swing Bass at a fleamarket, made in 1980! $15

1 - 19 of 19 Posts