The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love the sound of my Traynor YGM3 RI. The tremolo is to die for. However, I'm now having to lug it around regularly. This sucks. Any suggestions on how to get that sound in a 12.5kg/25 LBS or less weight amp? At this point looking at all options (tube, SS, etc.) that can be had for $500 or less.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
How much does the chassis weigh?

I couldn't find a direct answer, but here's a guess, the cab itself weighs about 20 lbs. The whole amp weighs 40 lbs, 18kgs according to Traynor's website.

The speaker weighs only 4lbs.

Mojotone's Deluxe Reverb cab weighs 22lbs.

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
I would keep the amp and either: have a lighter weight combo enclosure made for it, put it in a head enclosure and take a head and cab, buy a small 'dolly' and transport the amp as is without having to carry it (even works for stairs).

I don't think you will equal the amp for less than $500 in a significantly smaller, lighter package.

TG

·
Premium Member
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I weighed the amp this morning. 48 pounds. It's got an Eminence Red Fang in there. I think that weighs 10 pounds or more. If I can swap and lose 5 pounds, that would help.

·
Registered
3,325 Posts
The red fang is almost 9 pounds on its own. Is the RI made of MDF or wood? The originals were not light either as they seemed to made of very dense wood.

·
Premium Member
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's wood, pretty sout though. I run it open back so I could modify the current cabinet by removing the up shelf that acts as the top part of the speaker enclosure. If I can get it under 40, or at least to 40 that would be great.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
I just bought a 2x10 cabinet from Flite Sound that weighs 15lbs.

I wonder if he would be willing to make a combo cabinet for that?

I think you could get to 30lbs with the right speaker, possibly 25, depending on what the chassis weighs.

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
Did you not like the Jensen that came stock? I have the same amp and will weight it tonight to see if Traynor’s 40 lb claim is accurate.

I run it open back as well and agree that it is a fantastic amp.

·
Premium Member
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I bought it used with the Red Fang. Looks like I'm speaker shopping this weekend.

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
Mine is 42 with the stock speaker and open back. Reasonable weight especially if you mount some casters.

I have a few speakers kicking around, I will check the weights and let you know if anything is lighter than your RF

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
The trouble I have with neo speakers is that you're not going to find one that weighs more than a couple of pounds less than the 4lbs the original speaker weighs.

They are really good for high power applications.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts