The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, recently picked up this cool old traynor. Put new filter caps and electrolitics . The reveb is very distorted when I dig into a note. Is I play soft it's beautiful. I put new tubes, all resistors are within spec. Tank reads 180 ohm on input and output. Any ideas? Or just get a new tank.
Cheers

·
Registered
4,842 Posts
What do you have the reverb level set at? Is the reverb control working, or maybe stuck on "full"?
At lower settings on the reverb control, can you dig in more with the pick?
Have a look in the tank, any springs disconnected?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It does it at all levels. Except when at zero. Springs look normal. This was a combo that someone converted to a head. Still heavy as a head...

·
Registered
4,842 Posts
If the springs are good, and you measured around 180 ohms at each end, I think the issue is more likely in the circuit than the tank.
Are you equipped to replace components in the amp and familiar with all the safety issues?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Jb Welder, yes i know how to discharge caps and be safe...i just replaced them. the reverb was distorted before i swapped out the new filter and electrolitics. i was hoping the new ones would fix the problem no such luck.

Cheers

·
Registered
4,842 Posts
Things to try:
Other known good tubes in V5 and V4 positions.
Check that you have good DC levels at the tube drive and recovery of the reverb circuit. V5 pins 1 & 3, V4B pins 6 & 8.
Should be no DC present on tank side of C22.
Should be no DC on R49 side of C18.
Try changing cathode bypass caps C21 & C19.
(this is all assuming no one has modded the reverb circuit poorly ;))

Attachments

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok thanks jb ill check it out. Tubes are new and and is stock as far as I can tell. I'll check if my ygm-1 tank is the same and try that too if it is.
Cheers

·
Registered
4,842 Posts
The ygm1 tank is transformer driven so I don't think it will be the same.
Not sure if you had the problem before you put in the new tubes. If you didn't try it with the old tubes, then a bad new tube is still a possibility.
Troubleshooting can be horribly frustrating when you get new parts bad out of the box, with modern tubes it's not as uncommon as long ago.
This is why I said known good tubes instead of just saying new ones. ;)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
So c23 and c24 were leaking. Replaced and the channel as a whole really came to life, but the reverb is still a little fuzzy. I'm going to order a new mod tank.
What do u guys think of the output tubes heater wires. Really faded from heat? Or not to worry the picture is not the greatest. The preamp heaters are nice and green. The output tube heater wire not so

·
Registered
370 Posts
Hi Paul, I wouldn't rush to replace the tank, I would rather first replace all old blue electrolytic caps on the board, especially C21,22,19.
Heater wires look fine, if the insulation is hard, brittle or rotten , it should be replaced, They just used different colour insulation.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi epis since the picture was taken all the elecrolics have been replaced. And the heater wire is brittle so i guess thats next. U can tell it was geen at one time not in this ppicture thogh.
Cheers

·
Registered
22 Posts
Run a guitar-level sine wave through the amp, and scope the input and output of the reverb tank. So you can find out if the amp is driving the reverb tank with a distorted signal, or if it's coming out of the tank distorted, or if the distortion is happening in the reverb recovery stage.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Lol sorry I just have a DMM. I will let you all know when the tank arrives...still need to order it.
Cheers

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes I tested with good el84's from my ygm-1. But where can you get tubes tested these days? I'm in the Kitchener area and have a wack of tubes that I really am unsure of ?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts