The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have that one since tuesday, a Epi LesPaul Custom Plus:

I really love it! Very good finish, everything is well build! The only bad thing is there 4 frets that have sharpy ends, but will be very easy to fix. I'll change the black/gold hardware 'cause it's not my taste and I prefer the cream/nickel lookin'.

Here are the specs:

# Mahogany body
# Flamed maple top
# Set mahogany neck
# Rosewood fingerboard
# Block fingerboard inlays
# Body, neck, and headstock binding
# 2 volume and 2 tone controls
# 3-way pickup toggle
# 24-3/4" scale

I can't wait to try it in my amp! Next week it will be ready!

·
Premium Member
4,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sorry, I forget to ask a question to all the guitar masters overhere!
I read on many reviews sites that people change the electronic, I understand why changing jack an pots, things like that but the wiring inside it a little confusing for me! What will be the difference with a new electronic?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Personally I don't know what difference changing the wiring makes but all I know is that I picked up an Epi Les Paul Standard in the spring and changed the pickups and electronics and it sounds 95% Gibson Les Paul. Big change in tone. You'll love it even more. Congrats

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
Looks great - cant beat the excitement of new guitar day. I wouldnt worry about the electronics for now - just play the crap out of that thing. If you start running into problems with scratchy or crackling pots, loose jack socket etc then worry about it then. Dont let it spoil your enjoyment of the new geeeetar !

·
Registered
652 Posts
Good pick! Try Gibson Burstbucker Pro's in it for hard rock.
Try Gibson 57 Classic & Classic Plus for a bright rocker/blues sounds. :food-smiley-004:

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Axe looks nice dude! It'll look even better when you swap the hardware.

Most people change the electronics because Epiphone apparently uses shitty ones on all models except Elitist / Signature ones. Don't know the truth behind it, but I've heard an improvement on my step dad's LP. No big deal, it's an easy/cheap swap if you're interested.

http://store.guitarfetish.com/colespaupelc.html

Then buy the pickups you want and it'll sound wicked.

Congrats on the guitar!

·
Premium Member
4,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all y our comments! It's definitly a great axe! I play all morning long and I really love the fat neck! I'll change strings during the week-end 'cause the stock are really sh**y!

violation: Thanks for the links, I will check that and give you some feedbacks!

·
Premium Member
17,160 Posts
they're probably just old.

change the pickups IF you DONT like the sound of the stock ones - if it aint broke, dont fix it. lovely guitar :)

·
Premium Member
13,076 Posts
I don't now how many times I've read posts where people say that they change the pots, caps and switch and it really opened things up. Ninety percent of these upgraded with RS Guitarworks sets.

http://www.rsguitarworks.net/rsstore/

If you aren't happy with the way your controls work, like you loose highs, mids or lows when you roll off volume, or the tone pots don't roll off right, you may want to consider it. They have upgrade kits and pre-wired upgrade kits (for the technically challenged like me)

After that if the pups still sound deficient, you replace the pups.

Tuning problems - fix or replace the nut first. Still a problem, the tuners.

Lastly, if you further want to fine tune your tone and sustain - upgrade the bridge and stop-tail.

And like others have said, ... if it ain't broke....

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
Didn't someone make a thread about RS Guitarworks having insane shipping costs and fees a few months ago though?
They seem pretty high to me. I'd like to get one of their tele upgrade kits, but the shipping cost is almost as much as the kit :D

·
Premium Member
13,076 Posts
I suggest that you contact RS Guitarworks and find out what shipping is.

·
Premium Member
4,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
RS have many good thing to offer! But I don't understand everything what is the long shaft and short shaft update? Is this a different era of switch or pots?

·
Premium Member
13,076 Posts
RS have many good thing to offer! But I don't understand everything what is the long shaft and short shaft update? Is this a different era of switch or pots?
I believe the long shaft were used in vintage Gibsons and the short shaft are used in more modern ones.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts