The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
FullSizeRender.jpg
Hi all, this started off as a Squire Affinity Telecaster. I sanded it down to the bare wood and varnished it with some wood burn. The pickups are Seymour Duncan '59 neck and Jerry Donahue bridge, electronics are emmerson prebuilt kit, knobs and plate from tone pro. Light as a feather and sounds amazing, OK, it's not a custom shop but a fraction of the cost and one of a kind.
Oh , and the vanity Fender waterside decal :)

·
Registered
18,557 Posts
Looks like you put a bit of work into it. I like the colour you chose.

·
Premium Member
16,640 Posts
I think it looks good, and with the hardware upgrades it probably sounds great as well. That being said, I do take issue with a Fender logo on a Squier guitar (no matter what mods you have done).

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
I think it looks good, and with the hardware upgrades it probably sounds great as well. That being said, I do take issue with a Fender logo on a Squier guitar (no matter what mods you have done).
I don't mind, as long as the Squire logo is there in smaller font like the old ones. As long as the Squire logo is still present, or at least the Squire serial number is intact on the back of the headstock I have less of an ethical issue.

·
Premium Member
16,640 Posts
I don't mind, as long as the Squire logo is there in smaller font like the old ones. As long as the Squire logo is still present, or at least the Squire serial number is intact on the back of the headstock I have less of an ethical issue.
It's a Squier, no decal or the Squier decal would be fine. There's enough fake Fenders out there, no need to muddy the waters.

·
Registered
5,488 Posts
It's a Squier, no decal or the Squier decal would be fine. There's enough fake Fenders out there, no need to muddy the waters.
The early squires had the Squire logo in smaller font below a big Fender logo. I would take no issue to someone adding that logo to any Squire. I don't see it and different than putting a 50's style Fender logo on a guitar that had the big font 70s style.

·
Premium Member
16,640 Posts
The early squires had the Squire logo in smaller font below a big Fender logo. I would take no issue to someone adding that logo to any Squire. I don't see it and different than putting a 50's style Fender logo on a guitar that had the big font 70s style.
If it's a Squier guitar, that's what it should say. I don't have flexibility on that one. It's worse than the "Gibson epiphone les paul" for me. It's misleading for the sake of trying to impress people. If you mod the hell out of a Squier and it absolutely rips, own it and let the world know. Or put all your mods into an MIM Standard.

·
Registered
25 Posts
you are all correct, I should have left it bare ( the Squire logo was lost on the sanding process) I
Going to darken the neck and off it will come.
Ya. I have a Fender tele and a partscaster. TBH the partscaster is one of my main go to guitars, the decal doesn't mean anything or contribute to the sound.
Looks great dude, if it sounds half as good as it looks, you're laughing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

L

·
0 Posts
The logo is an issue only when you want to sell the guitar-You must disclose the fact to a potential buyer.

As long as you keep the guitar, what difference does it make?
I have an Allparts/Warmoth Strat where I did the same.
It's a keeper for me (I'll never get what's put into it).
I feel ok about mine because the parts are 'lic by fender'.

P1070223.JPG

P1070668.JPG

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have an Allparts/Warmoth Strat where I did the same.
It's a keeper for me (I'll never get what's put into it).
I feel ok about mine because the parts are 'lic by fender'.

View attachment 85809

View attachment 85817
Hj

My other build has a guenuine Japan Fender Neck with new logo. Pinecaster work Lollars, Emerson electronics , Klusons, and one shot of Nitro. Refret and setup to a tee.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
I wouldn't have put branding on it either.
But that's because I like non branded PartsCasters.

But I get it. It "technically" is a Fender, Because let's face it, Squire doesn't actually exist, it's simply a name in Fender Umbrella

·
Registered
8,560 Posts
That being said, I do take issue with a Fender logo on a Squier guitar (no matter what mods you have done).

While I generally agree with the statement above, I don't think that it should apply in all cases.

When I built a Partscaster Tele I used a Squier Classic Vibe Custom body (I wanted a double-bound sunburst body), put a genuine Fender bridge on it, and then ordered a Fender MIM Classic '60s neck directly from Fender. When they shipped it to me not only did it have the Fender decal, it also had a legit Fender serial number on the back of the headstock. And that neck was ordered through my local L&M so it came to me from Fender through their official distributor.

I don't represent the guitar as a Fender, I openly state that it is a Partscaster, and I have no intention of ever selling it.

Is it wrong for me to have the Fender decal and serial number on the guitar when it was Fender themselves who put those on the neck that they sold to me?

·
Premium Member
16,640 Posts
@colchar you have a different kind of partscaster thing going on though. It makes sense for you to leave the logo because you can sell the neck for what it is - a fender neck. Your body should be serial'd as a squier and would be sold as such. In the case of the OP, both neck and body are still squier parts.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts