The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so I was at a family reunion kind of barbecue thing last night, and I took my guitar (upon my aunt's suggestion). Anyway, once I got there, an older relative of mine (whom I am not entirely sure of our relation) made the statement that her father used to play, and that she has a Gibson. So, after we had dinner and stuff, I went over to her house nearby to check it out. It has those "f" holes in it and is entirely acoustic. I was afraid to touch it.

So anyway, I was wondering what exactly it was:

·
Registered
104 Posts
I'm 99% sure this is a wartime ('41-'45) Gibson L-50.

The giveaway date indicators are the script Gibson logo, and more precisely the "wartime" wood trapeze tailpiece, which was utilized during the war to preserve metal.

The dot inlays indicate the lower-end, but hugely popular L-50.

Here's a link to a '43 L-50 previously sold by archtop.com:

http://www.archtop.com/ac_43L50.html

Cheers,

Blair

·
Premium Member
17,439 Posts
What a find!!

Would you consider letting us know the estimated value, once it has been appraised? Thanks.

Dave

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
very...very...interesting.

that Gibson looks identical to my ARCIIKRAFT which I can't seem to find any info.

me thinks i will try that link mentioned above.

cheers
RIFF

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What a find!!

Would you consider letting us know the estimated value, once it has been appraised? Thanks.

Dave
Well, my relative said that a guitar guy had a look at it but that he couldn't give a estimate without the serial number. He also said that the number was located inside of the body of the guitar, which seems off to me. Since I do not own this beauty, (yet) I am not very apt to want to open it up to find a number. But yeah, in other news, it's a beautiful guitar, there are still old Gibson brand strings in the hard case.

·
Premium Member
17,439 Posts
Well, my relative said that a guitar guy had a look at it but that he couldn't give a estimate without the serial number. He also said that the number was located inside of the body of the guitar, which seems off to me. Since I do not own this beauty, (yet) I am not very apt to want to open it up to find a number. But yeah, in other news, it's a beautiful guitar, there are still old Gibson brand strings in the hard case.
Would your relative be comfortable with you looking inside the guitar with a "dental" style inspection mirror ?
You can get them at places like Canadian Tire for a few bucks. Some have extendable/telescoping handles.

Once you found the serial number, you could do the research on the internet, or directly with Gibson, to determine the date of production, etc.

The old Gibson strings, in their original packaging, would be a treasure to some collector. An additional cool find.

Dave

·
Registered
104 Posts

Personally, I don't think the serial number is necessary. I'm unaware of any price/value differences between a '41 and a '45 L-50. Even if the wartime tailpiece was not original to this guitar, that scipt logo was only used for a defined period of time and certainly would never be faked in these circumstances. Once you know the era, which seems pretty apparent, then it falls to assessing the condition of the instrument and whether there are any other premium items - ie. original papers, original case, etc. - to augment the value.

Cheers,
Blair

·
Registered
104 Posts
A further unsolicited opinion...

Though I have not seen the guitar in person, from the wear displayed in the photos, I'd estimate the guitar is worth $800-$1100 USD real selling price. A retail shop might offer it for something up to about $1499 USD - I suspect they wouldn't be able to get that much. Also, if the guitar needed some real work - like a refret, or cleating of cracks - it would be worth less money.

Cheers,
Blair

·
Premium Member
17,439 Posts
"that scipt logo was only used for a defined period of time and certainly would never be faked in these circumstances."

Rhythmeister Your posts will be very helpful. Didn't know that about the script logo (as I have never spent any time reading about vintage instruments).

Enjoyed reading your posts. Very informative.

Dave

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you once again, I am somewhat sure that it still has its original case from what I have researched on these L-50s. The guitar is not easily accessible by me right now, so I cannot give a good look at the case pocket.

·
Premium Member
2,036 Posts
I had one of these though from the late 30's-put new strings on and play every note on every fret-mine had wolf notes galore.

·
Registered
20 Posts
L50/L48.. nice... sold one last year for $800... looked the same with the pick marks..... but had a crack from the f-hole to the edge....

·
Registered
377 Posts
I looked in a book and it looks VERY alike a 'Gibson L-5' from the very early 1900's, according to the book, anywhere bewteen 1922-1929

1 - 17 of 17 Posts