The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what's everyone's thoughts on this amp. I see a lot of conversation about the cv50 but the ycv80 112 is just as good of a deal if you get it used. I saw one get sold for $500.00 canadian. The list price is $940.00. If you include tax that's less than half price :eek: I tried one a few days ago and it had an amazing clean channel. I'm usually not big on features but the clean had a bright switch and an "expand" switch. When these two were used I could hardly believe I was using the bridge humbucker on the godin I tried it with. It seriously sounded like a single coil. I actually looked down to make sure I had the humbucker selected. Unfortunately, I just tried it in the store and I didn't really get a chance to push the gain channel far at all. I could push the 50 further and the overdrive sounded great with the same guitar but even though the cleans were great I thought the cleans on the cv80 were much better. I'm hoping to go to another store soon and try the same amps in a sound room for a real test.

I'm really interested in hearing some thoughts on the 80. It just doesn't seem to get mentioned much on these forums.

·
Registered
874 Posts
I had an 80 for awhile. You are right on about the cleans but the gain side just did not do it for me. Nothing I tried seem to get what I was looking for. Sold it ...almost got the 50....ended up with a Crate VFX5112 and a Avatar 2x12. Just love that combo. Absolutly no regrets.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I had the YCV80 2X12 for awhile. I swapped out the spkrs for a pair of Celestion Vintage 30's and it was pretty amazing. The thing that killed it for me was weight, up and down stairs, it was just too much, and 80 watts is really more than I need. I find 40 watts too much sometimes! I play in a 6-piece blues band and my tweed HRD is more than enough amp. That YCV80 was a fine amp though.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts