The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I decided to bring back the YCV40 and upgrade to the YCV40WR before my 30 days were up. Never had much of a chance to try it out yet, but I'm thinking that their could be a problem with the volume pan on channel 1.
If the gain is off, I can turn up the volume all the way and get no sound.
If I turn the gain up to 4/5, then the volume will start to work some, but it doesn't sound right.
In other words if the gain is off, I can't use channel 1???

Anyone have any suggestion of what to check, or should I just bring it back.

Thanks,

NM

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
Bring it back. You don't want to buy something that has a problem right out of the gate.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks S2T!
I wanted to post here first and confirm that the volume is independant of the gain and can be used on it's own before I brought it back.

NM

·
Registered
22 Posts
the gain has to be on for there to be volume, its not a problem, its the way the amp is designed. Many, many dual channel amps must have some gain before the signal can be passed down the line. You should start to hear volume around 2-2.5 on the gain knob, if not, ya take it back.

blame canada! :smilie_flagge17: :)

·
Premium Member
852 Posts
As Bobbypols mentions, this is the correct operation for YCV40 amps.

On my amp the sound starts coming in with the gain set at about one and the volume set at one. Not very much volume mind you, but it can be heard at those levels. This could vary a bit between amps and, of course, volume settings.

I personally find that I like the gain to be set between 8 & 10, and not lower, to get the tone I like. You may find turning the gain up to a higher setting or turning the channel one boost on may get you better tone.

Play with it and see what you come up with.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys, I wasn't sure if the gain needed to be on. On the amp I traded in, I didn't notice this at all, so maybe the volume worked with less gain on.
I'm going to try it again later this afternoon.

NM

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I had quite a bit of time to play around with it this afternoon, and you guys are right. It did start working with the gain around 2-2.5. I also was able to fine tune the tone to my liking on both channels. Thanks for the tip about raising the gain to the upper levels, with it high and the volume low it works out guite nicely. :food-smiley-004:

NM

·
Registered
22 Posts
personally i like the master on 10, the chan vol on 10, then the gain up to the loudness level desired, i hate pre amp distortion unless its through a dirt box, into a cooking tube power amp.

·
Premium Member
17,161 Posts
gain is just another volume knob in disguise - BEWARE! lol

1 - 10 of 10 Posts