The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a ycv40 traynor. i would like to change the tubes and speaker, thinking of going to a cels gold speaker, would like to put in better tubes [hotte ones] any ides. thank you.:bow:

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
I have a ycv40 traynor. i would like to change the tubes and speaker, thinking of going to a cels gold speaker, would like to put in better tubes [hotte ones] any ides. thank you.:bow:

Don't expect much difference from changing brands of tubes. To me there's really only two kinds - crap and good! If you've already got something good any differences tend to be really subtle and hard to pick out. The way you set the controls and the way you play your guitar will make much more obvious differences. The new TungSol 12AX7 is very quiet, which is a plus. However, some amps run plate voltages much too high on the preamp tubes, trying to get more gain without having to actually put in another tube, which increases the cost to make the amp. Carvins, Peaveys and some others do this and you can get an unstable amp if you use certain brands like TungSol. It's not the tube's fault, it's the amp manufacturer flogging the poor tube way past its specs! Put that TungSol in a properly designed amp and it will perform beautifully.

Much of the talk about different brands of tubes is just that, talk! Blindfold someone, feed him a couple of beer and then start changing tubes. I doubt if he'll do very well in such a test. If someone wants to change the tone of their amp they should learn how to change the circuit inside their amp. Changing the value of one resistor or one cap will make far more difference than changing a tube ever will!

Now, changing speakers can make a BIG difference! However, it's all personal taste. How can anyone advise you when you never said what type of sound you're looking to get from the amp?

Tell us what kind of music you play! What type of guitar do you have! What kind of pickups! You've left us in the dark. These are important factors.

A lot of guys on this board have used the YCV40 and some have tried speaker changes. If you give them more info to work with I'm sure they can chime in with some good advice.

:food-smiley-004:

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sorry

the type of guitar is fender strat, tex mex in neck and middle perly gate in brage spot type of music i play from santana to vai and all blues in between jazz, death metal ect ect ect.thank you for info on tubes. would you recamend a good speaker with the above info.:bow:

·
Premium Member
848 Posts
Hi Zinga

Call Bob at Eurotubes

http://www.eurotubes.com/

I bought a complete set of JJ tubes from him for my YCV40, and there was a big difference over the absolutely brutal stock Sovtek tubes.

Not only are JJ tubes better quality than the Sovtek tubes, Bob's ability to properly match the tubes in a set for your amp is even more important. His pricing and service are excellent and delivery is fast.

Bob has several re-tube kits available for the YCV40 depending on your playing style.

I purchased the 6L6 standard re-tube kit for my amp and am so happy that I will continue to purchase replacement tubes from Bob in the future.

·
Registered
9,490 Posts
I've tried a V30 and a G12H30 in the YCV's. For classic rock I preferred the G12H but if you need the rapid response and depth that more modern styles require then it's tough to beat the V30. For what it's worth, I actually find the 70/80 to be a decent speaker that works well at lower volumes or for classic rock. A closed back cab can make a huge difference too.

As for tubes, I'm with the previous poster who says that there are only good tubes and bad tubes - the differences I have encountered between tubes are very slight shadings to my ears.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts