The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking of picking up one of these MIJ guitars since the prices of MIJ Greco's and Tokai's seem to approach brand new Gibson pricing lately.

Anyone know what a good price for a Studio Lord (eg. SL500) and Lord player (LP400) would be these days? Prices seem to be all over the map for these...

· Premium Member
3,893 Posts
Well there's been an LP400 local to me for months at $950 and still not sold.. that's right at the "just go buy a used Studio" price, or a new Epiphone. And not much "chatter" about these, like Greco and Burny get, and the conclusion is it's priced too high..
$700? Probably sell.

· Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well there's been an LP400 local to me for months at $950 and still not sold.. that's right at the "just go buy a used Studio" price, or a new Epiphone. And not much "chatter" about these, like Greco and Burny get, and the conclusion is it's priced too high..
$700? Probably sell.
Yeah I've been chatting with that seller and he isn't budging much. That said, there are Studio Lord models selling for around $800-900 and the Lord Player models are supposed to be higher models from what I understand. So his price doesn't sound too outrageous in comparison?? I know Paul's boutique has an SL500 at $899 at the moment...

· Premium Member
3,893 Posts
Yeah I've been chatting with that seller and he isn't budging much. That said, there are Studio Lord models selling for around $800-900 and the Lord Player models are supposed to be higher models from what I understand. So his price doesn't sound too outrageous in comparison?? I know Paul's boutique has an SL500 at $899 at the moment...
If Paul's has a higher model for same $$, well, always go with the higher end model.

· Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If Paul's has a higher model for same $$, well, always go with the higher end model.
I guess that's what I'm wondering...is the Studio Lord 500 a higher model than the Lord Player 400? I know the LP models have the open book headstock vs the Yamaha headstock on the Studio Lord's but I'm not sure which one is better the other. From what I've gathered online the LP models were made for the Japanese domestic market and the Studio Lord's were made for export...not sure if that makes one better than the other though??

· Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good question... is that SL500 a set neck? Or bolt on?
I assumed the SL500 was a higher up model but you're right to question that assumption, it might not be.
The SL500 is set neck as I think the SL4xx and lower were bolt on. There seems to be a general idea on some of the threads I've read that the Lord Players were better but not sure if that's really true...

· Premium Member
Fender PBass mainly (62 & 72)
569 Posts
There's a nice looking one on Reverb.
Asking is a bit spendier than what you're talking about, but that seems par for the course on EtsyReverb these days. Accepts offers, so who knows?

There's also been a whack of nice looking Grecos and Burnys at Pauls Boutique the last little while. I'd go have a look over there too.

And the best of the bunch, Yamaha SG1000

Not mine, no affiliation.

· Premium Member
Fender PBass mainly (62 & 72)
569 Posts

· Registered
33 Posts
Of all the guitars I have had in the past (I had a LOT), I have kept all of my Yamaha's. I have an A3R acoustic (new), a SA2200 electric (used but min) and a BB1024X bass (new). I came close to buy one of the SL on Reverb, but I don't need it.

I would not hesitate to get one, I think they are great guitars and you get a lot of quality for the price. I also like that you pay for quality and not the brand.

· Registered
722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Nice - the SA2200 is a beauty!!

I have a Revstar RS502 that I don't think I will ever let go and also a Yamha acoustic. A Pacifica PAC611 is also on my list of "nice to have" guitars - if I ever see a really good deal on one I just might have to bite. Kicking myself for passing on one a couple of years ago that someone was selling for $450.

As much as I really really like the Studio Lord's I may have to pass for now as I've developed some shoulder/neck issues that make it very difficult for me to play anything over 8 lbs.

· Registered
33 Posts
Nice - the SA2200 is a beauty!!

I have a Revstar RS502 that I don't think I will ever let go and also a Yamha acoustic. A Pacifica PAC611 is also on my list of "nice to have" guitars - if I ever see a really good deal on one I just might have to bite. Kicking myself for passing on one a couple of years ago that someone was selling for $450.

As much as I really really like the Studio Lord's I may have to pass for now as I've developed some shoulder/neck issues that make it very difficult for me to play anything over 8 lbs.
The SA2200 is the best guitar I have ever played in my life. No joke. The tones, the action, the feel of the neck, the construction. Impeccable. I have now zero excuses not to play well. If it sounds like crap, it's me, not the guitar. haha

1 - 14 of 14 Posts