The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
ClintonHammond said:
AKA "The Silent Guitar"
http://www.yamaha.co.jp/english/product/guitar/silent_guitar/

Any reviews? Any opinions? Anyone want a Mentos?

I donno why, but this thing appeals to me... Been debating making the investment (Maybe selling off one of my A-Series "Folk" modle Seagulls) to pack to gigs, and for playing late at night, when Herself is asleep.
Clinton, I can see how something like this would appeal to you somehow. For the kind of gig that you seem to do, I could see it being pretty high on the *wow* factor meter. And it's a yamaha, so it's got to be decent sounding. I'm not at that stage, I'm a fairly new player and I want to experiment with the more *classic* type of guitars (LesPaul, Tele, ..) but I wouldn't mind getting one of these someday.

Go for it, and let us know what you think. :sport-smiley-002:

·
Registered
319 Posts
and to add to the wow factor, show up at a gig with the guts of an amp and a huge speaker. Put the guts on the floor and lean the speaker on a chair. Plug in. Et voila!!

They'll talk about you for years :D

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
the new version of these seems to have a wooden frame as opposed to plastic...but I`ve yet to see one live..so far only in catalogs. I`ve heard the nylon models on TV and they sounded pretty good.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wooden frames??? Got a url for such a beast???

So I was at my local Long & McQuade yesterday to replace a busted Mic Stand (these wild folkies ya know...) and had a few mo's to pick up an SLG100S, and noodle around for a bit.... I donno... For some reason I kinda like the feel of this thing....

Now if I can just move a few more things outa my Virtual Yard Sale, I might be able to afford one

:)

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
yes it is wood...saw one last week in a local shop. They are listed as new in the 2006 catalog. Haven`t searched it on the web `cause I have the catalog, plus I never go to their web site.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've searched the web and found no sign of any wood frame....

:-(

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have one of these, the nylon string model. I like it very much. I just wanted something to play sitting on the couch watching tv, but I've actually used it quite a bit for recording too. The quality is good as is the sound. mostly i play through head phones. not a lot of tonal variation, but it does have an overall nice tone, good for classical when you want to practice quietly, but sound good through my gear as well. i paid 200 at a pawn shop about a year and a half ago, a good deal because i think they are about 4-500 or so new.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Seems to me that defeats the purpose of having it... Given that it's MADE to reproduce the feel and plugged sound of an acoustic guitar....

·
Banned
1,195 Posts
i've played them a few times. they're nice, obviously they're low on the "feel it in your chest" vibration scale, but the necks are good, the fit and finish are up to yamaha standards (excellent), and the electronics seem to be pretty good (i've only heard them through headphones, not in a live setting. i think you'd do well with it.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My Seagulls have very similar LR Baggs pickups in them, so I'm pretty familiar with that sound already.

Portability is also a factor I'm really looking forward to.

I'm also curious if I can turn part of it into a make-shift crossbow, for those really outa control gigs! LOL

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Tom Petty is right....

"The waaaaay aaay ting.... is the haaaaaardest part!"

,-)

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
...i picked one of these up in a store one time, just to satisfy my curiosity.

i was amazed by how well it played.

fantastic travel guitar - play it through a small amp in your hotel room during the day, and unplugged at night.

-dh

1 - 20 of 32 Posts