The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the opportunity to trade an Ibanez semihollow AMV10A (Tobacco) with a hard case for a Yamaha Revstar RS620 in brick burst with a padded gig bag.

I had put up the Ibanez on kijiji because I want to help finance a Gibson SG faded that I am really gassing for. However I was offered the yamaha in a trade, and it has intrigued me. One thing I worry about are the pickups. I don't want to put money into modifications. I like pickups that are not hot... these are described as: "Alnico V magnet, German silver baseplate and heavy formvar wire for bright, powerful, balanced vintage/modern sound. [8.3k (neck) / 8.8k (bridge) DCR]"

At the very least, part of me thinks I could do the trade and later try to sell the Yamaha. Which one would be more difficult to offload the Yamaha or the Ibanez?

Any opinions either way?

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sell your guitar outright if the trade offer is not the guitar you want.
I wish I could see it so simply. But the gas is not a simple muse. I'm thinking the Yamaha is a potential and interesting upgrade over the Ibanez, and maybe even a longterm one at that. However, it's not what I was originally seeking, so there's the dilemma. If I could hear from people who've had experience with the Revstars and even compared them to a model like a faded SG that would be great. The more I become accustomed to the image of the revstar, the more I really like it.

I love the originality of the Revstar's form, yet how it still seems classic in a sense. However, the faded SG to my mind is just pure grit and evil, which I'm very attracted to... The downside is that the SG is seen by many in the same terms, and I play hard stoner like rock. In short, the SG is admittedly a bit cliché for that genre. But I can't help it if my childlike inner Angus Young/Iommi pulls me in the direction of a SG.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
The Ibanez seems like a really useful guitar. Maybe not as your #1 but as an alternate sort of look and feel and sound to use on certain songs.

SG Faded is only 7 or 8 hundred, right? I'm seeing some used ones as low as 6.

Are you sure you can't have both?

·
Premium Member
16,800 Posts
I wish I could see it so simply. But the gas is not a simple muse. I'm thinking the Yamaha is a potential and interesting upgrade over the Ibanez, and maybe even a longterm one at that. However, it's not what I was originally seeking, so there's the dilemma.
Ask yourself this: if you trade for the revstar and skip the SG, do you feel like you're settling? If "yes", don't do the trade. I agree that it probably is a sideways move or an upgrade (no experience with the two guitars in question) but in my experience with guitar forms, if you don't go for what you really want you just end up kicking yourself and potentially losing money on trades until you buy what you wanted originally.

·
Registered
6,028 Posts
Try a revstar with p90s.

They were on sale for about 500 awhile ago around here. Seemed like a decent enough sorta rock machine to me and looked good too in an industrial design sort of way.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
in my experience with guitar forms, if you don't go for what you really want you just end up kicking yourself and potentially losing money on trades until you buy what you wanted originally.
Good point. But what if the trade seems to favour you monetarily, which gets you closer to your goal if you were to sell/trade that second guitar in the future?

·
Premium Member
16,800 Posts
Good point. But what if the trade seems to favour you monetarily, which gets you closer to your goal if you were to sell/trade that second guitar in the future?
Just how fast do you think you can sell that revstar? Yamaha isn't as big a name as Epiphone or Ibanez - you have to find someone who really wants that particular guitar. It doesn't matter how good the guitar *actually* is, potential buyers will have their preconceived notions. If the seller of the revstar is offering you a straight trade, that should tell you something.

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
I had a Revstar 820CR with the same pickups and they were superb. Very nice tone, expressive, and easy to tweak with the volume/tone controls as well as the dry switch.

Fit & finish would put a typical Gibson Custom Shop to shame.

As others have mentioned, if it doesn't say Gibson or Fender on the headstock, then it will be a tougher sale -- even Ibanez. But if you like the guitar, that's all that really matters and I don't think you'd be any worse off.

If anyone is looking for one of the P90 equipped Revstars, there is a new one at Kaos Music near Bloor/Royal York for $529.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
I think you will always be gassing for a Gibson SG , you might better go with your original plan... and thinking long term you can’t go wrong with a Gibson....

·
Registered
6,028 Posts
If anyone is looking for one of the P90 equipped Revstars, there is a new one at Kaos Music near Bloor/Royal York for $529.
That place is right near where I live and the guitar on their web site is the machine shop green P90 version that I like.

·
Premium Member
884 Posts
I thought they looked pretty cool when they came out, but it doesn’t seem they sold very well as 1. I’ve hardly seen them anywhere, and 2. they were discounted anywhere I did see them. So, resale/trade value may not be the best.

I picked a few up and played them unplugged. They seemed kind of neat, but the ones I picked up were really heavy, so that put me off from trying them too seriously.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Update ... and a rant about a Kijijidiot:

So, I met with the guy who offered the Yamaha Revstar 620 in a trade for my Ibanez semi hollow.

Mistake #1: I agreed to meet at his house, which meant I had to rent a car and drive across the city. Had the deal worked out I would have absolutely been fine with this... but ... here goes the rant:

a) I have the Ibanez for sale on kijiji, with the line "no trades (unless it's for a Gibson SG)"
2) The guy contacts me immediately offering a trade, but of course not an SG. Instead he offers his Revstar, and says I should look at the reviews, videos, etc.
3) I agree to meet up, to try it out.. Over the days that followed I became very intrigued and excited by the possibility of completing the trade.
4) Today, once I am already there, he says he thought he was trading for another Ibanez guitar, which he preferred. He says that he mentioned the model of guitar he was looking for in his own ad. I reminded him that he contacted me to initiate the trade, not the other way around.
5) In my ad, it is mentioned that the Ibanez had a small ding. Today he was very shocked by it. I reminded him that it was mentioned explicitly in the ad and there was also a picture of it. He responds "I couldn't see it in the pictures." I tell him, I included a close-up photo, where the ding pretty much fills the entire frame.
6) Now he starts talking about how the trade is not equivalent monetarily, and whips out some sheets he had clearly printed and highlighted beforehand, showing me new prices for both guitars as well as used prices on kijiji. I tell him that this needed to be sorted out well beforehand, and I'm an individual, not a store with a price match policy.

So, in the end, I left really pissed. What a massive waste of time. If any of you are thinking of buying or trading for a Revstar in Montreal, PM me so I can give you the details on this guy and prevent you from going though something similar.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Chapter 3: The Happy Ending
Thursday evening I was able to sell my Ibanez guitar, and with the same amount of money I was able to buy myself a used Gibson Faded Sg with a case, which is what I was always gassing for! I love how this all turned out, despite the huge frustration. But good stories seldom have happy endings without some tension and challenges beforehand. Thanks to everyone for your input. I'll likely do a NGD post too...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts