The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a Peavey XXX II head (second edition XXX) and it just doesn’t sound right. Out of the lead channel I get not a distorted tone but more of a fuzz. I can’t get much distortion out of this head, from what I see it’s running 4 6L6’s. What are some areas to troubleshoot?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Does it have the correct preamp tubes? If a lower gain preamp tube was swapped in it could cause the problem you are having.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay so I took a look at the Tubes and I have 3 Ruby 6L6 tubes and among the 4 power tubes one of these is a Sovtek 5881WXT tube. This could be my whole issue. Could I find a Ruby tube that matches the 3 power tubes and swap it in or must I buy 4 matching tubes?

·
Registered
59 Posts
what are the correct tubes?
Power tubes should all be 6L6 or all 5881, preamp tubes should all be 12AX7. 5881 and 6L6 tubes run at different plate voltages, with the 5881 having less power. I would say that your volume would probably increase and your tone improve if you used all 6L6 tubes in the power section. Replacing that one tube is probably an inexpensive place to start on this repair.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts