The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked one up from L&M on the weekend. Pretty impressed. I love that I can walk around and adjust the amps and such without having to worry about the cord pulling something over. The only small issue I’ve had so far is that if the receiver is close to my iPhone, I get dropouts. Moving it more than 6” away solves the problem. Didn’t even bother trying other channels.

Good value for just under $200.00.

Oh, won’t fit the Ibanez S series jacks.

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
Nice! I gigged with mine on Saturday night. We were set up on a backyard deck. Mid tune, I walked off the deck and circled through the dancing crowd. Fun stuff.

Previous to getting the XVive, I had never heard my own amps from more than 10 feet away! It's an interesting experience.

·
Premium Member
4,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice! I gigged with mine on Saturday night. We were set up on a backyard deck. Mid tune, I walked off the deck and circled through the dancing crowd. Fun stuff.

Previous to getting the XVive, I had never heard my own amps from more than 10 feet away! It's an interesting experience.
It's amazing how much your amp sound changes just from small changes in playing position.

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
It's amazing how much your amp sound changes just from small changes in playing position.
The rehearsal room my band uses has a couple of very large, very loud amps. If I'm in the line of fire of one of those amps... holy mackerel! I've often asked someone to turn their amp away. It really opened my eyes (ears?) to what the sound is really doing as it comes out of those speakers.

·
Premium Member
4,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The rehearsal room my band uses has a couple of very large, very loud amps. If I'm in the line of fire of one of those amps... holy mackerel! I've often asked someone to turn their amp away. It really opened my eyes (ears?) to what the sound is really doing as it comes out of those speakers.
We're about to make our lead guitarist play in another room!

·
Premium Member
439 Posts
I've always been curious about wireless systems.
I'd be interested in hearing from any hard-core tone freaks out there that have tried wireless. Should a person expect their tone to be degraded?

P

·
0 Posts
I saw this bold notice on Amazon.ca:

Consumer Alert: Most users do not need a license to operate this wireless microphone system. Nevertheless, operating this microphone system without a license is subject to certain restrictions: the system may not cause harmful interference; it must operate at a low power level (not in excess of 50 milliwatts); and it has no protection from interference received from any other device. Please note that due to the upcoming Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada (formerly Industry Canada) Auction, the use of wireless microphones and personal monitor systems in the 600 MHz Band eventually will be prohibited by law. The “600 MHz Band” refers to frequency ranges 616–653 MHz and 663–698 MHz. If you use wireless systems that operate in the 600 MHz Band, then you should plan to transition to another range of spectrum.

I was aware the USA had privatized and sold off bandwidth, but I wasn't aware Canada was selling out.

$179 free shipping:
XVIVE U2 Digital Compact Guitar Wireless System: Amazon.ca: Musical Instruments, Stage & Studio

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
Since this operates at 2.4 GHz it doesn't really impact it?
Correct. It only affects older UHF range wireless units.
@Granny Gremlin, The 700mhz band was sold off several years ago, now the 600mhz UHF range is being sold off, but it is thought units in that range will still be able to operate for at least a couple years: Update on the 600 MHz Spectrum in Canada

I'd be interested in hearing from any hard-core tone freaks out there that have tried wireless. Should a person expect their tone to be degraded?
No, there should be no degradation. Systems now are incredibly sophisticated compared to what was out there 25yrs ago, and those usually did not degrade the signal.
However, your guitar cable has capacitance, which varies dependent on the length of cable. This tends to roll off a bit of the highs. So whatever loss of highs (depending on your cable length) you have will be corrected with the wireless system, often making it seem more bright sounding. Actually the opposite of degradation, but a difference you may notice.

·
Premium Member
11,859 Posts
I was aware the USA had privatized and sold off bandwidth, but I wasn't aware Canada was selling out.

$179 free shipping:
XVIVE U2 Digital Compact Guitar Wireless System: Amazon.ca: Musical Instruments, Stage & Studio

Canada has sold off bandwidth since, well, forever. Bands often go from one application to another, depending on technology and the market. Consumer bands are often auctioned off to corporations to provide us, the consumer, with the necessary connections for all our toys.

At one time, 2 GHz was licenced for point-to-point microwave -expensive equipment that was far from consumer grade, back when 2 GHZ was considered high freq. Electronics advanced and pretty soon, 2 GHz was a good place to put consumer equipment (cellphones, etc). Industry was kicked out of the 2 GHz band (but given a decade's notice). By then, industrial grade microwave had moved past 20 GHz.

Some of us call it progress, instead of 'selling out'. YMMV.

Reactions: jb welder
P

·
0 Posts
Canada has sold off bandwidth since, well, forever. Bands often go from one application to another, depending on technology and the market. Consumer bands are often auctioned off to corporations to provide us, the consumer, with the necessary connections for all our toys.

At one time, 2 GHz was licenced for point-to-point microwave -expensive equipment that was far from consumer grade, back when 2 GHZ was considered high freq. Electronics advanced and pretty soon, 2 GHz was a good place to put consumer equipment (cellphones, etc). Industry was kicked out of the 2 GHz band (but given a decade's notice). By then, industrial grade microwave had moved past 20 GHz.

Some of us call it progress, instead of 'selling out'. YMMV.
I read about how all the high quality professional mics and equipment being used and owned by stadiums, theaters etc. are having to be replaced because of this in the US. Some are facing shut downs as they don't have the $50K to buy all new mics for the shows and the stage hands. Some have 50 -100 wireless devices worth tons of money. All the sporting events, the security companies as well have to purchase all new gear.

·
Premium Member
11,859 Posts
I read about how all the high quality professional mics and equipment being used and owned by stadiums, theaters etc. are having to be replaced because of this in the US. Some are facing shut downs as they don't have the $50K to buy all new mics for the shows and the stage hands. Some have 50 -100 wireless devices worth tons of money. All the sporting events, the security companies as well have to purchase all new gear.
IME (and I have experience in similar situations in Canada), this doesn't happen overnight. It doesn't even happen in a year. It takes years to free spectrum up. You may have just found out about this, but people in the business should be aware, if they read trade mags, go to trade shows, have industry connections, etc. If they didn't know about it, it's on them.

Kinda like TV going digital. Did you just wake up one morning and analog signal was gone? I knew about for, I dunno, probably 5 years. Maybe more.

P

·
0 Posts
IME (and I have experience in similar situations in Canada), this doesn't happen overnight. It doesn't even happen in a year. It takes years to free spectrum up. You may have just found out about this, but people in the business should be aware, if they read trade mags, go to trade shows, have industry connections, etc. If they didn't know about it, it's on them.

Kinda like TV going digital. Did you just wake up one morning and analog signal was gone? I knew about for, I dunno, probably 5 years. Maybe more.
Right. But many venues are probably just scraping by, and having to invest $1000's into new wireless will shut them down.

·
Premium Member
11,859 Posts
The cost of doing business. Again, this didn't happen overnight. And wireless gear has to be replaced as it ages and wears out (or breaks from repeated dropping). This should have been budgeted for years ago, in line with their 'replacement process' and just a part of it.

Or we could just not have cellphones and wifi and digital TV, etc. I suppose that was an option. Personally, I'm glad we went the way we did.

·
Administrator
15,984 Posts
I've always been curious about wireless systems.
To be honest, and many here will disagree with me, I sold 2 of the Line Sux units for that very reason. Just couldn't dial out what my ears heard as some nasty treble added into the signal. After that I decided to spend a bit more money and bought the Shure Digital unit. Absolutely perfect and no tone loss at all.

·
Premium Member
4,190 Posts
To be honest, and many here will disagree with me, I sold 2 of the Line Sux units for that very reason. Just couldn't dial out what my ears heard as some nasty treble added into the signal. After that I decided to spend a bit more money and bought the Shure Digital unit. Absolutely perfect and no tone loss at all.
Dave which line 6 did you try? The Line 6 G30 I've had for close to 10 years now has cable tone simulation which you can set if you find it too bright. If you got Line6 G10 which I also have doesn't have that option and that one I find bright.

·
Premium Member
64 Gretsch 6120, 65 Fender Tremolux and a 58 Supro 1624T
3,112 Posts
@sulphur just got a new one I think :)

·
Registered
458 Posts
I was going to check these out but Boss recently introduced the WL series at a slightly higher price point. Big issue for me is how they will work with my Godin's HDR given the TRS plug and how each handles active circuitry...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts