The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 127 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't get a hotel over there to save my life. The 16th and 17th - no problem. The 18th and 19th? Nope.

I'm looking at $700/night hotels at this point and the RCMP is NOT going to pay for that.

Is there something going on over there that I should know about?

·
Premium Member
8,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There's some sort of running thing on the weekend, but I can't understand why the business days are booked solid - everywhere.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
16,627 Posts
Maybe there is an international conference?

I have only done airb'n'b once, it was a positive experience.

·
Registered
24,143 Posts
I recently learned, via a podcast, why it's called AirBnB. The founders were facing a sudden rent hike on their place in San Francisco. IIRC, they were also losing one of their roommates that they split the place with. Long story short, there was a design conference in town, and every single hotel was booked solid, so they put an ad on Craigslist or something, and offered up room at their place on an airbed for a modest price. And that's why it is Airb & B - an airbed and breakfast.

What part of the city do you need to be in? I'm happy to poke around. Or if you behave yourself, you're always welcome to stay at Casa di Hammer. We've accommodated various forum folks before.

As for what's on from the 18th to 19th, I have no idea.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Comfort Inn in Gatineau is 6km away and it's $116 a night

·
Premium Member
8,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Comfort Inn in Gatineau is 6km away and it's $116 a night
I booked in gatineau just in case I couldn't find a place closer to the RCMP headquarters. Now I ended up right across from the RCMP after 2 hours of phone calls.

I got a call from their head of surveillance telling me to call this number ASAP and they have all the nights available at $135/night (gov of canada guest rate). I called right away and they sold while I was on hold.

So, I ended up booking a place 100 meters from the above at $145/night, but the guest rate doesn't apply to my last night, so I have to pay $450. Again, wtf?

@mhammer, I may take you up on that offer for the last night...but in the words of antoine dodson, "hide your wife, hide your kids..." :D

I looked up airbnb. So you're staying at some random person's house? That seems a little odd to me. It's too late for me to delve any further into that.

·
Registered
24,143 Posts
I booked in gatineau just in case I couldn't find a place closer to the RCMP headquarters. Now I ended up right across from the RCMP after 2 hours of phone calls.

I got a call from their head of surveillance telling me to call this number ASAP and they have all the nights available at $135/night (gov of canada guest rate). I called right away and they sold while I was on hold.

So, I ended up booking a place 100 meters from the above at $145/night, but the guest rate doesn't apply to my last night, so I have to pay $450. Again, wtf?

@mhammer, I may take you up on that offer for the last night...but in the words of antoine dodson, "hide your wife, hide your kids..." :D

I looked up airbnb. So you're staying at some random person's house? That seems a little odd to me. It's too late for me to delve any further into that.
Should I assume this is the RCMP HQ in Vanier, just across the highway from the train station? Will you have a vehicle? My invitation is offered in good faith, but note that we are on the complete other side of the city from that particular location. Right near Lee Valley Tools HQ and IKEA, but far from the RCMP.

The problem with Air B&B is often not what they are, but rather what they are not, and that is affordable rental housing for folks who can't afford to buy a house. To much affordable rental housing has been bought up by folks who leverage them into essentially unlicensed hotel suites. They put in some basic furniture, and rent it out. a night at a time. But they don't live there. The original idea behind Air B&B was that someone had a spare bedroom, or "Well, we're going to be on holiday for 3 weeks, so maybe someone would be interested in staying at our place for a modest fee while we're gone." Sadly, it has drifted from that premise in many places. As with any unmonitored transactions, the owner takes as much of a risk as the renter. My kid used Air B&B when he went to a conference in Edmonton earlier this year. Apart from some confusion about where the house key was actually located, he found it pleasant.

·
Premium Member
8,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Should I assume this is the RCMP HQ in Vanier, just across the highway from the train station? Will you have a vehicle? My invitation is offered in good faith, but note that we are on the complete other side of the city from that particular location. Right near Lee Valley Tools HQ and IKEA, but far from the RCMP.

The problem with Air B&B is often not what they are, but rather what they are not, and that is affordable rental housing for folks who can't afford to buy a house. To much affordable rental housing has been bought up by folks who leverage them into essentially unlicensed hotel suites. They put in some basic furniture, and rent it out. a night at a time. But they don't live there. The original idea behind Air B&B was that someone had a spare bedroom, or "Well, we're going to be on holiday for 3 weeks, so maybe someone would be interested in staying at our place for a modest fee while we're gone." Sadly, it has drifted from that premise in many places. As with any unmonitored transactions, the owner takes as much of a risk as the renter. My kid used Air B&B when he went to a conference in Edmonton earlier this year. Apart from some confusion about where the house key was actually located, he found it pleasant.
Yep, not my cup of tea.

That's right. Typically, they try to keep me downtown to enjoy the city, but it's 100% booked. So, I'll be driving in from there and then parking in the city.

I'll have my truck, so I can get around pretty easy.

1 - 20 of 127 Posts