The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In a foolish attempt to rub out a very small dent in my new Seagull guitar, I inadvertantly dug my thumbnail into the cedar top. Anything I did to try to make it better, made it worse after that.
Other than just "getting over it", does anyone have any suggestions on what could be done with the wound. Only thing worse is the beating up I am giving myself over it.

·
Premium Member
11,063 Posts
War wound. Shit happens. I've seen worse. Sorry about your luck. Badge of honour. Better luck next time. It could have been worse. Fabricate a story about it. A blind man would be glad to see it. Write a blues song about it. There will be more so get over it. Laugh at yourself. First world problem. Cover it up with a bullet hole.

I suppose you could take it to a pro for repair, at least then you'd be contributing to the economy.

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
I wouldn't bother getting it repaired neither. The S6 Cedar tops are pretty soft. Here's my 2001 S6 Cedar. Mostly just from playing. My daughter put the first mark on it on the lower right when she was 3. 16 years ago. I was initially upset for maybe 2 seconds. Don't sweat it. Welcome to cedar tops. I guess I should wipe it down some lol. She just spent the weekend at an Acreage wedding reception. These can also be used for a great Etch a Sketch if you need to entertain kids. Or adults for that matter.

·
Premium Member
3,172 Posts
I did something similar and it also bugged me. I filled mine with a little drop of clear Varathane and carefully shaved it even. As others have said, there are lots of marks now so I could have left alone.
Oh ya. You got me with your thread title. I thought you actually saved a wounded Seagull and was going to give you a like.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
I once read about similar concern on a luthier's French website.
As the fibers of the wood seem broken, nothing could help.
If they were not, a water drop directly on the wound to inflate the wood could have helped, but would not have cured.

So, the best you can do is love it, play it and hopefully write a song about this little nightmare.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I did something similar and it also bugged me. I filled mine with a little drop of clear Varathane and carefully shaved it even. As others have said, there are lots of marks now so I could have left alone.
Oh ya. You got me with your thread title. I thought you actually saved a wounded Seagull and was going to give you a like.
Actually, I used to be involved with aviation and anyone that loves to fly, Jonathan Livingston Seagull was a popular book. Maybe subconsciously, that is one of the reasons the Seagull guitar appealed to me.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Clear nail polish.
I was thinking that might help. Others have suggested filling in tiny bit of crazy glue. I'm rather afraid that either might cause the area to be even more noticeable.

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
Yeah, a tiny little bit of CA may give you some comfort. But don't fill the gap with it... You do not want to be trying to sand anything as the surrounding wood is so delicate. You might better try to look for a semi-gloss nail polish and apply a couple thin coats.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah, a tiny little bit of CA may give you some comfort. But don't fill the gap with it... You do not want to be trying to sand anything as the surrounding wood is so delicate. You might better try to look for a semi-gloss nail polish and apply a couple thin coats.
Glad you mentioned not to try sandpaper. I was entertaining the idea of getting the finest sandpaper that I could find and delicately try to smooth the area. But, sounds like that it probably would not be a good idea. Thanks.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I managed to steam much of the dents away. There is still a tiny hole and about a nickel size area that the satin finish has dulled around. Is there anything that will restore that dulled area?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts