The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

Would you go on the cruise around the world?

• Yeaaah

Votes: 6 35.3%
  • Naaaah

Votes: 7 41.2%
  • Get a boutique handwired class A amp with NOS t00bz and NOS tolex and vintage BUMBLEBEE capicitors.

Votes: 4 23.5%
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw an ad today in the paper, for roughly 27,000$ you can go on a cruise for over 107 days, and travel to a huge list of cities around the world.

Would you go? and why?

And what would you take with you to keep your guitarist appetite on check...:rockon:

·
Registered
485 Posts
Well, this one's easy for me. I play acoustic guitar only so the amp holds little appeal for me. A cruise? Hell yeah! Does it stop in Margaritaville? I don't even need the huge list of cities..... just drop me off in Margaritaville with my simple little acoustic guitar and I'm a happy gal! :smile: :banana: :food-smiley-004:

·
Premium Member
2,968 Posts
Scott is the cruise guy and can answer all your questions on cruises. He is Dr. Cruise. I think they appeal more to people who are more settled in their carreers and can afford to blow large amounts of money on travel. Of course you cant be a land lubber either............

·
Registered
737 Posts
Not me, I have no desire to travel by boat. For $27K, I could get a used handicap schoolbus, (for the lift), and travel with the band across Canada playing 'House of The Rising Sun' in all the little towns. I want to see my country before I venture off to foreign lands.

Mich

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
I've never been much of a traveller. I had to do a fair bit for business training some years ago but not much for pleasure.

So I was interested in the amp! Just for parts, you understand! I've built all kinds of Class A amps over the years. Never got anywhere near $27K for one, thought! Shades of Dumble or Trainwreck!

What made me smile was again seeing a reference to BumbleBee caps! I don't know where the mojo hype about these caps has come from, or who is trying to hype them.

All I know is that there were two kinds. The oldest and most rare were paper in oil caps. You can buy paper in oil caps today, brand new and not all dried up inside so they don't work very well. Most of them we find today in old equipment were just crappy old mylar caps. You can find brand new mylar caps in dumpsters!

Meanwhile, I have a serviceman's advisory in my files somewhere for those who were repairing radios back in the early fifties. It specifically cautions the serviceman to rip out any BumbleBees he finds, as they are really, REALLY prone to failure!:smile:

Maybe I would take the cruise after all, if it were that cruise ship run by the BareNaked Ladies!:eek:

:food-smiley-004:

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Not me, I have no desire to travel by boat. For $27K, I could get a used handicap schoolbus, (for the lift), and travel with the band across Canada playing 'House of The Rising Sun' in all the little towns. I want to see my country before I venture off to foreign lands.

Mich
Hey Michelle, you should have tried to hook up with Jack white this summer!!!

·
Registered
737 Posts
Hey Michelle, you should have tried to hook up with Jack white this summer!!!
I wish I would have thought of that Starbuck, they could use a bass player, I'll send him an e-mail about next year. I like Jack, he reminds me of Cp. Jack Sparrow. :smile:

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
No Kidding, I'm not a big fan, but I love that they did what they did! Heck they played the Savoy Theater in Glace Bay NS!!!

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've never been much of a traveller. I had to do a fair bit for business training some years ago but not much for pleasure.

So I was interested in the amp! Just for parts, you understand! I've built all kinds of Class A amps over the years. Never got anywhere near $27K for one, thought! Shades of Dumble or Trainwreck!

What made me smile was again seeing a reference to BumbleBee caps! I don't know where the mojo hype about these caps has come from, or who is trying to hype them.

All I know is that there were two kinds. The oldest and most rare were paper in oil caps. You can buy paper in oil caps today, brand new and not all dried up inside so they don't work very well. Most of them we find today in old equipment were just crappy old mylar caps. You can find brand new mylar caps in dumpsters!

Meanwhile, I have a serviceman's advisory in my files somewhere for those who were repairing radios back in the early fifties. It specifically cautions the serviceman to rip out any BumbleBees he finds, as they are really, REALLY prone to failure!:smile:

Maybe I would take the cruise after all, if it were that cruise ship run by the BareNaked Ladies!:eek:

:food-smiley-004:

wow...I thought those bumblebee caps were like the top of the line haha...the the gear page they are very hyped up.

Thanks for the great info Bill. :smile:

·
Registered
526 Posts
I would go on an around the world trip, but it wouldn't be a cruise.

when I'm travelling I couldn't care less about my guitars. there's too much to do and see.

·
Premium Member
11,096 Posts
Not a snowball's chance would I do it for that amount of coin! For a fraction of that one could get down and dirty with the locals, travelling by foot, bike, rental, and cheap fares.

27 grand buys alot of amp too. All I really need is a decent small wattage tube amp (I like the Traynor), and maybe an extra cab or two for the other rigs.

I'd take the cruise if I could play rockin' blues every night and be paid for it, with the Double Trouble rhythm section.

Peace, Mooh.

·
Administrator
15,823 Posts
Not a snowball's chance would I do it for that amount of coin! For a fraction of that one could get down and dirty with the locals, travelling by foot, bike, rental, and cheap fares.

27 grand buys alot of amp too. All I really need is a decent small wattage tube amp (I like the Traynor), and maybe an extra cab or two for the other rigs.

I'd take the cruise if I could play rockin' blues every night and be paid for it, with the Double Trouble rhythm section.

Peace, Mooh.
You would have to do the calculations. Don't forget that the 27k includes accomodations and all meals, not to mention all transportation to all these different ports. I would venture to say that you could never do that trip by land for 27k, unless you slept on the ground and ate berries off the local trees.

·
Premium Member
11,096 Posts
Well, naturally I disagree. Besides, many of the places a cruise ship stops wouldn't be my choices of places to visit. YMMV.

Peace, Mooh.

·
Administrator
15,823 Posts
Not a chance. I've travelled extensively all over the world for much cheaper than that. Granted, I'm not staying in 5 star hotels, but travel does not have to be expensive if you don't want it to be. I've done expensive travel too, and to be totally honest, I prefer the cheaper route. If you just want to relax and see a few sights, spending serious coin is maybe a good idea, but if you really want to experience another culture, you should go on the cheap.
Then you cannot compare the two trips. That 27k is including a nice room, steak and lobster dinners, huge menus, desserts galore. Entertainment nightly from 3-4 lounges and huge elaborate stage shows. So it's not just travel. That cruise would be the same as staying in the best hotels and eating at top notch eateries.

Traveling around the world in a nap sack is not a fair comparison. I am in no way advocating the 27k price. it's huge no matter which way you slice it and I could never afford it. But when you figure in what you are getting, it's really not that crazy, for one that can afford it and have the time to do it.

·
Administrator
15,823 Posts
Well, naturally I disagree. Besides, many of the places a cruise ship stops wouldn't be my choices of places to visit. YMMV.

Peace, Mooh.
Not sure about that bro, I would dig stopping at a few of these ports. This is not the cruise we are chatting about, a shorter one.

New York, New York Depart 5:00 pm
Fort Lauderdale, Florida 7:00 am - 5:00 pm
Bridgetown, Barbados 8:00 am - 6:00 pm
Salvador da Bahia, Brazil 8:00 am - 6:00 pm
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil 7:00 am - 11:00 pm
Montevideo, Uruguay Arrive 8:00 am
Port Stanley, Falkland Islands 8:00 am - 6:00 pm
Cruising Cape Horn
Punta Arenas, Chile 8:00 am - 6:00 pm
Santiago (Valparaiso), Chile 7:00 am - 7:00 pm
Easter Island, Chile 7:00 am - 6:00 pm
Papeete, Tahiti, French Polynesia 8:00 am - 6:00 pm
Nuku'alofa, Tonga 8:00 am - 6:0
Auckland, New Zealand 8:00 am - 10:00 pm
Sydney, Australia Arrive 7:00 am
Hobart, Tasmania, Australia 8:00 am - 6:00 pm
Melbourne, Australia 7:00 am - 11:59 pm
Adelaide, Australia 7:00 am - 5:00 pm
Albany, Australia 8:00 am - 5:00 pm
Fremantle (Perth), Australia 8:00 am - 6:00 pm
Singapore 7:00 am - 6:00 pm
Ho Chi Minh City (Vung Tau), Vietnam 7:00 am - 7:00 pm
Hong Kong 8:00 am - 6:00 pm
Shanghai, China 7:00 am - 7:00 pm
Osaka (for Kyoto), Japan 7:00 am - 6:00 pm
Honolulu, Oahu, Hawaii Arrive 8:00 am
Lahaina, Maui, Hawaii 8:00 am - 6:00 pm
Los Angeles, California 7:00 am - 5:00 pm
Acapulco, Mexico 7:00 am - 5:00 pm
Cristobal, Panama 4:00 pm - 8:00 pm
Puerto Moin, Costa Rica 7:00 am - 7:00 pm
Montego Bay, Jamaica 8:00 am - 5:00 pm
Fort Lauderdale, Florida 7:00 am - 5:00 pm
New York, New York Disembark

I

·
0 Posts
That 27k is including a nice room, steak and lobster dinners, huge menus, desserts galore. Entertainment nightly from 3-4 lounges and huge elaborate stage shows. So it's not just travel. That cruise would be the same as staying in the best hotels and eating at top notch eateries.
That's a bit generous. It's more like staying in the exact same room in the exact same 5 star hotel for 107 days. Eating from the same restaurants. Walking the same few km's of deck, the same grand rooms. Sure, there's port stops, but how long are the calls? 48 hours? And the time spent travelling in between? Is everyone on the same 107 day crew? Christ, what if it was all retired old 70+'s?!?! Augh! You'd be STUCK!

That's just too much money and too much time to fork over to one company.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts