The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,771 Posts
I have both; the 70's has a Cannabis Rex in it and the original tubes. They do sound different, the original sounding sweeter and warmer. Probably due to the spk and the vintage tubes.
Interesting - I have a Cannabis Rex and an 8 ohm Vintage 30 I've been meaning to try out in the YGM-3. I didn't like the amp into a Vintage 30 1x12 but have heard a few people recommend it so perhaps it will sound better internal (amp is a larger closed back).

·
Premium Member
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Yes, my understanding is that they went back to all the original suppliers (transformers, grill cloth, etc.) and had them make the parts from the original specs so they are the same amps just produced decades later.

If $650 is a decent price for a reissue the only decision is whether to go vintage (nice to have something old, might increase in value, but might need more work sooner) or modern (not likely to increase in value, probably more reliable, unlikely to need work for a while).
Interesting - I have a Cannabis Rex and an 8 ohm Vintage 30 I've been meaning to try out in the YGM-3. I didn't like the amp into a Vintage 30 1x12 but have heard a few people recommend it so perhaps it will sound better internal (amp is a larger closed back).
I have it with the Can Rex in the closed back: sounds great, others prefer removing the panel as well!

·
Registered
10,702 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,037 Posts
I've not been fortunate enough to own a 60's or 70's Traynor tube amp
I did trade my '86 Bloc 100 in on a YCV40 in 2002 and the YCV40 is a keeper.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Old Traynor amps are indestructible, unless they are grossly neglected, and very easily repaired.

They are basic "universal" parts that should always exist.

Boutique amps, without naming a particular model, can be just as good or not at all. The question is too vague.

·
Registered
10,702 Posts
I ended up buying the YGM-3 reissue I mentioned, for $650.

I realize that I overpaid a bit, but I am OK with that. What I paid is on the high side of L&M's average price plus taxes, but the amp is dead mint (it even still had the cardboard insert thingy on top of the amp). It was dusty and needed a good cleaning, but after that was done I fired it up and couldn't be happier with it. The amp is exactly what I wanted - a well built amp that sounds good and is simple to operate (I am really coming to appreciate simplicity so like the minimal controls on this amp). Being a reissue there shouldn't be any issues that require service for quite a while, and in the meantime I've got an amp that cost less than a Deluxe Reverb reissue but is better built. In the end, I got a hand wired tube amp for $650. I consider that a fair price.

The only problem is that this amp being a clean machine is going to send me down an overdrive/distortion pedal rabbit hole from which I might never escape!

·
Premium Member
2,503 Posts
I ended up buying the YGM-3 reissue I mentioned, for $650.

I realize that I overpaid a bit, but I am OK with that. What I paid is on the high side of L&M's average price plus taxes, but the amp is dead mint (it even still had the cardboard insert thingy on top of the amp). It was dusty and needed a good cleaning, but after that was done I fired it up and couldn't be happier with it. The amp is exactly what I wanted - a well built amp that sounds good and is simple to operate (I am really coming to appreciate simplicity so like the minimal controls on this amp). Being a reissue there shouldn't be any issues that require service for quite a while, and in the meantime I've got an amp that cost less than a Deluxe Reverb reissue but is better built. In the end, I got a hand wired tube amp for $650. I consider that a fair price.

The only problem is that this amp being a clean machine is going to send me down an overdrive/distortion pedal rabbit hole from which I might never escape!
I don't think $650 is too much at all. They were well over $1000 when new, and for years now the used prices go maybe as low as $500 once in a while but usually under $750. I got an original YGM3 about a year back, I need to get new tubes and recap it, change the speaker and get rid of the mold smell. You don't!

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
I wouldn't go so far as to say that the Traynor YBA-1 reissue is as good as the original.
I would have to see the circuit and the parts used.

Colchard, would you please take your amp apart and show us some pictures?
I know ( some ) specs look great.
But there is a lot of important information missing.
___
Google ;
What does reissue mean?

intransitive verb. : to come forth again. transitive verb. : to issue again especially : to cause to become available again.
_

·
Premium Member
2,503 Posts
I wouldn't go so far as to say that the Traynor YBA-1 reissue is as good as the original.
I would have to see the circuit and the parts used.

Colchard, would you please take your amp apart and show us some pictures?
I know ( some ) specs look great.
But there is a lot of important information missing.
___
Google ;
What does reissue mean?

intransitive verb. : to come forth again. transitive verb. : to issue again especially : to cause to become available again.
_

The YGM3 reissue is built almost exactly like the original, hard wired with no circuit boards, sockets are mounted on the metal chassis not on a pc board. It uses a tag board layout like the original. The circuit is nearly identical except for modern things like 3 prong plugs etc.
The service manual and circuit are on the Traynor website, or were a few years back.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
The YGM3 reissue is built almost exactly like the original, hard wired with no circuit boards, sockets are mounted on the metal chassis not on a pc board. It uses a tag board layout like the original. The circuit is nearly identical except for modern things like 3 prong plugs etc.
The service manual and circuit are on the Traynor website, or were a few years back.

Service manual can perhaps reassure some buyer but as far as I am concerned too much information is missing for me to be convinced.
The service manual show only sketch not photos
Only many good pictures of the circuit will tell.

·
Premium Member
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Circuit component Electronic instrument Audio equipment Electricity Computer hardware

The guts of a YGM-3 Reissue
Audio equipment Electrical wiring Gas Electronic engineering Machine

Rear view YGM-3 Ri. Head conversion, sitting on top of a vintage Guitar Mate...

·
Registered
10,702 Posts
Congrats @colchar you made the right choice if it makes you happy!

Check this video, then go find a Digitech for $40.

Ha, I actually already have a Blues Driver. I also have a Digitech Bad Monkey, an MXR Dynacomp compressor, and a Boss GT-100 multieffects unit.

·
Premium Member
2,503 Posts
Very poor wiring job, a rat nest.
Original one :

View attachment 379903
The big difference I see is the heater wiring not twisted on the reissue. Otherwise, it's about the same.
Why are you so intent on shitting on this amp so much? It's a closer "reissue" of the original YGM3 then the current Fender Twin or Deluxe Reverb reissues are of those amps.

·
Registered
5,601 Posts
It's a closer "reissue" of the original YGM3 then the current Fender Twin or Deluxe Reverb reissues are of those amps.
You should see inside the '68 Custom Deluxe. ;)

As far as the YGM3 re-ish, I was under the impression there was a limited run of 'hand wired' which were very much like the original, then another more run of the mill modern take re-ish, more like a Fender re-ish with PCB, etc. ?

21 - 40 of 54 Posts