The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Premium Member
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've recently noticed more and more people are searching for old Traynors and the prices of these amps are going up. The question of the day is, would you give up your YBA-1, YRM, YSR, YGM-3 or 4 for a new boutique amp like a Carr, Bad Cat, Dr. Z etc, at 3 or 4 times the price of that Traynor? Is the tone that much better from the bouteek amp? Or is it just hype and good old fashion marketing!

·
Registered
4,255 Posts
Plenty of mods available to change the sound and find the one you want from a Traynor.

Most boutique amp try to get the sound that these are capable of giving you from the get go.

Traynors are boutique amps, but from the 60s and 70s.

·
Premium Member
1,818 Posts
I sold my YBA-1 last year, so yes. I still have a YGM-3 Reissue. IMO old does not always equal good, nor does expensive always mean better. I would trade my Traynor for a Dr. Z Maz 18 Junior or a Mesa 5:25 just because I like what I've heard. Not out to impress anyone but me.

·
Registered
10,741 Posts
It would totally depend on the amp I was trading away and what I was getting in return. But I do consider many Traynors to be the equivalent of boutique amps.

Funnily enough, I am in the middle of searching out a Traynor as we speak. I am looking at vintage YGM-3s and YGM-4s. I can get one of those in the $450-$550 price range. I can also get a YGM-3 reissue for $650, I just need to figure out if that is a decent price (L&M seems to sell them for $400-$550 when they have them). If it is, then I need to decide whther to go vintage or new.

·
Registered
10,741 Posts
I've been told by those who know more than me that the reissue is essentially the same amp in the YGM-3. YMMV.

Yes, my understanding is that they went back to all the original suppliers (transformers, grill cloth, etc.) and had them make the parts from the original specs so they are the same amps just produced decades later.

If $650 is a decent price for a reissue the only decision is whether to go vintage (nice to have something old, might increase in value, but might need more work sooner) or modern (not likely to increase in value, probably more reliable, unlikely to need work for a while).

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
I have a '70s Traynor YF-10 I got off a member, and I love the tone. Original speakers and was sold here in London and even has the stenciled bar name on the back which is also an old London staple (if you liked icky). Trade it?? Possibly for the right offer. I've been downsizing and haven't decided this cabs fate.

·
Premium Member
304 Posts
I sold my YBA-1 last year, so yes. I still have a YGM-3 Reissue. IMO old does not always equal good, nor does expensive always mean better. I would trade my Traynor for a Dr. Z Max 18 Junior
Funny I had both the yba-1 and a Dr Z Maz 18, and another traynor yba-2 at the same time. And decided to sell the maz in the end. Also, the guy that sold me the maz originally, said the only tube amp he was keeping was his YBA-1.

That being said, times change and gear hounds will remain gear hounds, and id likely trade one of my traynors for another boutique amp just for variety's sake. In the end if more money is coming your way, you can always buy another traynor later

·
Premium Member
1,818 Posts
If $650 is a decent price for a reissue the only decision is whether to go vintage (nice to have something old, might increase in value, but might need more work sooner) or modern (not likely to increase in value, probably more reliable, unlikely to need work for a while).
I picked up my reissue at a pawn shop for $460. I think $550 would be a more reasonable price considering what the vintage ones are selling for, but some folks might appreciate the "newerness" of the reissue.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Many years ago, when I had my YGL-3, I thought that was it and that other amps couldn't possibly be that much better than vintage Traynors. Well, "better" is relative. When my needs and tastes evolved, I did find other amps to be better for me.

I think if I had a lot more space, I would have kept either the YGL-3 or YRM-1. They do sound glorious when you can open them up a bit. They have a huge, unique sound. I think the key is to enjoy them for what they offer rather than compare them to other amps.

·
Premium Member
3,884 Posts
I just dropped off a YGM-4, and a YGM-3RI, and a rare Garnet SessionMaster for consignment.

The YGM-4 was gone the same day for considerably more than I think it was worth.

The YGM-3 is apparently not as "valuable" because it is a Re-Issue. I have owned both the vintage YGM-3 and the RI, and I prefer the RI. It really is "new & improved" IMO.

The same guy who bought the YGM-4 wants the SessionMaster, but doesn't want to pay for the re-build that Mark Stephenson did on it. He is a collector, not a player. I will get top dollar or keep it.

They are ALL for sale because as decent as they are, they all fall short of my Stephenson Standard with FV-1 cab & AllTone speaker. So, to answer the OP, my "boutique" build kills everything vintage.

I don't know about other people's fancy-ass amps, but the Stephenson is no one-trick pony with it's tube-switching, transformer-switching and impedance-switching capabilities. It's like having six different amps, all better than their vintage counterparts. Single-ended, push/pull, ultralinear, 6v6, 6l6, el34, all other octals, plus an el84 to switch in or out for that perfect "edge of breakup" we all love, Power Scaling. Is there anything like it on the market? And Canadian-made. The price has doubled since I bought it.

Wow. I can't stop talking about it. YES, way better than vintage!

·
Registered
10,741 Posts
I just dropped off a YGM-4, and a YGM-3RI, and a rare Garnet SessionMaster for consignment.

The YGM-4 was gone the same day for considerably more than I think it was worth.

The YGM-3 is apparently not as "valuable" because it is a Re-Issue. I have owned both the vintage YGM-3 and the RI, and I prefer the RI. It really is "new & improved" IMO.
Where did you put them on consignment?

·
Registered
10,741 Posts
I picked up my reissue at a pawn shop for $460. I think $550 would be a more reasonable price considering what the vintage ones are selling for, but some folks might appreciate the "newerness" of the reissue.

Long and McQuade sells them from $450 up to $950 (June of this year) with the majority being sold in the $450-$600 range (I literally just left there and had a friend who works there look up their pricing for me). The one I am looking at for $650 works out to be $575+taxes.

·
Premium Member
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I've been told by those who know more than me that the reissue is essentially the same amp in the YGM-3. YMMV.
I have both; the 70's has a Cannabis Rex in it and the original tubes. They do sound different, the original sounding sweeter and warmer. Probably due to the spk and the vintage tubes.
Gut pic of the RI:
Circuit component Electronic instrument Audio equipment Electricity Computer hardware

The same guy who bought the YGM-4 wants the SessionMaster, but doesn't want to pay for the re-build that Mark Stephenson did on it. He is a collector, not a player. I will get top dollar or keep it.

They are ALL for sale because as decent as they are, they all fall short of my Stephenson Standard with FV-1 cab & AllTone speaker. So, to answer the OP, my "boutique" build kills everything vintage.

I don't know about other people's fancy-ass amps, but the Stephenson is no one-trick pony with it's tube-switching, transformer-switching and impedance-switching capabilities. It's like having six different amps, all better than their vintage counterparts. Single-ended, push/pull, ultralinear, 6v6, 6l6, el34, all other octals, plus an el84 to switch in or out for that perfect "edge of breakup" we all love, Power Scaling. Is there anything like it on the market? And Canadian-made. The price has doubled since I bought it.

Wow. I can't stop talking about it. YES, way better than vintage!
I'll agree about the Stephenson. I have a Deluxe 30, which comes with 2 EL84's and will take any octal tube. I was lucky and got a box of vintage tubes from the previous owner. Currently running it with 2 KT66 along with the EL84's. Tones galore out of this amp.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts