The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
26,678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Incredibly artificial scenario, I know, but what they hey.

Would you rather:

a) Be a lead guitarist with a solid rhythm player behind you, regardless of your own level of skill?

OR

b) Be a rhythm player behind a really good lead player?

I'm assuming this is within the context of a minimum 4-piece band. No power trios allowed.

·
Occasional CEO
My Superstrat
1,989 Posts
The latter for sure... When people play well, I can listen to them for hours. I can only handle my own lead playing for so long before it feels stale.

·
Premium Member
4,664 Posts
Tough question Mark. In the classic country trio i play in, the signer is a solid acoustic player and really fills up all the holes while i noodle around. Having said that, i have had the extreme pleasure of tagging along on rythm with some Ottawa's best pickers and found it very fulfilling. My other pop rock band i play in, i am the only guitarist so get to do it all.

·
Premium Member
11,689 Posts
Tough question.

In my last cover band, the singer/bandleader played rhythm but still depended on me to carry most of the rhythm and all the lead chores (except when the lead was played by the keys or blues harp player when we had either. In reality, I think of the rhythm and lead as being combined as that's most of my experience. The secret is knowing where to economize.

If I had to choose from the stated choices, I guess I'd be the solid rhythm player like I am in my fiddle/guitar duo where I play a zillion chords and rhythms behind the stellar melody player. My job is way more fun than either having to memorize or read melodies at the speed of light. We could easily add two more pieces (say any of vocals, drums, keys, and bass for example) without affecting my role very much.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
I've been in the 'B' category- primarily playing rhythm behind a stellar lead player and I loved it. Playing with superior musicians is always a pleasure and a great way to learn and build your own skills.

·
Premium Member
5,219 Posts
I kind of like the situation where both guitarists are playing leads (EG the Stones guitar interplay) and a lead guitarist would be playing solos. I love writing leads and melodies, especially that have 2 guitar parts. But I'd be fine not soloing.

·
Premium Member
19,068 Posts
I've never thought of it as a Rhythm and Lead guitarist. In my view, you're either a guitarist or not.

I like a role where someone does the bulk of the heavy lifting and I get to toss in fills and leads.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
At my weekly lesson last night my instructor had me playing a lick over and over again but wanted me to try to alter my phrasing every time through the lick. While I was doing that he started playing chord progressions to try to put the lick into context and highlight different tones at different times...it was awesome! Doing something like that really drives home how important rhythm can be because it felt like he was playing "lead" with his choice of chords.

This stuff just blows my mind sometimes!

Anyway, to answer the question, I'd be more than happy to be a solid rhythm player behind a shit hot lead player...let him get all the girls...I'm happily married and can't afford a divorce.

·
Premium Member
19,068 Posts
One of my guitar heroes is Steve Cropper; primarily rhythm, with fills here and there that "complete" songs.
I met the Colonel in the Nashville airport around 2015. I have a picture somewhere.

He was very gracious and seemed to appreciate my condolences on the loss of his buddy Donald Duck Dunn.

The funny thing was, I was sitting in first class and he was in coach. A flight attendant stopped to tell me there was some " rock celebrity" on board and asked if it was me.

Face palm moment.

Edit: Turns out it was 2012. See below

1 - 20 of 38 Posts