The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
5,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I came across this guy on another forum thats considering the purchase of a 63 Telecaster for 10k US (13K Canadian)
As far as vintage prices go its actually a really decent price. But for me I still think these vintage pieces aren't worth it. The custom shop puts out some great guitars that equal and sometimes surpass these vintage guitars.
I've played many 50's and 60's telecasters and strats and have owned a 62, 67 and a couple early 70's Telecasters. I've owned many custom shop guitars that I think were better guitars. And much less expensive.
I've read so many posts about how people just don't understand the "relic guitar" market and I think that these stupid "30k" for a vintage guitar legitimizes it. Many people want a guitar that looks like these vintage guitars and the custom shop you get it.
I'm not a collector so I guess that makes a difference in my thought process. I simply play them and based on playability and feel you can find a custom shop Fender that equals and\or surpasses the vintage guitars.
From an investment point of view I think a vintage guitar is about the worst strategy.
Having said that, if I won a lottery for millions I think I'd add a few vintage pieces, but then I'd all of a sudden be a collector. If the vintage market suddenly bottomed out and it paralleled the prices of the custom shop I think I'd still choose the custom shop guitar.

Fair price for 1963 telecaster?

·
Registered
5,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would be more likely to shell out for a vintage amp than guitar.
Vintage amps generally can be more affordable. I'm still of the mind that small builder amps can be as good and sometimes better. Of course some of these amps can be as expensive as most vintage amps.

·
Premium Member
64 Gretsch 6120, 65 Fender Tremolux and a 58 Supro 1624T
3,114 Posts
I buy vintage gear when I come across it at yard sales or whatever because I think it neat to imagine the history. But I have a price comfort zone for what I'm buying to play. My whole rig isn't worth 10k

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
I've considered buying an old J45 but I can't break down and do it because I haven't had the opportunity to have it in my hands each time. Pair that with my experience with a lot of vintage guitars seem to be rarely a hit and mostly a miss. I think I prefer player grade like my old Southern Jumbo, not minty by any means but sounds and plays great at a fair price.

·
Premium Member
1,760 Posts
I love vintage Gibson acoustics so might shell out for one of those. Totally agree with you on Fenders....the custom shop stuff is great so I really have no desire to go vintage.

·
Registered
5,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I love vintage Gibson acoustics so might shell out for one of those. Totally agree with you on Fenders....the custom shop stuff is great so I really have no desire to go vintage.
Yeah when it comes to acoustic guitars my experience is a lot different than electric. As much as my custom shop tele is better than most vintage and equal to some of the best the same can't be said for my authentic series Martin compared to vintage. I've had a chance to compare my 41 authentic to a real 41 and the real 41 just had the something extra in every aspect. I've played some 30's D-28's that simply floored me. Still for what they cost it would only happen if I were to suddenly come in to millions.
I've had many players grade vintage acoustics in my hands and the problem with those is there are many potential issues, exclusive to acoustics, that you may have to deal with that will increase the cost of ownership. Loose braces, cracks, neck resets, etc.

·
Registered
5,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
When I can afford to, I'll buy vintage player grade and play the hell out them. I like the history of them.
I'd agree with this if the guitar came with a verified document of the complete history. Otherwise its just a beat up guitar that was made in "X" year. And thats usually about all you know. I have a guitar that I bought this year that was made in 2007. It quite possibly could have had some interesting history in its 11 years. But I don't know it. I do know its one of the best guitars I've ever owned, vintage or otherwise.
I've heard the history argument from players running down the relic issue. How they love the history of the real thing. Now if it had belonged to their grandpappy, I'd understand.

·
Premium Member
1,353 Posts
No, not likely. Even if I had more money than brains.

My new trend is going back to my roots. By this I mean actual guitars that I have already owned since the '70's and '80's.

Sure there are a few newer ones that will likely stay for now, but the rest can be passed on to others.

Rediscovering the originals has always been a source of serious head shaking reality that makes me wonder what else I really needed to look for. Education through ownership and trials has been interesting, but it is time to get back to what just works for me.

My oldest is a '68 player grade with all original parts. Anything new that crosses my path will have to be 25% of current asking prices or so to make me buy more vintage. I actually like the modern neck profiles that are being offered today.

·
Premium Member
5,111 Posts
I generally deal hunt and buy player grade stuff as far as guitars. If I were to splurge a bit on a guitar, I think I'd just have something built. Especially since I like teles, there's a ton of options out there. I could get exactly what I want for a fraction of vintage costs.

I have had the pleasure of owning several vintage amps. There's more affordable options out there amp wise, especially if you don't care about cosmetic condition or modifications like cabs and speakers. Which I don't.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Some guitars are worth it, most are not.

Some vintage guitars have terrible, expensive problems.

I have a hard time imagining taking an expensive guitar out of the house.

Only fools fall in love.

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
I own a few vintage guitars, they're all players. I have no interest in owning something I can't gig. There is some cache playing something that isn't made anymore. My '66 SG custom tends to turn heads. My '70 Gibson dreadnought needs a neck reset, with all that entails. It sounds great but is becoming unplayable. My '11 j-45 has taken its place and I don't care how old it is.

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
Depends. I wouldn't want to spend large on a guitar I wouldn't be comfortable taking to gigs, but I definitely get the vintage appeal. I'll probably spring for an older J45 and a real 72 Tele Custom some day. I don't think I'll ever have the kind of cash to pursue a vintage Les Paul!

Ditto on amps. Right now I'm using digital modellers, but I'd love to have a vintage DR or Twin at home as well as a big Marshall one day.

·
Premium Member
16,830 Posts
I have a hard time imagining taking an expensive guitar out of the house.
It's easy!

You just put it in the case, take the case outside and go to your destination.

This how I used a 1/100 prs artist series to teach lessons and play the only gigs my last band had.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts