The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend decided in a fit of creativity some 8 years back to do a Jaco Pastorius on his Godin SD and took the frets out & filled them. I brought it into a shop (in Brantford) and their go-to luthier says it’s going to be $350 & tax to get it right again.

Used SD’s are around $250 so I don’t want to go sinking good money after bad, but I’m wondering if there’s any way to salvage this? It’s probably better than my own Squire strat but I could buy a new Epiphone or the likes for the cost to repair. Doesn’t seem to be much of a market for second-hand necks for the SD out there (I understand tis discontinued).

Oh great sages of guitar, what would you do? Just throw it away?

Edit: can't put in the picture but just showed the filled in frets with wood filler

·
Premium Member
2,678 Posts
Learn to put frets in it? Not that I’ve done this but it couldn’t hurt to try. Cut slots, press them in, spend lots of time filing and trimming the ends. Lots of YouTube videos on it.

What’s the scale length? If it’s 25.5 maybe a cheap squire neck would fit, with some minor mods?

Or learn to play fretless...

·
Premium Member
1,384 Posts
I would think that for much less than $350, you could buy a replacement warmoth neck or buy a used guitar for the neck. That's what I would be looking into.​
A warmoth neck will be $250 ish us plus shipping plus brokerage fees plus whatever random thing they charge you with at the boarder.
I wouldn’t count on getting one for less than 350.

Warmoth makes great necks but it’s prob cheaper to fix the one you have.

Nathan

1 - 5 of 5 Posts