The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,566 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is anyone watching the World Cup?
This thread is for @vadsy ...and all other soccer (football) fans in the GC forum.

I don't follow soccer or watch it on TV on a regular basis. However, of all the sports televised, the occasional game of World Cup soccer is one of my favourite to watch.

What are "your" predictions for the winner of World Cup 2018?

·
Premium Member
2,222 Posts
Hard to say, pre tournament I would have said Germany, Brazil, Spain, France in that order, but the initial games were pretty surprising. Other than France they all struggled a bit in the first game. Germany and Brazil looked a bit slow to me. Maybe adjusting, we'll see.

I'm pulling for Iceland.

·
Premium Member
2,222 Posts
Iceland has a great defensive team, but they are underdogs for sure. I think the current odds are about 200/1. I enjoy watching Poland, good team.

·
Premium Member
2,469 Posts
I cheer for Mexico (we lived there for many years and our daughter was born there).

The tournament has had a very strange start, so far. I'm dead last in my office pool as many of the favourites are underperforming. Brazil looked ok in the first half, then they were flat in the second. Argentina is out of ideas when the opponent surrounds Messi with four defenders. The rest of the team seems incapable of doing anything without him. Germany looked slow against Mexico and I think Spain was somewhat unlucky to lose to Portugal (full marks to Ronaldo for taking his chances, but in another game, he probably only scores one). I still think Spain will make more noise.

·
Premium Member
8,511 Posts
Well, this is the first time I can remember Egypt being in the WC. this is the first time I've actually got a team to root for....and I got a jersey for father's day.

My dream would be for Egypt to beat England, so I can mention it constantly to my in-laws. If they do play, I'm planning to cover myself in Egyptian gear - headband,, sweatband, jersey, tear-aways, and a onesy.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Well, this is the first time I can remember Egypt being in the WC. this is the first time I've actually got a team to root for....and I got a jersey for father's day.

My dream would be for Egypt to beat England, so I can mention it constantly to my in-laws. If they do play, I'm planning to cover myself in Egyptian gear - headband,, sweatband, jersey, tear-aways, and a onesy.
If they lose, you will unfortunately be in a state of deNile! Go England! I miss cheering against the USA however.

·
Premium Member
2,469 Posts
I am dead last in the pool. I don't think I've ever had such a tough time predicting matches in a World Cup. This is great for entertainment, but bad for my chances of winning.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts