The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a ton of 4ft florescent fixtures in my garage/work shop that need updating. After a year of watching a crew of electricians replace all the florescent fixtures in an office complex, thousands of them, I began looking for a better/less wasteful alternative.
Amazon to the rescue! T8 size LED light tubes that can replace the florescent tubes after removing the ballast.
About $9 a bulb. Way cheaper that replacing the whole fixture. I got the bright white frosted tubes. Did the first fixture conversion this morning. Very happy with it.

Has anybody messed with this stuff? Are they any negatives to this method?

·
Premium Member
3,217 Posts
As I understand it, the tubes will outlast the ballast, so when the ballast dies, you are going to have to replace the whole kit anyways. If your ballasts have some life left in them, it's probably a good way to go.

I recently replaced the (very old and dying) ballasts in my garage with these:
NOMA LED Double Strip Light, 4-ft | Canadian Tire

I'm pretty happy with them. Like everything at Canadian Tire, I waited until they were on sale.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
One thing I hate about the new office LED’s is the brightness. That may be a plus in a workshop. In my office space it’s like being at ground zero of a nuke blast before the shock wave hits. In one office we disabled half the lights after they were installed, in my current office we leave half of them turned off.

·
Premium Member
5,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
One thing I hate about the new office LED’s is the brightness. That may be a plus in a workshop. In my office space it’s like being at ground zero of a nuke blast before the shock wave hits. In one office we disabled half the lights after they were installed, in my current office we leave half of them turned off.
The project I was involved in, they were replacing 4 tube florescent fixtures in offices with single strip LED's. Even then it was very bright.

P

·
0 Posts
I have a ton of 4ft florescent fixtures in my garage/work shop that need updating. After a year of watching a crew of electricians replace all the florescent fixtures in an office complex, thousands of them, I began looking for a better/less wasteful alternative.
Amazon to the rescue! T8 size LED light tubes that can replace the florescent tubes after removing the ballast.
About $9 a bulb. Way cheaper that replacing the whole fixture. I got the bright white frosted tubes. Did the first fixture conversion this morning. Very happy with it.

Has anybody messed with this stuff? Are they any negatives to this method?
Factory Direct has/had the 4' led bulbs in a 2 pack for $12.

Edit: They don't have the coupon for them, they are $20 for 2. If you wait and watch they will come up again.

HONEYWELL PLUG & PLAY 18W LED TUBE LIGHT - 2PK

P

·
0 Posts
I'd be all over that........if we had those stores out west. :( Amazon was the best deal I could find on them.
They ship... Their website says free shipping on orders over $75.

You can sign up for their coupon emails, then ship to your home.

If I see them on sale I will let you know...

P

·
0 Posts
I'd be all over that........if we had those stores out west. :( Amazon was the best deal I could find on them.
Factory Direct has a coupon now 2 for $14.96, free shipping on orders over $75. I am not sure the link will show you the coupon.

HO3065 102218-102518 CRAZY COUPONS

coupon.JPG

Oh crap, one per customer. Forget it.

Or call their head office and work out a bulk deal. I bought 2 packs before for $12 each pack of 2.

·
Premium Member
3,155 Posts
LED's can be tricky, so be careful about what you buy.

The problem is their incomplete spectrum. This is what makes them so glaring to look at, while they illuminate so poorly. The better ones are more expensive. Research before committing.

I have them in the garage where they suffice for music studio use, but I would hate to do mechanical work by them. We also use them under the kitchen cabinets, and those do a good job of lighting up the counter. And my wife found an expensive solar/wind-up/USB flashlight when we were camping. It's great, but $150? Glad we found it laying on the ground.

·
Registered
24,368 Posts
I replaced the fluorescent fixtures in my office/bench area with a bunch of regular LED bulbs, changing the distribution of the illumination-source as well, so that things are more evenly spread out. There were ultra-cheap prices on the bulbs earlier in the year, so I bought a lot.

Note the difference between different spectral types. I'm using the "daylight" type, which are a much whiter and intense light. The other standard variety has a more yellowish hue than blue-ish. I prefer the daylight kind. Haven't regretted it. Hard enough to read some resistor colour bands accurately as it is. More daylight is better for me.

For gear testing purposes in a small-ish space, also nice not to have all the EMI being part of my guitar signal.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts