The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive been considering toying around with some different saddles for my old Yamaha acoustic.
I'm all set to order a new bridge and saddle from alparts but theyre shut down with all the flooding in texas right now.
I hope they make out okay.

So now I'm thinking of playing around with some stuff I have in the shop.

Anyone make one out of wood? I'm leaning towards rock maple or something hard enough that the strings wont dent it.

Maybe one out of brass/aluminum?
Not really sure now that would sound but changing the saddle is a pretty easy mod.

Nathan

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
I would think bone is still the best, wood will eventually wear down. I make my own, I get beef bone from the butcher, and leave is outside for a winter after letting my dog chew on it. Super easy to work with. If you give me some rough dimensions, I would be happy to send you a few blanks free of charge.

·
Premium Member
2,447 Posts
I've seen saddles made from rosewood or ebony on some guitars. I imagine it would sound different than bone. I played a J-50 with a rosewood saddle that sounded quite good, although I don't know what it would sound like with bone, obviously.

·
Premium Member
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would think bone is still the best, wood will eventually wear down. I make my own, I get beef bone from the butcher, and leave is outside for a winter after letting my dog chew on it. Super easy to work with. If you give me some rough dimensions, I would be happy to send you a few blanks free of charge.
Thanks but I'm okay for blanks.
My dogs have beef bones and I have a ton of corian (I saved the backsplash from an old counter top).

I was thinking that a brass one would make the guitar sound more like a resonator (the action is pretty high anyway).

I picked up an old Oahu with a rosewood nut and a cast aluminum bridge and it sounds fantastic.

Nathan

1 - 4 of 4 Posts