The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

A 15" lower bout Gibson inspired shape reso. Tarara/canary wood body, wrc top, chosen for colour only, adjustable cherry neck. Oxidized brass cover plate and peg head. Thanks to Zach (another Canadian luthier)from Treehouse Guitars for the tip on doing that. Should be an interesting comparison to my friend Jeremy Ward's 16" wood body biscuit bridge reso he recently completed in my shop. If you are wondering, biscuit bridge reso's are louder than spider bridge reso's, but the wood body has a mellower tone than metal body biscuit bridge guitars. IMHO anyway. Russ Parker

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Nathan. I built a brass body reso, and a wood body spider bridge some years ago. Also guided my friend Jeremy through his build. I posted pics of his reso on another forum. Plans for them are available from Rosophonic Outfitters. They have metal body plans, wood body, round or square neck plans with spider bridge. Since I'm building a biscuit bridge wood body, I used the metal body plans for the important measurements for the cone placement. You're welcome to come by and see it in person.. what kind of reso are you thinking about building? Russ

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Its only .125" or 3mm. Possibly you are looking at the marine mahogany cone support glued to the underside of the top. I must admit to being surprised at one thing. This guitar is posted on 2 other guitar forums and viewed almost 200 times and no one has mentioned the oxidized cover plate and peg head. I know it isn't for everyone, but it is quite different and I thought it would garner comments, good or bad . LOL

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
Its only .125" or 3mm. Possibly you are looking at the marine mahogany cone support glued to the underside of the top. I must admit to being surprised at one thing. This guitar is posted on 2 other guitar forums and viewed almost 200 times and no one has mentioned the oxidized cover plate and peg head. I know it isn't for everyone, but it is quite different and I thought it would garner comments, good or bad . LOL
I love it....but I build relics ….so a lot of people hate what I make lol

Shiny chrome is boring....aged hardware offers so much more visual interest.

Nathan

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

All done. Love the biscuit bridge, wood body sound. Warner than a metal body, possibly louder than a spider bridge wood body. True oil on the body and brass and Osmo oil wax on the neck. Gotoh 510 tuners in Cosmo black. A little insipation to practice slide again . LOL Russ

·
Premium Member
19,099 Posts
Russ...Congrats on another beautiful build!

When you are between builds and have some free time, would you please consider making a thread with some pics of the inside your shop? From these pics, it looks like the dream of every woodworker/luthier.

What are you planning for your next build ?

Thanks

Dave

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the kind words and interest in my guitars and shop Dave. I'd be happy to post some pics of my shop. I had to downsize it and most of the machines when I moved a year ago . However, it worked out well for me. Enough room to make guitars. Lol. As for my next build I'm still trying to decide that. To be honest, building guitars is one thing, selling guitars is another altogether, and I have a few new guitars, both steel string and nylon string for sale at the moment. Hard to decide what to build when you don't know what will sell. At an average price of $3000 Cdn, I don't think I am overpriced, but there it is. Lol. Russ Parker

1 - 13 of 13 Posts