The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Very glad I came across this site. No doubt will find lot's to learn here. Play lot's, lately I seem to be on more of a 20's 30's 40's blues kick(Skip James, Willie Brown, Billie Holiday for eg), as well as stuff like Kebmo but like most music and enjoy playing everything from that to something I heard on the radio last week.
When young I never knew anything about alternate tunings and it was Very difficult to learn many songs; some I just couldn't figure out.........now there's youtube, it's opened up the guitar playing possibilities world to me and I'm like a kid in a candy store.
I can fingerpick but lately have been trying to learn the alternating thumb base and it's most definitely going to take "me" some time. Working on Railroad Bill as well as When I lay my burden down(slide). Frustrating but it'll come....eventually.

·
Premium Member
17,620 Posts
Welcome to the GC Forum.

Seems like you are very busy with learning a lot of cool, new techniques, etc.

What guitar(s) do you have?

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
I'm quite a newbie too, but I can say you may feel at ease here.
Welcome !

·
Registered
14,936 Posts
Welcome

·
Registered
18,563 Posts
Welcome Bruce! Glad to have you on board.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Welcome...let me give you a hearty Bruuuuce! Have fun enjoying and participating in the different threads.

·
Registered
5,548 Posts
Very glad I came across this site. No doubt will find lot's to learn here. Play lot's, lately I seem to be on more of a 20's 30's 40's blues kick(Skip James, Willie Brown, Billie Holiday for eg), as well as stuff like Kebmo but like most music and enjoy playing everything from that to something I heard on the radio last week.
When young I never knew anything about alternate tunings and it was Very difficult to learn many songs; some I just couldn't figure out.........now there's youtube, it's opened up the guitar playing possibilities world to me and I'm like a kid in a candy store.
I can fingerpick but lately have been trying to learn the alternating thumb base and it's most definitely going to take "me" some time. Working on Railroad Bill as well as When I lay my burden down(slide). Frustrating but it'll come....eventually.
Welcome! I'm a country hybrid/finger picker by default, but lately I've been on a blues kick too. Mostly 50s-60s early electric blues stuff.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Ha ha, thanks for the warm welcome everyone. Currently in the process of moving, and it sucks, but 2 or 3 more loads from SE Ab to E Sk and will be done.
Kind of splurged over the last yr, had an old ovation pawn shop find for years(been keeping it in open g mostly), have a gretsch honeydipper(mostly open d or g), a tanglewood 12 string followed me home(solid honduran mahogany back/sides, spruce top; plays beautifully and rings forever it seems), like the 12 so much I picked up a tanglewood dreadnaught cutaway all mahogany for very very reasonable. It has a slightly wider nut width and I find it easier for fingerpicking than the ovation.
Also have a godin 5Ave archtop that I freed from a pawnshop a year or so ago, it lives in open d minor lately. Also have a yamaha 12 string the plays really, really nice. It's in open g and while, "bright" sounding to my taste I got it from a place that was closing at a super price and I just couldn't turn it down. Also have a fender squire that I really bought when trying to get wife interested, but no go. Very rarely play it right now but for 80 bucks incl. a little amp why would I sell it? It actually plays really nice.

Ya, I know, but I was killing strings changing back and forth, told wife this'll be cheaper than replacing strings every month. :)

To be honest I was kind of embarrased to list all my guitars but then I figured, well, it's my hobby and I like it. For decades I didn't sing because I didn't think I could, and you get to the age where you figure out it doesn't matter, plus after a couple yrs of singing, my singing isn't terrible (will never be great, but people don't cringe. ;) ) My harmonica playing's another story, it's hit and miss.

So anyway, there's my spread, I love every one of them and play all of them almost every day, well, except for the electric, it's been neglected lately.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts