The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've painted myself into a corner...

The Requirement:
I have a collection of music (1350 tunes) I've downloaded over years at a former workplace. They are on three CD's. I recently loaded them on to an old MacBook, since it's the only thing I have with a CD drive, and has ITunes (ver 4.0), for management. The MacBook can't be upgraded, as it has a CPU that is extinct. I wired the MacBook to playback thru my audio console. The problem is that of portability , and confines me to one room for listening, (or an open door and very loud volume), LOL.

The Solution(s): My wish was to be able to listen to my music anywhere in the house or backyard. I researched and bought an Avantree OASIS which extends Bluetooth to cover my requirement. So now I've got an old MacBook playing my tunes into a component stereo setup feeding an extended range Bluetooth transmitter. The next thing I need is a portable wireless speaker of some kind, so I researched the net and found a popular choice was a SONOS Play 1, so that's what I bought.

Uh-Oh, a Problem: After unpacking the SONOS, I discover that it isn't the dumb wireless satellite speaker I required, but is an entire system of portable music which requires a mobile phone for control. The final touch is that it isn't even a Bluetooth device at all - it uses some proprietary Wi-Fi protocol to go through your router.

Well, maybe there's hope: Once I installed the SONOS App on my android, and paired them, I got the SONOS to show some signs of other-usefulness. It can play music from sources other than my own (but not necessarily my choices).

The Kicker: My brief exposure to using the SONOS in a manner other than which I originally intended, is that any music that I might want to hear requires a subscription fee of about ten bucks a month! Sure, they all offer a free trial period. All the Internet Radio channels that I sampled didn't do it for me, - full of commercials.
How did I get to this from my original intention of listening to my tunes collection from anywhere in my house?
Are there any good sites (like the old Napster) which I can choose my preferred tunes and not have to pay?
Is there any use for this thing without having to throw out more cash?
I've already spent hundreds on hardware and gotten nowhere.

·
Premium Member
1,759 Posts
I've painted myself into a corner...

The Requirement:
I have a collection of music (1350 tunes) I've downloaded over years at a former workplace. They are on three CD's. I recently loaded them on to an old MacBook, since it's the only thing I have with a CD drive, and has ITunes (ver 4.0), for management. The MacBook can't be upgraded, as it has a CPU that is extinct. I wired the MacBook to playback thru my audio console. The problem is that of portability , and confines me to one room for listening, (or an open door and very loud volume), LOL.

The Solution(s): My wish was to be able to listen to my music anywhere in the house or backyard. I researched and bought an Avantree OASIS which extends Bluetooth to cover my requirement. So now I've got an old MacBook playing my tunes into a component stereo setup feeding an extended range Bluetooth transmitter. The next thing I need is a portable wireless speaker of some kind, so I researched the net and found a popular choice was a SONOS Play 1, so that's what I bought.

Uh-Oh, a Problem: After unpacking the SONOS, I discover that it isn't the dumb wireless satellite speaker I required, but is an entire system of portable music which requires a mobile phone for control. The final touch is that it isn't even a Bluetooth device at all - it uses some proprietary Wi-Fi protocol to go through your router.

Well, maybe there's hope: Once I installed the SONOS App on my android, and paired them, I got the SONOS to show some signs of other-usefulness. It can play music from sources other than my own (but not necessarily my choices).

The Kicker: My brief exposure to using the SONOS in a manner other than which I originally intended, is that any music that I might want to hear requires a subscription fee of about ten bucks a month! Sure, they all offer a free trial period. All the Internet Radio channels that I sampled didn't do it for me, - full of commercials.
How did I get to this from my original intention of listening to my tunes collection from anywhere in my house?
Are there any good sites (like the old Napster) which I can choose my preferred tunes and not have to pay?
Is there any use for this thing without having to throw out more cash?
I've already spent hundreds on hardware and gotten nowhere.
I've been using Sonos for a while now and have a few speakers throughout the house. Best solution for your music library is to put it on a network drive (NAS) and point the Sonos app to that. I also use Spotify and Sirius with the Sonos and it works well.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Problem Solved - Took the SONOS back to Best Buy, and bought a BOSE Soundtouch 10. Same cost, but supports Wi-Fi AND Bluetooth, comes with a remote (as well as the cellphone control app), and sounds great too (at least as good as the Sonos, if not better). I've had a Bose 5.1 A/V system and a Klipsch 5.1 A/V system for a few years now and I'm happy with their performance. They make good stuff.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts