The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, folks. First time poster here.

I have a 90's Hagstrom Swede that I am going to rewire. My plan is to turn it into single vol/tone configuration, and remove the "Sound Filter" cct. I will be putting in a set of Lace Divinators. The intent is to use this guitar for some heavy/de-tuned/fuzzy fun.

My question is:

Aside from putting the unused components back in, but not apart of the circuit, what are some other ideas you have? I am not all that interested in coil spitting, or using any active electronics. I have thought about phase options, and a kill switch. Anything else you could suggest?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
3,794 Posts
Welcome to the group. Sorry, I don't do mods but you will get lots of input here.

·
Premium Member
26,104 Posts
The wiring, including the "Sound Filter" can be found here: https://www.hagstromguitars.com/fileadmin/_hagstrom/downloads/wiring-diagrams/Swede-Wiring.pdf

If the Divinators allow access to the junction between the two coils, I recommend using the Peavey T-60 Tone control. This pans from one coil w/no treble cut, through both coils, to both coils w/treble cut. If you're going to maintain the master volume, ideally, the pickups would go to their respective Tone controls first, and then the pickup selector, and finally the master volume. Hard to tell from the wiring diagram whether the Sound Filter switch could be usefully repurposed.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The wiring, including the "Sound Filter" can be found here: https://www.hagstromguitars.com/fileadmin/_hagstrom/downloads/wiring-diagrams/Swede-Wiring.pdf

If the Divinators allow access to the junction between the two coils, I recommend using the Peavey T-60 Tone control. This pans from one coil w/no treble cut, through both coils, to both coils w/treble cut. If you're going to maintain the master volume, ideally, the pickups would go to their respective Tone controls first, and then the pickup selector, and finally the master volume. Hard to tell from the wiring diagram whether the Sound Filter switch could be usefully repurposed.

If I used this, I'd have just enough room for everything. The phase switch would go to the sound filter location. Interesting. Maybe.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
26,104 Posts
I'm big on the way that the Jerry Donahue Telecaster uses phase-reversal. Normally, if you put two pickups out of phase, you get a very nasal tone, and a big drop in volume. No fun at all. The JD Tele does an interesting thing. It cuts the bass out of the neck pickup, and flips the phase. The result is a tone that sounds remarkably like the neck+middle "cluck" sound from a Strat, despite using the neck and bridge pickups. It's really remarkable.

Another thing you might consider is using something like the Reverend/G&L "contour" control. This Forces the pickup through a medium-small cap value, and provides a parallel path through a pot. When the pot is set to maximum resistance, only those frequencies that pass through the cap easily are heard, resulting in a bass cut. As the pot resistance is reduced, the cap has less and less of an effect, and the full pickup bandwidth reaches the volume pot. It's a bit like the "thin" sound on a Fender Jaguar, except instead of being all or none, you can vary it. And when it is set to minimum resistance, the pot+cap may as well not even be there.

If you were to run each pickup to its own "contour" control, and then from there to the master volume and tone, you could vary how "thin" each pickup sounds, and still preserve the hum cancellation that comes from two coils. MUCH quieter than mee coil-cancelling.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm big on the way that the Jerry Donahue Telecaster uses phase-reversal. Normally, if you put two pickups out of phase, you get a very nasal tone, and a big drop in volume. No fun at all. The JD Tele does an interesting thing. It cuts the bass out of the neck pickup, and flips the phase. The result is a tone that sounds remarkably like the neck+middle "cluck" sound from a Strat, despite using the neck and bridge pickups. It's really remarkable.

Another thing you might consider is using something like the Reverend/G&L "contour" control. This Forces the pickup through a medium-small cap value, and provides a parallel path through a pot. When the pot is set to maximum resistance, only those frequencies that pass through the cap easily are heard, resulting in a bass cut. As the pot resistance is reduced, the cap has less and less of an effect, and the full pickup bandwidth reaches the volume pot. It's a bit like the "thin" sound on a Fender Jaguar, except instead of being all or none, you can vary it. And when it is set to minimum resistance, the pot+cap may as well not even be there.

If you were to run each pickup to its own "contour" control, and then from there to the master volume and tone, you could vary how "thin" each pickup sounds, and still preserve the hum cancellation that comes from two coils. MUCH quieter than mee coil-cancelling.

I like this one. Looks fairly simple.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts