The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,
I have just begun to do some online 'research' on wireless guitar systems in the up to $300 budget range, and was wondering what people's thoughts and experiences have been with any of these systems.

I see that the U2 Xvive system is fairly new, and that Line 6, Boss, and a couple of other companies have products that all seem to be competitive with one another.

I am thinking about purchasing one of these for rehearsal room situations, and have questions about things like:

1. Interference from other wireless sources (e.g., mobile phones)

2. Audio fidelity (i.e., which of the available wireless units are the most similar, tonally, to cables plugged into guitars)

3. Robustness (read quite a few reviews saying that the Line 6 Relay system has problems with its battery door coming away

4. Comfort in use - the Line 6 Relay system looks bulky in comparison to other systems like the Boss and U2

So, what say you?

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
there was very recently exactly same thread talking about this. Let me try to find it for you
I am Line6 G10 user, and with the recent price decrease to 199, i think would be perfect for you

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Here is the thread
https://guitarscanada.com/index.php?threads/wireless-system-for-the-house.229590/

I also recently tried
Muslady NUX B-2 2.4G Guitar Wireless System Transmitter & Receiver with 4 Channels Built-in Rechargeable Lithium Battery for Electric Guitar Bass: Amazon.ca: Musical Instruments, Stage & Studio

but it didn't really work correctly in my home. It suffered from a lot of interference. When it was clear (not often), the sounds was different then regular cable - it sounded clear through the wireless and more sparkly which I liked. But couldn't make it to work consistently and returned it.

I think Line6 G10 has cable compensation built in hence its sound and sound via 10-15ft cable is to me identical.

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
I am a Line 6 G30 user. I can attest to the battery door being a pain the ass. Certain batteries don't fit properly because they are just a tad too long/short. My transmitter eventually died (my fault, I left a battery in there too long and they leaked), and I've replaced it with the TBP12

This this is legit. No issues with battery door wackiness, etc.

Now, onto the connection. Line 6 G30 operates in the 2.4ghz range, so you might get some interference from wifi routers. I had a router for my Mackie DL1608 that was 2.4ghz (old router that I cannibalized to band gear), and it caused a lot of issues. A 5G router solved that problem.

Long story short - wireless seems really good but can be a giant PITA. As Budda said, you have to spend to get and unless you're playing large stages, it's not worth it. I literally use my wireless for 30 mins before a show to do soundcheck with my iPad from the floor of the venue. Once soundcheck it done, I turn the wireless off and plug-in.

I will say this, though, when the wireless works, the G30 sounds great. With no interference, the connection is solid. I've done the whole "solo out in the crowd/on the dancefloor" thing and it's been fine. The tone is great and signal is very strong. Some of the higher-end Line 6 stuff have scanners built-in so they can automatically find a channel that has the least amount of interference for you, but that's way above your budget.

·
Premium Member
4,200 Posts
I've been using a Line6 G30 for about 8 years now. I have read about the router issues but I have never had any problems. My router is in my studio and I have used that wireless system without any issues whatsoever. I use it all the time, for rehearsals and gigs. I also have Line6 G10 which I find is less neutral than the G30. So for your budget, I would recommend the G30. One caveat, be prepared to use a lot of batteries. 2 batteries last about 6-8 hours. I buy the cheap batteries that you can buy in bulk. I have not noticed any big difference between battery brands.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi bigboki, Budda, cboutilier and hollowbody,
Many thanks for these very helpful replies.

I am glad that I asked about interference, and discouraged by the difficulties it seems I am likely to encounter.

I can also see that, in addition to rehearsing, I might get lazy and want to use the unit at home, and I live in an apartment, so I am sure that interference would be a big problem in that environment.

Also, after having thought about it for a while, I know that the Line 6 Relay unit is just too big and bulky for me, and that if I do end up buying something, I will go with something more like the Xvive, Boss, in terms of size.

cboutilier, thank you, I did see that King Loudness was selling one, but I do not have privileges to respond to messages in the for sale forum, and thought that I would prefer to buy new, especially from L & M, as I can take it back if it does not perform well (if I buy one, that is).

bigboki, thank you for searching out that thread, and for the information you gave about the unit you tried.

I really like this forum. Thanks again, guys.

Reactions: hollowbody

·
Premium Member
'59 LP Junior & Danocaster T
863 Posts
@King Loudness is selling one right now.
No spam intended, but I have an XVive U2 wireless that I'm selling. They retail new for about $200 and I'm selling for less. They're a great, portable unit with about 100ft range, and 4 channels. Only selling to help fund some other gear purchases being made.

W.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've been using a Line6 G30 for about 8 years now. I have read about the router issues but I have never had any problems. My router is in my studio and I have used that wireless system without any issues whatsoever. I use it all the time, for rehearsals and gigs. I also have Line6 G10 which I find is less neutral than the G30. So for your budget, I would recommend the G30. One caveat, be prepared to use a lot of batteries. 2 batteries last about 6-8 hours. I buy the cheap batteries that you can buy in bulk. I have not noticed any big difference between battery brands.
Hey Chito,
Many thanks for this.

It is strange how a lot of people seem to have either a very good experience of some of these units, or a pretty bad experience, but few people have a ho-hum (pun intended!) experience.

Thanks, again.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No spam intended, but I have an XVive U2 wireless that I'm selling. They retail new for about $200 and I'm selling for less. They're a great, portable unit with about 100ft range, and 4 channels. Only selling to help fund some other gear purchases being made.

W.
Hi King Loudness,
No problem at all. I did actually see your Xvive for sale, but I do not have privileges to reply or post in that forum, and then I thought that at the prices they are selling the units, I would probably rather get one new.

So, thank you, but I will pass, I think.

Have you had any problems with interference at all?

·
Premium Member
4,200 Posts
You're welcome Geert! It's one gear that I have not replaced over the years. BTW, to those who want one for their acoustic, that's what I use the G10 for. Its very convenient to use.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You're welcome Geert! It's one gear that I have not replaced over the years. BTW, to those who want one for their acoustic, that's what I use the G10 for. Its very convenient to use.
Hi Chito,
Just had a thought, sparked (ha ha) by what you said about batteries - have you ever used rechargeable batteries? I have saved a small fortune over the years by doing so (and like to think that I have saved the environment a little wear and tear).

The charger that I use most is a 15 minute one, which, for most part, lives up to its promise.

And I try to find batteries which are around the 3000 or 3,200 mAh range, although it is very difficult to find those now.

I also stick almost exclusively to Duracells, or if I am 'slumming it', Energizers.

The Duracells have been excellent - I have only had about 10 stop working, and those stopped on average about 5 years after I bought that, while others of that vintage are still going strong.

Anyway, just a thought.

P

·
0 Posts
Hi King Loudness,
No problem at all. I did actually see your Xvive for sale, but I do not have privileges to reply or post in that forum, and then I thought that at the prices they are selling the units, I would probably rather get one new.

If you want to contact a seller on that forum, give them a PM (private message).

·
Premium Member
4,200 Posts
It's sheer laziness on my part. LOL I get the store brand batteries from best buy, thesource, lowes etc.. and pay about $15-18 for a box of 48. Probably last me a year depending on how busy I get playing. And talking about the environment its the downside of using regular batteries. I have a whole box of dead batteries here right now

·
Premium Member
863 Posts
Hi King Loudness,

No problem, I understand that and expected it, but it was worth a shot :D

I haven't had any specific issues with the unit, they're a good portable solution that won't break the bank. I'm selling along with a lot of other gear to help fund a custom guitar.

W.

·
Premium Member
863 Posts
Hi King Loudness,

No problem, I understand that and expected it, but it was worth a shot :D

I haven't had any specific issues with the unit, they're a good portable solution that won't break the bank. I'm selling along with a lot of other gear to help fund a custom guitar.

W.

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
It's sheer laziness on my part. LOL I get the store brand batteries from best buy, thesource, lowes etc.. and pay about $15-18 for a box of 48. Probably last me a year depending on how busy I get playing. And talking about the environment its the downside of using regular batteries. I have a whole box of dead batteries here right now
I do the same thing. 48 packs of AAs. I keep a couple pairs in my pedalboard case in case I need to swap during a show or something. They work fine.

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
I've been using a Line6 G30 for about 8 years now. I have read about the router issues but I have never had any problems. My router is in my studio and I have used that wireless system without any issues whatsoever.
I am glad that I asked about interference, and discouraged by the difficulties it seems I am likely to encounter.

I can also see that, in addition to rehearsing, I might get lazy and want to use the unit at home, and I live in an apartment, so I am sure that interference would be a big problem in that environment.
Chito, are you connecting to your router in 5G? Once I got a new router and disabled the 2.4G network, I hardly ever encounter interference between my mixer setup and my G30. But going into a performance space with their own light rigs, wireless rigs, etc., it's always a bit of a gamble. I really want to upgrade to a nicer wireless rig, but given that I only really use it for soundcheck and certainly don't "need" it for the actual show, I'm hesitant to spend the money.

Geert, the interference is manageable once you know what the issues might be and how to account for them, but yes...the issues are real. Some venues, I'll be walking around during soundcheck and have clear signal all over. Other places I'll have signal in one spot, move a couple feet and completely lose the signal because I've walked into a space where another network is present more strongly.

·
Premium Member
4,200 Posts
@hollowbody I connect both in 5g and 2.4g. My router is on my studio desk so it's really very close. I've read of the issue you're having and I'm sure it happens but through my experience with it over the years I have never had issues with it. I've also played at other peoples houses and studios and different venues here in Ottawa with no issues.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts