The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stupid question but... capacitors sometimes come with those little sleeves on the wires to prevent anything coming in contact with them.

What are those called? and who sells it?

I assume must be sold as a roll, and probably something like fibreglass-woven... been poking around looking and most I can find is heat shrink tubing, or looms for large collections of wires like inside a computer case.

Probably easy to find... once you know what it's called. :D

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I'm trying to find the woven ones... literally no other reason than to make the wiring look better than it would with heat shrink or electrical tape etc. :D

I see it often on caps and even on LED lights... but been elusive to find for sale. I've seen pre-made wiring harnesses for Les Pauls and Strats that have it on, so someone must sell it. Hopefully Princess Auto or Home Hardware, but not seeing it.

EDIT - Found this... 30AWG should be about right I think... though I think in the UK so, price + ship, a bit much I think... yup, cheapest is $24 to ship. I'll keep looking. :D

Non-Fraying Braided Fiberglass Sleeving

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Finally found some on eBay though if wanting black or another colour seems 2mm is the minimum size which is fine. Pretty cheap. Apparently need to search for "silicon fibre glass insulated tube" not loom or sleeve etc...

It's small stuff like that that drives you nuts because you know it exists... just can't find it. :D

Now to find some vintage wiring.

I work at a repair shop for appliances and ever so often we get a wire harness for something like a higher end stove and really nice insulated woven wiring in a bunch of colours. The old one they just toss it out... usually what's attached to end is faulty, wire is good, so I snag it when I can find it. Hopefully some more comes in soon.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts