The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seeing many of you are complaining about the changing weather with winter coming, I thought I might help a little and post this link. I found excellent winter tires for my Pathfinder for $250.00 less than going to a local tire garage. You can search by vehicle or tire size and a couple other ways. There are other sites, I'm sure but this seems to be a good one.

Shopping Cart - PMCtire Canada

·
Premium Member
64 Gretsch 6120, 65 Fender Tremolux and a 58 Supro 1624T
3,108 Posts
I've tried cheap tires, some things just are worth skimping on. Only thing between you and the road is your rubber and I'd rather pay a little extra for reliability. I learned that lesson the hard way.

·
Registered
3,567 Posts
yeah my winter tires are potentially getting replaced next week....they *might* be good for another season, but I'd rather have fresh treads

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
I've tried cheap tires, some things just are worth skimping on. Only thing between you and the road is your rubber and I'd rather pay a little extra for reliability. I learned that lesson the hard way.
Tires and brakes.

·
Registered
11,224 Posts
Why not spend a little more and support local business? If you have troubles down the road I'm sure they'd be a better help than some website you used to save a few bucks.

Who is going to mount and balance the set? (I assume you're just buying the rubber) In the end you're just nickel and diming yourself with all the effort and running around, probably won't be worth it.

·
Premium Member
5,163 Posts
Prices aren't that good. As an example, I bought a set of Michelin Defender today in P205/55R16 for $153 per tire. Same tire on the website is $150.09

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Prices aren't that good. As an example, I bought a set of Michelin Defender today in P205/55R16 for $153 per tire. Same tire on the website is $150.09
Then you got yourself a very good deal.

·
Premium Member
9,725 Posts
I find Costco s tire prices to be quite good, and they come with a pretty comprehensive warranty. Getting an appointment sometimes isn't so good.

·
Registered
5,492 Posts
I've been pleasantly surprised by cheap tires before. And dissapointed by expensive tires. It's always a gamble. Worst winter tires ive ever had were Hankook. Best ive ever had is tied between Toyo and some off brand cheap Chinese tire on my work van.

I know one of the cheap brands, the name escapes me, bought up the old Michelin factories and tooling. They are selling old Michelin patterns at less than half the price.

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've been pleasantly surprised by cheap tires before. And dissapointed by expensive tires. It's always a gamble. Worst winter tires ive ever had were Hankook. Best ive ever had is tied between Toyo and some off brand cheap Chinese tire on my work van.

I know one of the cheap brands, the name escapes me, bought up the old Michelin factories and tooling. They are selling old Michelin patterns at less than half the price.
Michelin, Goodyear and a few other biggies are like Gibson, Fender and PRS. You are paying for the name.

I've got friends in low places......
:)

and the deal just races to come to you.......

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Anyone know where the major brands are made.
Google can tell you. There is a plant in Napanee and one in the valley in NS that I know of but the major mfrs. have plants all over the world.

·
Premium Member
11,842 Posts
Why not spend a little more and support local business? If you have troubles down the road I'm sure they'd be a better help than some website you used to save a few bucks.

Who is going to mount and balance the set? (I assume you're just buying the rubber) In the end you're just nickel and diming yourself with all the effort and running around, probably won't be worth it.
Yep! I got a flat at the first cold snap last year, after just putting my snows on. The tire shops were lined up around the block doing installations but my guy interrupted what he was doing to fix my flat in 1/2 hour.

Try doing that with an on-line dealer or the guy in the states that shipped you those tires to the border. Customer service is worth $15/tire - especially considering you don't buy them every year.

I find it remarkably stupid how cheap some people are. And they are the first to rail on about 'lack of service' in this new world of no brick and mortar stores.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Michelin, Goodyear and a few other biggies are like Gibson, Fender and PRS. You are paying for the name.
These are tires we are talking about which are not just meant to rest your car on but an actual safety item. Somewhat different from guitars.

·
Registered
13,263 Posts
If I order some now can I get them put on sunday? Nope. And if they sit at the border someone else will have to pick them up. No savings buying on line as far as I'm concerned.

·
Registered
18,560 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
These are tires we are talking about which are not just meant to rest your car on but an actual safety item. Somewhat different from guitars.
Not in the marketing aspect. They are both products and if a company can get you to pay more because of their name, they will do it. And they do.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts