The Canadian Guitar Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Yo.
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In case you guys ever get an older computer or you didn't upgrade your Windows 7/8 machine and want to upgrade to Windows 10 legally AND free, directly from Microsoft, check this out:

Windows 10 upgrade for assistive technology users

It's supposed to be for folks who use "assistive technologies" (see: visually impaired), but they're very vague about what this really means. I remember someone who once asked Microsoft directly what it meant and if they could still download the upgrade even if they didn't have assistive tech. Microsoft just pretty much said we're not going to verify that you do and left it very vague. So to me, this seems like they let an intentional loophole.

Go ahead, download it, and enjoy Windows 10 for free. Please do yourself a favour and upgrade especially if you still have Windows 8. UGH.

·
Registered
15,292 Posts
In case you guys ever get an older computer or you didn't upgrade your Windows 7/8 machine and want to upgrade to Windows 10 legally AND free, directly from Microsoft, check this out:

Windows 10 upgrade for assistive technology users

It's supposed to be for folks who use "assistive technologies" (see: visually impaired), but they're very vague about what this really means. I remember someone who once asked Microsoft directly what it meant and if they could still download the upgrade even if they didn't have assistive tech. Microsoft just pretty much said we're not going to verify that you do and left it very vague. So to me, this seems like they let an intentional loophole.

Go ahead, download it, and enjoy Windows 10 for free. Please do yourself a favour and upgrade especially if you still have Windows 8. UGH.
How about xp and older? One of the laptops here runs win. 10.....the granddaughters use it, I don't. Maybe I'll see if I can get it to load on a windows tablet I have....can't be any worse than what's on there.

·
Banned
11,532 Posts
I am perfectly happy with Windows 7 and have no desire to upgrade to 10. But I have a desktop that needs Windows reloaded so maybe I will check out 10 for a short time on that machine and then revert to 7.

·
Premium Member
11,814 Posts
I tried installing win 10 on my win7 machines a year ago....wouldn't take. Supposedly they didn't meet it's hw requirements. Might try this now.
Thanks given.

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
That reminds me of the intentional loophole on Adobe where you can get older versions of most of their software like photoshop, audition, after effects, etc for free, it's technically only for people who used to own their software but people download it anyway and even make YouTube videos about it

·
Registered
15,292 Posts
Tried it on the tablet.....not enough Hdd space even tho it says 10 needs 8 gigs and there is 20 gigs free space on the tablet. This laptop meets all the requirements but it keeps on saying there is a problem and searching finally came up with an error code. Not worth trying AFAIC.

·
Registered
15,292 Posts
Not sure if it's meant for tablets. I've done this for all my desktops and laptops with no issues. It just takes a hell of a time to download and install.
It's a windows tablet and it says it will work on it but that there is not enough space. The error code it comes up with on the laptop is for "Access Denied" and 10 will not install. I'll pass. As an aside a found a site that shows you how to install windows XP or 7 or 8 on an android tablet.....as either a single or dual system. I'll give that a try on an older tablet.

·
Premium Member
11,814 Posts
Installed perfectly on both my laptop and desktop. It's a very different installer than they used to use that didn't work for me.

Thanks again OP!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.