The Canadian Guitar Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Working on my Kay K-20 SG, which is becoming an SG-Tele... and debating pickups.

My first choice were the IronGear Steel Foundry Overwounds, but after exchange, shipping, and shipping is DHL so probably import/duty fees and being DHL, probably double the price what it should be.... so started looking at cheaper options.

GFS after ship/exchange isn't far from IronGear, and I don't want to go super cheap with the ceramic unbranded eBay China ones.

Looking at the Wilkinson '60s WVT Alnico V's... about $65CAD for a set, free ship... China so maybe by Xmas?

Anyone have any experience with these? Would they be any good with distortion? I know the brand, kinda the lower-end Gotoh for hardware, but I have no experience with their pickups. Use to be cheap, but price has gone up the past year or so and I hear people say they're decent upgrades for stock pickups on cheap guitar. Seems the only demo's I can find are clean channel only. The IronGear's I know can do some great rock sounds (demo).

The unknown DHL fee for import/duty/brokerage aside, the IronGear would be around $120CAD after shipping for a matched set. Debating if worth the double price.

Been watching for used on Kijiji, but usually too far away to make it any cheaper.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Any good?

I have a set of unknown Wilkinson's in that old Hagstrom I bought but not working... wiring is a mess and never fixed it because I have other parts on order for a rebuild of it.

Speaking of... wow... been about 3 months and they (Hagstrom) still have my parts on order. Very annoying.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts